BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Alpine White 325. I take it to the carwash every two weeks or so. How often should I wax the car? Every month? And what brand should I use?

Thanks in advance,
Will

·
Registered
305 Posts
you know, my dealer convinced me to buy the teflon paint sealer, and also indicted that I should "never" wax the car with this stuff on it (in fact he said don't wax it without it either because it wasn't good for the paint). But I have a hard time believing this. how do you not wax a car and expect the paint to be adequately protected (especially without paint sealant)? Anyhow, don't think you need to do it more than two or three times a year, depending on certain conditions (e.g., garage kept, bird droppings, tree sap exposure, etc.) Any body else know anything about what my dealer reported to me re: paint sealant and "don't wax).
psyran

·
Registered
53 Posts
Waxing

Will,

I also have an Alpine White E90, I used a clay bar first, then used Klasse AIO as a cleaner/sealant, followed with Four Star UPP. For details on waxing/detailing, go here: www.autopia.org. BTW, maybe I'll see you on the road, we are both in the SFV.

Rad21 :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,346 Posts
psychrunner said:
you know, my dealer convinced me to buy the teflon paint sealer, and also indicted that I should "never" wax the car with this stuff on it (in fact he said don't wax it without it either because it wasn't good for the paint). But I have a hard time believing this. how do you not wax a car and expect the paint to be adequately protected (especially without paint sealant)? Anyhow, don't think you need to do it more than two or three times a year, depending on certain conditions (e.g., garage kept, bird droppings, tree sap exposure, etc.) Any body else know anything about what my dealer reported to me re: paint sealant and "don't wax).
psyran
Paint sealant is nothing more that a glorified paint job that is a cash cow for the dealer. A car should receive a full was job a least twice a year, or when the water no longer beads off it.

·
Ich bin ein Bimmerer
1,241 Posts
psychrunner, please review the info JonM (TOGWT) posted in this thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98785

TOGWT said:
Teflon ®:
A synthetic polymer formula (PTFE) produced by Dupont Chemicals, they state;" The addition of a Teflon® fluoropolymer paint does nothing to enhance the properties of any car wax, we have no data that indicates the use of Teflon® to be beneficial in car waxes.

Teflon® requires a temperature of 680°F for it to sinter or bond to a surface." Unless you can heat the surface to the required temperature, Teflon will not bond, the claim that it will provide a 'non-stick', slippery surface is nothing more than marketing hype (i.e. brand recognition)
JonM
LDV is right on, from what I now understand of Teflon.

·
Hated by hater haters
1,652 Posts
How often you wax depends on a lot of factors: type of wax, environment, garaging, weather, etc.

In general carnuba-based waxes aren't as durable as polymer-based, so if you use a carnuba you need to reapply it more often. I used to use Zymol (carnuba) and it would only last a month at most. Now I've started using Zaino (polymer) and most say it last 3-6 months before you need to apply again.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
RSPDiver said:
psychrunner, please review the info JonM (TOGWT) posted in this thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98785

LDV is right on, from what I now understand of Teflon.
Teflon must be baked onto a surface in order to stick. I have a hard time believing that actual Teflon-based product can be applied at the dealership and have the intended longterm protective affects. 685 degrees F is required I believe in order to adhere Teflon "permanently" to a metallic surface.

Think about it this way. If you have a Teflon-coated frying pan that you love on Sunday mornings when you cook eggs, the Teflon stays "coated" to the steel pan separating the steel from your egg at cooking temperatures (say 250-300 degrees). Anybody selling some kind of spray job with Teflon on a car is probably doing some other kind of job on their customer....if you know what I mean!

I would love to hear someone shoot down this line of thinking because a Teflon-like product to protect paint longterm sounds very interesting but I just haven't seen or heard evidence of this being viable.

Until then....Klasse AIO and SG once every 6-8 months does it for me. :thumbup:

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
I would guess the dealer applied Teflon paint sealer is about as effective as a dealer offered invisible force field.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Artslinger said:
I would guess the dealer applied Teflon paint sealer is about as effective as a dealer offered invisible force field.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You mean the extra $2000 I paid for "Warp Drive" was a waste ?

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,346 Posts
And if you believe DuPont BS you can now buy their new line of Teflon car care products.

DuPont's new Teflon Products are a unique breakthrough in automotive chemistry. The non-stick Teflon coating leaves an invisible protective barrier to protect the interior and exterior of your vehicle from unwanted dirt, mud, grime, scratches, and dust.

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
Will the Teflon car wash leave a "protective barrier" on your hand after washing your car?
"protective barrier" is a very lose term.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Teflon is just a trade name these days~~

people recognise Teflon as non-stick coatings. Anything with Teflon much be good.
whether this is actually the case or not, people will buy it. That's what matter to the company.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Artslinger said:
Will the Teflon car wash leave a "protective barrier" on your hand after washing your car?
"protective barrier" is a very lose term.
I'll just build a moat around my castle...errr....car as a protective barrier !

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
Well you know how whether or not your pan is non-stick, you spray PAM on it to prevent food from sticking. Well - why not just spray pam all over your car! It will prevent dirt and grime from sticking, and if you're car is really clean (you're reading the detailing forum so of course your car is clean!), then you can cook some eggs on it while you drive to work! SCORE!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
icemanjs4 said:
Well you know how whether or not your pan is non-stick, you spray PAM on it to prevent food from sticking. Well - why not just spray pam all over your car! It will prevent dirt and grime from sticking, and if you're car is really clean (you're reading the detailing forum so of course your car is clean!), then you can cook some eggs on it while you drive to work! SCORE!
:thumbup: I'm with you on the eggs....especially here in Arizona in July. You want those sunny-side up?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Teflon doesn't work in car applications.

If the car is parked outside and is a daily driver, figure using a carnuba wax every 6-8 weeks or a quality synthetic sealant every 3-6 months. If you live in the snow areas at the very least, rewax w/ synthetic right before snow hits to protect against the dirt and salt and do your major spring detail (including swirl removal) after the snow clears with the protectant of your choice.

As for the dealer applied stuff, if you read the fine print, you must reapply it every year for it to be the "lifetime" protectant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts