BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you noticed that the 2007 G35 sedan and the new Lexus IS have the sculpted body like the new BMWs? Although we hate him, Bangle seems to be the trend setter. In addition, both have dual exhaust.
 

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
Joined
·
4,571 Posts
Car companies always copy each other. I imagine as long as people will use vehicles, this will continue to happen.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,191 Posts
330soon2b said:
Have you noticed that the 2007 G35 sedan and the new Lexus IS have the sculpted body like the new BMWs? Although we hate him, Bangle seems to be the trend setter. In addition, both have dual exhaust.
Yeah, it's funny. It's like they're chasing BMW, but misinterpreting why we buy BMWs in the first place. Don't worry about making them look like BMW, focus instead on making them drive like BMW.

Styling is important, but we want an emphasis more towards sports-sedan whereas they want to emphasize luxury-sedan. Example is the IS350 not even offered with a stick.

On the other hand, in some ways, BMW seems to be leading, yet trying to copy it's followers by trying to be bigger and more luxurious.
 

·
Tar Heel Faithful
Joined
·
14,127 Posts
Yup, old news. BMW comes with new stuff, and everyone bashes it. Then the other makers copy off BMW, and there's less criticism after that. Way too many examples to list. :tsk:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Just look at the new S class. It is basically a seven series... with I drive... but now everyone likes it. I just do not get it:dunno:
 

·
lurking
Joined
·
18,069 Posts
lots of have copied the original is300 rear lights as well. imho, all car companies copy a bit from each other.
 

·
BMW Fahrer
Joined
·
4,674 Posts
AzNMpower32 said:
BMW comes with new stuff, and everyone bashes it.
I for one don't recall any bashing at all when the E39 5 series or the E38 7 series came out... I do recall a lot of gushing... :dunno:

The E46 was only bashed about the Japanese-look-alike rear lights. The E39 and E46 were praised for their interiors as well. Many reviewers were asking why don't the competition simply clone these cars, and be done with it?

Those days of unanimous praise are long gone. And BMW seems intent to keep them that way... :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rob325_in_AZ said:
Yeah, it's funny. It's like they're chasing BMW, but misinterpreting why we buy BMWs in the first place. Don't worry about making them look like BMW, focus instead on making them drive like BMW.

Styling is important, but we want an emphasis more towards sports-sedan whereas they want to emphasize luxury-sedan. Example is the IS350 not even offered with a stick.

On the other hand, in some ways, BMW seems to be leading, yet trying to copy it's followers by trying to be bigger and more luxurious.
Excellent point. I just thought it was kind of funny that Bangle gets such a hard time, but now everyone is following his design trend so there is really no way to get away from the Bangle design. The man is a frigin genius!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,191 Posts
330soon2b said:
Excellent point. I just thought it was kind of funny that Bangle gets such a hard time, but now everyone is following his design trend so there is really no way to get away from the Bangle design. The man is a frigin genius!
Yeah, my understanding is that Bangle was also heavily involved in our beloved e46 design. So I'll give credit where it's due. :)
 

·
lurking
Joined
·
18,069 Posts
Rob325_in_AZ said:
Yeah, my understanding is that Bangle was also heavily involved in our beloved e46 design. So I'll give credit where it's due. :)
but under the control of wolfgang reitzle who also designed the lincoln LS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
I was not the biggest Bangle fan when he first revealed his work (post e46). I must say, the styling and ergonomics have really grown on me. I was washing my car the other day and began to really appreciate the thoroughbred muscular lines of the car. With the sport wheels and/or the M models simply look incredible. I am also a big fan of i-drive and would seriously miss driving any car without it. I think Bangle is slowly transforming BMW to the Apple of the automobile industry and others are trying unsuccessfully to follow.

I see you guys have noted the new Infiniti and Mercedes but have you seen the back of the new Lexus LS? Wow!
 

·
Tar Heel Faithful
Joined
·
14,127 Posts
adc said:
I for one don't recall any bashing at all when the E39 5 series or the E38 7 series came out... I do recall a lot of gushing... :dunno:

The E46 was only bashed about the Japanese-look-alike rear lights. The E39 and E46 were praised for their interiors as well. Many reviewers were asking why don't the competition simply clone these cars, and be done with it?

Those days of unanimous praise are long gone. And BMW seems intent to keep them that way... :(
Well I love the e38 and e39, so I guess you're right.

I meant more recent stuff, like iDrive......Bangle-butt.....ya know what I like to call the "new" BMWs meaning ever since BMW got into this whole controversy business. I guess controversy = love or hate = more attention = more sales.

What happened to the good ol' days?:banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
I think Bangle did a great job. Everybody was so against the new 3series before it came out and now we all love it and want it. People are affraid of change, but change is good sometimes. And I'm sure people will have record sales on the new Coupe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Adrian van Hooydonk designed the 7-series that started the flame surfacing line of designs (he later drew the 6-series as well).

Joji Nagashima designed the E90 and E91 bodies.

Chris Bangle directed and influenced these efforts, but he did not pen the designs.

Credits where credits are due.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
330soon2b said:
Have you noticed that the 2007 G35 sedan and the new Lexus IS have the sculpted body like the new BMWs? Although we hate him, Bangle seems to be the trend setter. In addition, both have dual exhaust.
I don't. I think the Bangle designs are beautiful, and it's a case where "a prophet is not being recognised in his place".
 

·
No shirt-No shoes-No dice
Joined
·
129 Posts
Interesting how this topic resurfaces every few months. Just do a search on Bangle-bashing and watch what pops up.

There's quite a bit of drama on this site regarding opinions of the Bangle designs. For many, the new designs are sexy, muscular and unique, and as pointed out, copycats have emerged. There are also a good number of fence-sitters who eventually appreciate the new design, albeit begrudgingly. And then you have the so-called enthusiasts who have disdain for any car that includes a little luxury and technology. Some of their opinions are really beginning to get on my nerves as I read thru the various posts. I've been "schooled" by more than a few here on how my E90 is a fat pig of an underpowered, numb, poseur-mobile. It's implied quite often that I love my car because I'm just a badge-buying idiot who doesn't know better. For some of you new B'festers, prepare yourselves for this elitist, race-car-driver-wannabe, snobbery.

Of course, I clearly know nothing about driving, because I've never autocrossed a modded E36. :rolleyes:

But I digress...

My own opinion is that after the E46 era, BMW designers had to do something shocking, controversial and just plain different to stay ahead, especially with competitors getting horsepower happy. Considering how many reviewers have stopped just short of calling the cars ugly, sales have been remarkable. I'd say Bangle did his job in approving the new designs. Unfortunately, a lot of folks wanted only minor modifications to the previous looks, thus the neverending diatribes on why Bangle should be strung up.

All I know is that I'm eminently satisfied with my E90. I get compliments on the looks all the time, and the driving experience is a blast. Best money I've ever spent on a car, no question.

Cheers!
 

·
just like that, he's gone
2016 BMW 535 M-Sport
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
hey at least they are willing to fix the designs once out, the new 750 is head and shoulders easier on the eye's than the 02-05's. The tailights and headlights were the main eyesore IMO.

Don't be surprised if they tweak the new 3's tailights to a design more like the new 335 coupe's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
330soon2b said:
] Although we hate him, Bangle seems to be the trend setter. In addition, both have dual exhaust.
Next time, speak for yourself and not everyone else. Bangle is the best thing to happen to BMW if you ask me, and I certainly dont hate him. I'll take any of his (influenced) designs over the plain ass previous gen 3, 5, or 7'ers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LoveTAH said:
Next time, speak for yourself and not everyone else. Bangle is the best thing to happen to BMW if you ask me, and I certainly dont hate him. I'll take any of his (influenced) designs over the plain ass previous gen 3, 5, or 7'ers.
Your point is well taken. I should not speak for everyone. However, I love that there was MASSIVE criticism of the new BMW designs, but now many of the car makers are following BMW. Even though many people don't like the new designs where do those buyers go? The alternatives are following BMW, so no matter what, you end up with the new design. Bangle finally gets the last laugh. :rofl:
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top