BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 535 with what I believe are LED headlights. Like my previous 328 the light they throw is bright white but only goes a very short distance on low beam. High beam is fine but I cannot use them very often. Has anyone come up with a way to adjust them to throw a longer beam or a reasonable replacement LED bulb that does?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
I have a 2016 535 with what I believe are LED headlights...the light they throw is bright white but only goes a very short distance on low beam. High beam is fine but I cannot use them very often. Has anyone come up with a way to adjust them to throw a longer beam or a reasonable replacement LED bulb that does?

Thanks.
Help us help you better...determine which type of headlights you actually have. Do you actually have LED or do you have xenon or bi-xenon. It's important because the recommendation/suggestions may be different depending on which set-up you actually have. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My lights are adaptive (car is reasonably well optioned) and my 2016 328 had LEDs so I am guessing they are LEDs. There was nothing under the hood on the lights that I could see that identified them as HID or LED. It did say Hella and what appeared to be 10%. The lights do have horizontal piece of black plastic that cuts the lights in half if that helps.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,582 Posts
BMW Adaptive Headlight System ...

***8220;Legal Requirement
The swivel movement of the adaptive headlight is permitted within certain limits to protect oncoming traffic, i.e. to ensure oncoming traffic is not dazzled by the headlights.

The vehicle moves on a circular path when the driver turns the steering wheel. The circular path is defined by the movement of the wheels and the angle position of the front wheels.
In order not to dazzle the oncoming traffic, the salient point of the light/dark limit of the headlight must not be left of the circular path at a distance corresponding to 100 times the installation height of the headlight.

This conclusion for the light/dark limit refers to right-hand drive traffic. The conclusion relating to the light/dark limit applies symmetrically to left-hand drive traffic.***8221;

49CFR571 Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard §571.108 , Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My lights are adaptive (car is reasonably well optioned) and my 2016 328 had LEDs so I am guessing they are LEDs. There was nothing under the hood on the lights that I could see that identified them as HID or LED. It did say Hella and what appeared to be 10%. The lights do have horizontal piece of black plastic that cuts the lights in half if that helps.
I went to Ebay and it looks like these are the same as the LEDs being sold on ebay for this year vehicle.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I went to Ebay and it looks like these are the same as the LEDs being sold on ebay for this year vehicle.
From your other description, it does sound like you have LED. Qsilver was asking, most likely, because full LED is actually pretty rare on the F10's. Not alot of people optioned for that upgrade.

As Doug mentioned, you might be able to adjust them slightly, but do keep on coming drivers eyes in mind. LED (and HID) for that matter can be extremely bright when hit directly.

I dont know of any aftermarket replacement that would be brighter. I generally think of headlights in the following way:

Low Beams: Fill in the dark gap between street lights.
High Beams: Used when traveling at a speed that breaking distance exceeds the Low Beam illumination.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. These throw about the same distance as my 2016 328 and I know those were LED. Plus I assume since the adaptive feature is the upgrade (these do have the ability to automatically dim the high beams if I hit the button on the turn signal stalk) than they would be the LEDs.

So adjustment is it. For the extra cost of the LED you would think they would throw a reasonable distance.

Appreciate the input.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,582 Posts
MB has just recently suffered two safety recalls for headlight aim / adjustment. One for failure to securely plug vertical adjuster and the other for inadequate brightness. ***8220;Throw***8221; Bwahahaha!

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Thanks. These throw about the same distance as my 2016 328 and I know those were LED. Plus I assume since the adaptive feature is the upgrade (these do have the ability to automatically dim the high beams if I hit the button on the turn signal stalk) than they would be the LEDs.

So adjustment is it. For the extra cost of the LED you would think they would throw a reasonable distance.

Appreciate the input.
BMW adaptive headlight function:

https://youtu.be/VAgWS_V88bI

Not an F10, but the adjuster is in the same location:

https://youtu.be/RGEVeiIFPpY

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have a 2016 535 with what I believe are LED headlights. Like my previous 328 the light they throw is bright white but only goes a very short distance on low beam. High beam is fine but I cannot use them very often. Has anyone come up with a way to adjust them to throw a longer beam or a reasonable replacement LED bulb that does?

Thanks.
On my F10 with LED headlights (MY2014) the LED Headlights are CLEARLY marked on the outside of the headlight housing as LED. Both LED and HID can be Adaptive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While I prefer to use more erudite language, all I can say is Duhhhh. Right on the side it says BMW Adaptive LED. Mystery solved. Still does not resolve the issue of how I get the light to provide a longer beam but at least I know unequivocally what lights I have.

Thanks.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Still does not resolve the issue of how I get the light to provide a longer beam but at least I know unequivocally what lights I have.

Thanks.
That was a sore point with my F!0 . . . while the headlights were quite bright, at low speeds they just did not reach out very far. The low beams do extend a bit at higher speeds, but often at very low speeds more reach is desired. I was reluctant to adjust the low beams because it could cause some "problem" at freeway speeds-- so I did not touch them.

I traded my F10 for a (2017) M-B E400C4 with Adaptive LEDs. There are 84 discreet LEDs in each headlight-- the lights seem a bit more complex than the BMW LED-- BUT, they suffer from the same "problem" at very low speeds. I have to drive a long, curvy driveway that's wooded and I have use the high beams to really see well-- but in "auto mode" I need to hold the stalk to get the high beams on-- sure they will switch to high themselves at higher speeds. Overall the M-B LEDs do not seem any better than the 2014 BMW lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OJjvYPV3oc&t=21s

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Use a VIN decoder (ie https://www.mdecoder.com/) to see if your car has "S8S4A Decoding Variable Light Distribution". If it does, you can reactivate VLD, which has the low beams throw a farther/narrower beam (not high beams) at 30+ MPH, and a lower/wider beam at slower speeds. Not sure if that applies to the LEDs but it works well on mine with the Xenon adaptive lights.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Use a VIN decoder (ie https://www.mdecoder.com/) to see if your car has "S8S4A Decoding Variable Light Distribution". If it does, you can reactivate VLD, which has the low beams throw a farther/narrower beam (not high beams) at 30+ MPH, and a lower/wider beam at slower speeds. Not sure if that applies to the LEDs but it works well on mine with the Xenon adaptive lights.
@Carbon Fiver: Your response caught my attention: I looked at the VIN decoder sheet for my car and I have S8S4 Decoding, variable light distribution. There is no A at the end of S8S4. I have adaptive Xenons. Can VLD be activated on my car and how do I code it? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
@Carbon Fiver: Your response caught my attention: I looked at the VIN decoder sheet for my car and I have S8S4 Decoding, variable light distribution. There is no A at the end of S8S4. I have adaptive Xenons. Can VLD be activated on my car and how do I code it? Thanks!
Yes the the same 8S4 option.

If you're already familiar with coding... in the docs that come with E-Sys Launcher there's a VO Coding Guide PDF. Follow that but instead of the example option 205 that it uses, in your FA you'll see (and delete) 8S4 from the list of options; save it; then Code the FRM module. That's it. To verify, before you code turn on your lights facing a garage wall and note the pattern (video if you want). After the coding you'll see the pattern is changed.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes the the same 8S4 option.

If you're already familiar with coding... in the docs that come with E-Sys Launcher there's a VO Coding Guide PDF. Follow that but instead of the example option 205 that it uses, in your FA you'll see (and delete) 8S4 from the list of options; save it; then Code the FRM module. That's it. To verify, before you code turn on your lights facing a garage wall and note the pattern (video if you want). After the coding you'll see the pattern is changed.
Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately I am not that familiar with coding as I have only used Bimmercode in its expert mode but not Esys. I am not sure if I want to get onto Esys so perhaps my only option would be to have someone else do it? Happy to know it can be done!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts