BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '99 M Coupe is over 6 years old now (built 10/98), so I decided to give her some pro-active rust protection and an undercarriage detail this weekend. Getting the beast up in the air without a lift is always a trick. This time I used ramps for the rear (with two blocks of wood for initial clearance), jackstands for the front (at the jack points), and a floor jack on the X brace in the front for extra protection. I wire brushed any surface rust on any fasteners and such and then used some rust neutralizer followed by some RustOleum paint. I removed my plastic fender liners and all the rubber drain plugs I could find (doors, hatch, etc). I heated my Waxoyl for 1/2 hour and let er rip all over the undercarriage and (in small amounts so as not to block drainage holes) in the doors and hatch. It was actually kinda fun. I wanted to give you kids the scoop on what I noticed.

There was a bit of surface rust on various fasteners...pretty normal stuff.

The crossmember just below the diff had a bit of rust in the center on the leading and trailing edges.

The X-brace thing-a-ma-bob in the front under the engine showed some a bit more surface rust near some of the welds.

DEFINATELY remove your plastic fender well liners and check the area just fore of the rear wheels and just aft of the fronts (in the rocker panel)...I clean my car like a maniac and STILL had a fistful of fine dirt and grime at all four corners. No rust or corrosion though.

And, for me, the most disturbing thing was (and I checked EVERYTHING humanly possible with a very critical eye, otherwise I NEVER would have noticed this)...my passenger door had some VERY tiny spots of paint bubbles right near the door seam on the edges of the seam sealer. The strange thing was that the spots were not isolated on the bottom of the door where they might be expected...they were on the vertical edge up high where no water would ever pool. I stripped the paint and removed the seam sealer to find just a hint of rust along the seam. I treated it, primed it and painted it myself, but will be taking it to WagonWorks in Alexandria VA to get her 100% taken care of so I don't ever have to worry about it again. I am thinking that the seam sealer might have been bad from the factory as I've never seen a car rust there before rusting on the bottom of the door (and my drainage ports and inside the door look prestine). You may want to check it out.

Otherwise, all is looking splendeed! I even checked those notorious mirror bolts that some have had rust to the point where their side mirrors freakin' FALL OFF and damage the door. No problemo there!

As our babies age, it helps to share this kinda info so we can all keep an eye on known trouble spots.

Peace out my homies and homettes!

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Nice job! As the owner of some twenty British cars over the years (I still have the Healey I bought 27 years ago) I have gone through several litres of Waxoyl (and a couple of dispensing pumps too). I like the stuff!

Besides being a parraffin based lubricant (so it clings and then cures to a protective coating) it also contains ingredients to stop rusting that has already begun. Naturally, it's best to remove as much of the surface corrosion as possible before applying.

Here's one source for Waxoyl.

Check your PM...

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Ahhh....I love the smell of warm WaxOyl...smells like...victory...:rofl:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts