BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Weekend Car

1976 Views 36 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  soledoc
Hi All,

I have 2008 335 with 31k miles. I am planning to keep the car for a long time, therefore, I drive my truck to work (90 miles daily).

How often should I drive my 335, to stay in good shape, without adding too many miles to it?
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
I drive my 335 weekends weather permitting.
My 335 then goes in the garage with a cover and with a battery Tender hooked up.:)
Stays nice and clean and by not driving everyday,you really appreciate the car even more if that's possible.:)
Hi All,

I have 2008 335 with 31k miles. I am planning to keep the car for a long time, therefore, I drive my truck to work (90 miles daily).

How often should I drive my 335, to stay in good shape, without adding too many miles to it?
335i for a weekend car? really? Im not judging but seems a little.. IDK.
Well Andy,I guess we do it because we can.;) :)
Different strokes for different folks.
335i for a weekend car? really? Im not judging but seems a little.. IDK.
My 335 is mostly a nice weather car as I have other cars to drive when the weathers nasty. If you plan on keeping a car for many years as I do it makes a huge difference 8 years or more down the road. I don't have a commute so 'weekend' doesn't apply to me but weather does. I will drive mine at minimum 1/2 hour once week and make sure it gets a workout as soon as it's warmed up.

When I get my 88/89 Targa it will get the same treatment.

Lawrence
I have a 2008 335I convertible just turned 10000 miles, it only gets out on pretty weekends., and maybe a joy ride during the week. We live in Atlanta, so we have lots of days in the winter where its nice enough to drive with the top down.
My M roadster was weekend car and I did the same as above. I just ran out of space so I sold it, but I tried to drive it about 30 min +/- a week, same as above. The problem (or maybe challenge is a better word) is that these cars have more electronics now. If the car is going to sit more than a week at a time, I'd recommend you consider a battery charger. I ended up purchasing the BMW trickle charger for about $60. It's a smart charge, just plug it into a cigarette lighter and it will trickle charge the battery.

With my 335 now, I only drive about 2 times a week (maybe 30-40 miles total per week) and it is running just fine. The rest of the time it's parked safely in the garage.
My 335 is mostly a nice weather car as I have other cars to drive when the weathers nasty. If you plan on keeping a car for many years as I do it makes a huge difference 8 years or more down the road. I don't have a commute so 'weekend' doesn't apply to me but weather does. I will drive mine at minimum 1/2 hour once week and make sure it gets a workout as soon as it's warmed up.

Lawrence
The "garage queen" logic somewhat works if one is planning on keeping a vehicle for a long time. However, if one ends up selling the car too early - well, then one just bought and stored the car for the next owner - all the while taking the depreciation hit. Hopefully, the new owner will at least thank you.

One of the reasons I try not to make a new car buying decision based on resale. I buy cars for me. Not for the next guy.
My son will probably get mine in a couple of years as a college graduation present.
Just in time for the new generation 3 Series in '12.:)
The "garage queen" logic somewhat works if one is planning on keeping a vehicle for a long time. However, if one ends up selling the car too early - well, then one just bought and stored the car for the next owner - all the while taking the depreciation hit. Hopefully, the new owner will at least thank you.

One of the reasons I try not to make a new car buying decision based on resale. I buy cars for me. Not for the next guy.
I've never owned a car for less than 10 years so it works out for me but most folks flip them much more frequently.

Lawrence

Like you, OP, my car is mostly a weekend driver, but I only drive my car 4 miles a day since I take the vanpool to work :thumbup:
Thanks for all the feedback!

But yeah, BMW GAL, I mainly drive my car on the weekend as well. I cruise around on the weekday after work only IF the weather is nice. But when it's not, it's in the garage.
'Sure hope none of this conversation gets back to my car... it might get ticked off at me. I have over 10,000 miles on it in 7 months of driving. OTOH, that's more miles with a grin on my face than I'd get if I drove something else every day.
My non-BMW vehicles are on trickle-chargers (actually, I simply disconnect the battery on the race car). I try to drive each at least once every two weeks or so... but they are garaged and our climate is rather mild. The more extreme the temps, the more you will want to drive it.

- Mike
Dont feel bad im doing about the same since i purchased my car... 50 miles round trip to work, rain or shine and school is about 15 miles round trip. I love the car too much to keep it locked up. 335i DD ftw! :bigpimp:
'Sure hope none of this conversation gets back to my car... it might get ticked off at me. I have over 10,000 miles on it in 7 months of driving. OTOH, that's more miles with a grin on my face than I'd get if I drove something else every day.
I think I'm a contender for the longest "break in" award. I'm at 52 days of ownership and STILL haven't clocked 1200 miles. And this is a daily driver! I must say though, that all miles driven are accompanied by a HUGE :D.
...and thats all that matters!
All miles driven are accompanied by a HUGE :D...
I buy my cars to drive them. BMW's are a blast to drive. I think up excuses to drive my car. I plan to put as many miles on it as I can, as soon as I can. Then I'll get another one. Whoo-hoo !!
amen.
I buy my cars to drive them. BMW's are a blast to drive. I think up excuses to drive my car. I plan to put as many miles on it as I can, as soon as I can. Then I'll get another one. Whoo-hoo !!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.