BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

· Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW Financial Services next month is kicking off BMW On Demand USA - a service the company already provides in European cities - that enables people to easily rent a BMW by the hour, day or week from dealerships..article below. Looks like Walmart shoppers will be able to rent a 328i and I bet they will all be luxury line....:rofl:

http://ultimatedrivingmachineforum.com/bmw-forum/showthread.php?t=13381

· Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it only for entry-level models like 128 and 328, or can you rent at least an inline-6?
it actually says you may be able to rent M5s and 7-series. High school reunions will never be the same...:rofl:

· Worlds Foremost Authority
22,293 Posts
LOL, no kidding.
If i decide to go to Walmart I might have to rent one.
Over the years I rented a number of nice cars from Hertz including Mercedes C and E Class Sedans, Shelby GT Coupes and Convertibles, and Audi A4 Cabrio and a variety of Jaguars icluding XK8 convertibles and XJ Sedans including an XJ Sport and a Vanden Plas.

There are also rental agencies that will rent Ferraris, Bentleys, etc. but they tend to be very expensive. The Hertz Prestige Collection rentals were relatively reasonable.

· Audi-Bimmer Fan
1,109 Posts
I wonder how BMW will put this on their balance sheet. As a separate line item or lumped into the overall number of vehicles sold in the U.S. If the later, it could be a sign that sales is slowing down and they need this to sustain growth. By doing so, they can sell cars to dealerships at a discount to be used as rentals and after a couple of years in circulation, they will go on the CPO market. It's a win-win situation for BMW and is actually a good idea. The downside and potential backfire is if this actually has the reverse effect and lower sales due to dilution of the brand. They are making BMW accessible to all now, good for those who want a long-term test drive before buying, but bad if people don't see a reason to buy one if they can simply rent one when they need to.

Like someone else mentioned, your Friday night date or HS prom will never be the same. It's in pilot and it can fail miserably, but BMW has the opportunity to pull out if not successful. Just not sure why I would want to rent an M3 or M5 just for a few hours or the weekend. High-end rental is not a great business without a membership fees.

BTW, in SF 328's are rentable through ZipCar. I've seen a few around and it must have been a refurbished lemon.

· Audi-Bimmer Fan
1,109 Posts
Over the years I rented a number of nice cars from Hertz including Mercedes C and E Class Sedans, Shelby GT Coupes and Convertibles, and Audi A4 Cabrio and a variety of Jaguars icluding XK8 convertibles and XJ Sedans including an XJ Sport and a Vanden Plas.

There are also rental agencies that will rent Ferraris, Bentleys, etc. but they tend to be very expensive. The Hertz Prestige Collection rentals were relatively reasonable.
High-end rentals with Ferrari's, Lambo's, etc usually are part of a car club membership. There are a few places like Vegas and Miami where you can live your dreams by renting these things, but they are not commonly accessible by the masses. Membership fees are not cheap and reserving the model you want has a waiting list.

I looked at the Hertz collection once and all I saw were Infiniti's, Cadillac's, and Lincoln here in SF. Prices are reasonable, but 3x that of regular fleets that I don't have a problem driving when traveling.

22,293 Posts
High-end rentals with Ferrari's, Lambo's, etc usually are part of a car club membership. There are a few places like Vegas and Miami where you can live your dreams by renting these things, but they are not commonly accessible by the masses. Membership fees are not cheap and reserving the model you want has a waiting list.

I looked at the Hertz collection once and all I saw were Infiniti's, Cadillac's, and Lincoln here in SF. Prices are reasonable, but 3x that of regular fleets that I don't have a problem driving when traveling.
Hertz rented Jaguars a number of years ago when both Hertz and Jaguar were owned by Ford, The Shelby GTH cars were only available in 2006 (coupe) and 2007 (Convertible). I rented an E Class Mercedes from Hertz at Palm Beach International Airport last November and they also had Corvettes available. I just checked the Hertz web site and they have Mercedes E63 AMGs and Porsche Panameras available at PBI.

Most major cities have agencies that rent exotic cars and do not require you to be a member or pay a membership fee. One example is Gotham Dream Cars in NYC.

http://www.gothamdreamcars.com/?gclid=CMC_z4r7x7ECFQhN4AodkHEAUQ

Here is another with locations throughout the US

http://carefreelifestyle.com/car_in...fornia-today?gclid=CJ3d1dP7x7ECFYFo4Aods1MApw

Rates aren't cheap but there is no membership fee.

There are types of organizations like the Manhattan Classic Car Club that require you to be a member.

http://classiccarclubmanhattan.com/

CA

· Audi-Bimmer Fan
1,109 Posts
Hertz rented Jaguars a number of years ago when both Hertz and Jaguar were owned by Ford, The Shelby GTH cars were only available in 2006 (coupe) and 2007 (Convertible). I rented an E Class Mercedes from Hertz at Palm Beach International Airport last November and they also had Corvettes available.

Most major cities have agencies that rent exotic cars and do not require you to be a member or pay a membership fee. One example is Gotham Dream Cars in NYC.

http://www.gothamdreamcars.com/?gclid=CMC_z4r7x7ECFQhN4AodkHEAUQ

Here is another with locations throughout the US

http://carefreelifestyle.com/car_in...fornia-today?gclid=CJ3d1dP7x7ECFYFo4Aods1MApw

Rates aren't cheap but there is no membership fee.

There are types of organizations like the Manhattan Classic Car Club that require you to be a member.

http://classiccarclubmanhattan.com/

CA
Yup they aren't cheap. I wonder if those prices include insurance or if it is required as an additional cost. It would be interesting to see BMW's rental rates.

22,293 Posts
Yup they aren't cheap. I wonder if those prices include insurance or if it is required as an additional cost. It would be interesting to see BMW's rental rates.
If you have an American Express Card you can sign up for a service that will provide insurance on car rentals. I don't know if it applies to those exotic rental companies but it covered me on the Hertz Jaguar, Shelby, Mercedes, etc, rentals.

CA

· Registered
1,093 Posts
Already announced prices for Munich rentals and considering you can get an M5, M3 in Germany, the prices are very very reasonable for a day.

· BMW Platinum Visa® Member
9,089 Posts

· BMW Platinum Visa® Member
9,089 Posts
BMW expects the road to ownership will be paved with short-term car rentals.

The automaker is inviting customers in select markets in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut to rent its 328i sedan by the hour, day or week, starting on Aug. 13, through a pilot program called BMW on Demand

At the outset, 12 dealerships in the New York area will participate, and 100 of the 328i sedans, equipped with a technology package that includes a navigation system, will be rotated based on demand, according to Ed Robinson, president of BMW Financial Services.

Other BMW models may be added to the mix. After registering, customers would be directed to a Web site, Bmwondemandusa.com. Unlike other car-sharing programs, there is no membership fee. Cars are picked up and dropped off at dealerships.

The company, which introduced BMW on Demand first in its home market of Munich two years ago, is looking for customers who are willing to pay a premium for a luxury car, because they know they do not have to pay for insurance, maintenance, gas or parking, Mr. Robinson said. ***8220;They want the car when they want it,***8221; Mr. Robinson said. ***8220;They want a car they can enjoy and that fits their lifestyle.***8221;

The hourly rate is $35 and, if the car is returned by 6 p.m., the daily total is $140, he said. The overnight rate is $210. The weekend deal allows a Friday afternoon pickup and 9 a.m. Monday drop-off for $350, he said.

Full insurance coverage is included in the rental price, so customers are covered for liability and bodily injury, Mr. Robinson said. A customer involved in an accident would have to pay a $750 deductible, he added.

After a trial run of 90 to 120 days, BMW expects to evaluate the program and determine whether to continue it or expand it to other cities.

BJ

· Registered
4,167 Posts
I did ED and hugely enjoyed blasting on Autobahn with my pedestrian 335i. We have a plant close to Salzburg and two of my coworkers are going there in 3 weeks and are planning to rent BMW from Welt and go for Autobahn fun. When I get to go back to the Austria plant, I'm also planning an extra day to do the same - not necessarily with an M car.

Now, this said, why would anybody want to rent an M3 or M5 to drive it in U.S.? Or even a *35i. Really? I'm pretty sure there is a nice big clause in the rental agreement you can't take those cars on a racetrack. So, what's the point?

I mean, non-BMW people have no clue you are driving an M5, it's just a BMW. BMW people will probably laugh at you for renting it. Seems like a lose-lose proposition to me.

Now, at the Welt, that's a whole different story ...

· Registered
4,717 Posts
I did ED and hugely enjoyed blasting on Autobahn with my pedestrian 335i. We have a plant close to Salzburg and two of my coworkers are going there in 3 weeks and are planning to rent BMW from Welt and go for Autobahn fun. When I get to go back to the Austria plant, I'm also planning an extra day to do the same - not necessarily with an M car.

Now, this said, why would anybody want to rent an M3 or M5 to drive it in U.S.? Or even a *35i. Really? I'm pretty sure there is a nice big clause in the rental agreement you can't take those cars on a racetrack. So, what's the point?

I mean, non-BMW people have no clue you are driving an M5, it's just a BMW. BMW people will probably laugh at you for renting it. Seems like a lose-lose proposition to me.

Now, at the Welt, that's a whole different story ...
Driving an M at 150 mph in straight line is not the same as driving on a racetrack either. I would imagine BJ will like to rent an M if available, he knows a few years down the road he will join the mid-life crisis people. So this program should include the Ms.

· Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Driving an M at 150 mph in straight line is not the same as driving on a racetrack either. I would imagine BJ will like to rent an M if available, he knows a few years down the road he will join the mid-life crisis people. So this program should include the Ms.
yes but would the Walmart customers be able to handle the shock of BJ driving an M5? Their hopes and dreams of owning a luxury line 328i maybe be dashed forever witnessing such an event.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.