BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so detailing cars is addicting. My friend's been driving an old dark gray/black civic who's paint has been largely ignored. This means spray wax at a machine car wash :yikes: :mad:

So we decided to at least treat it nicely for once, give it a good wash and wax job. After washing with Meguiars Gold Class, I took out a clay bar. He didn't believe me that this would work miracles. Well his hood was smoother than it's been in years. But it was getting dark so we only clay barred the hood.

Anyway we used Mother's wax (I had this from an older car), and waxed up the entire car. Then we grabed some good MF towels and started buffing the wax off, or should I say TRIED to buff the wax off. For whatever reason the wax just didn't want to come off. It took us an hour or two to strip the wax off by hand.

Why was it so hard to do this? Did we just leave hte wax on too long (ie wax the whole car then buff off)? Or was it because the paint was in such bad condition prior to waxing? There were lots of pits, and chips all across the car, but even the smooth parts had trouble getting the wax off.

So aside from the chips and pits (some of which now have nice little white dots where the wax is permanently stuck), the car looks 1000 times better. But I'm a little sore and frustrated from all of the extra work. Incidently I tried to rewax a section of the hood, and let it dry for 2 minutes, and the wax came right off. So either the car just desperately needed waxing, or we let hte wax dry too long in my opinion.

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
You have to prep a neglected finish for wax. Try using an aggressive polish or at least a pretty strong cleaner first. If you use polish, you'll need to step down to finer compounds until you have a smooth finish. You'll really need a PC to get the paint prepared for wax.

For this job, just pick up a bottle of Meguiars Deep Crystal Cleaner for $6 (can be found at Pep Boys or the like). But again, best with a PC or other RO. This is what this stuff and a few passes will do to badly oxidized paint.

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy Cow -that's one hell of a before/after picture!! Well it's too late - we struggled through it yesterday. If I were smart I'd have only waxed one panel first. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
Yes I agree the surface was not properly prepared. The surface should have been clayed, polished, and cleaned before waxing. The wax is stuck in all the dirt, containments and uneven surfaces.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts