BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past couple weeks I had a feeling there was something wrong with my battery. It just seemed as if it was taking too long for everything to start up like it should. A couple days ago I noticed my headlights would be weak at immediate start up, then get brighter after a couple of seconds. I was going to call the dealership either today or tomorrow to have them check it out but the car had other plans. Yesterday I went to get the car washed, waxed, interior detail, etc. and after I walk away from the car and go sit down the attendant comes over to tell me he can't start my car. I go over there in attempt to start it with no luck. The engine won't turn and doesn't sound like it's even trying to. Some of the interior functions were working like lights and the screens between the gauges. The iDrive screen or the stereo wouldn't come on so it just wasn't looking good. The screens between the gauges were also giving me weird messages like the icons for ABS, power & active steering, cruise control, etc. Finally a screen came up that showed a picture of a battery and said low battery. I called roadside assistance, had them give me a jump and drove to the dealership to drop off the car, which by this time was after hours.

While the experience really sucked, the dealership took care of my car first thing this morning and got it back to me really fast. My keys also showed I was within range of an oil change so they did that too. Plus they washed it like usual and the car wash I was at felt bad for me so they gave me a whole bunch of free stuff in addition to the credit for a car wash I still have. It was my first "bad" experience with my bimmer but I guess it all turned out alright in the end.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
The battery in the E60 pretty close to the right tail light. All you have to do is unlatch and pull back a little bit of the trunk liner and voila (I actually think someone just recently posted pictures of an after market battery install process). Anyways, I bet some water got through the seal between the trunk and tail light and may have caused a short. Also, if you do a search on car washes, I'm sure you'll see posts by people with similar issues.

I don't have the luxury of mild winters here in PA so the only thing that really gets cleaned on my car are the rims this time of year (I only touch them up with a dry cloth when I check the tire pressures). I would suggest that you wash your car yourself - Zaino has a nice line of stuff that will make your car look like a pro detailed it. Once the warranty is up, you don't want your wallet dealing with electric issues on these cars.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
The battery in the E60 pretty close to the right tail light. All you have to do is unlatch and pull back a little bit of the trunk liner and voila (I actually think someone just recently posted pictures of an after market battery install process). Anyways, I bet some water got through the seal between the trunk and tail light and may have caused a short. Also, if you do a search on car washes, I'm sure you'll see posts by people with similar issues.

I don't have the luxury of mild winters here in PA so the only thing that really gets cleaned on my car are the rims this time of year (I only touch them up with a dry cloth when I check the tire pressures). I would suggest that you wash your car yourself - Zaino has a nice line of stuff that will make your car look like a pro detailed it. Once the warranty is up, you don't want your wallet dealing with electric issues on these cars.
He never had it washed that day, which is why they gave him a credit. They battery was on it's last legs and had been telling him so for weeks. He just waited one too many starts. :D

dj

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly. It's amazing how many minor "issues" my car would have on & off that have all disappeared since the new battery. It must have been a long time coming but glad it's all better now.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
He never had it washed that day, which is why they gave him a credit. They battery was on it's last legs and had been telling him so for weeks. He just waited one too many starts. :D

dj
I was, of course, referring to a possible scenario that COULD have happened had the attendant been able to wash the car. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well that is kinda what happened to me. First time my car left me stuck was at the car wash. At least mine made it through the wash, just died when they handed me the keys...

I was the one that posted the pictures on the battery swap. I was 600 miles over the 50K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts