Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. Do you know the weight of the stock e60 530i hood and trunk? Im thinking about a carbon hood but i want to know if ill save at least 30 pounds. I might also get a carbon fiber trunk. Can anyone help me or point in the right direction?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Hello guys. Do you know the weight of the stock e60 530i hood and trunk? Im thinking about a carbon hood but i want to know if ill save at least 30 pounds. I might also get a carbon fiber trunk. Can anyone help me or point in the right direction?
I believe the hood and possibly the trunk are aluminum, so BMW has kinda thought off that......

·
Registered
122 Posts
The hood is aluminum and weighs 11 kilograms (24 lbs). The trunk is steel and weighs 15 kilograms (33 lbs). Carbon fibre components can reduce this weight quite extensively. Some manufacturers claim up to 70% reduction in weight by upgrading to carbon fibre. Let's say you can reduce the weight by 50%, which is reasonable number, you are essentially going to be able to reduce the weight by roughly 28 lbs. If you decide to replace the roof cover which weighs 16 kilograms (35 lbs), you'll be able to shave another 15-20 lbs for a total of around 50 lbs.

edit to add: If you are looking for high quality Carbon Fibre product, take a look at Carbon Creations DTM line.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hood is aluminum and weighs 11 kilograms (24 lbs). The trunk is steel and weighs 15 kilograms (33 lbs). Carbon fibre components can reduce this weight quite extensively. Some manufacturers claim up to 70% reduction in weight by upgrading to carbon fibre. Let's say you can reduce the weight by 50%, which is reasonable number, you are essentially going to be able to reduce the weight by roughly 28 lbs. If you decide to replace the roof cover which weighs 16 kilograms (35 lbs), you'll be able to shave another 15-20 lbs for a total of around 50 lbs.

edit to add: If you are looking for high quality Carbon Fibre product, take a look at Carbon Creations DTM line.
Thank you so much. I thought about replacing the roof but im not sure how to. But thank you again!

·
Under the lift arms
12,949 Posts
lol 18 year old with a e60..

i hope your dad works on bmw's and likes it..

and your a lucky kid, treat that car right or youll be sorry

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thank you so much. I thought about replacing the roof but im not sure how to. But thank you again!
There are few other ways to reduce weight but, judging from some comments, I don't want to open a fresh can of worms.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol 18 year old with a e60..

i hope your dad works on bmw's and likes it..

and your a lucky kid, treat that car right or youll be sorry
Yeah lol. I am 18 but my dad doesnt own it, I do. And my dad knows nothing about cars, I've done all repairs to it. My dad cant even change his own fluids.

·
Registered
122 Posts
What are you expecting to accomplish?
You could gut the interior.
I assume he wants to modify his e60 and make it faster and lighter than it is, most likely without compromising the luxurious interior space.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
So, you might want to save your cash for repairs.....
Congratulations on a fine car.
I agree with the prior post. YES you will need $$ for repairs and if you mess with the delicate engineering balance, your repair bills will soar.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but the best way to enjoy these cars is to leave them stock.
Your idea for carbon fiber will cost a ton and will accomplish nothing.
The car is already very heavy and a few pounds means nothing in normal driving. :thumbup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congratulations on a fine car.
I agree with the prior post. YES you will need $$ for repairs and if you mess with the delicate engineering balance, your repair bills will soar.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but the best way to enjoy these cars is to leave them stock.
Your idea for carbon fiber will cost a ton and will accomplish nothing.
The car is already very heavy and a few pounds means nothing in normal driving. :thumbup:
Thank you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I assume he wants to modify his e60 and make it faster and lighter than it is, most likely without compromising the luxurious interior space.
Actually im not a huge fan of bmw interiors. I would rather strip it and lose weight. The only interior parts i like are the seats.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Actually im not a huge fan of bmw interiors. I would rather strip it and lose weight. The only interior parts i like are the seats.
I've seen an e39 540i drift car before.

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,188 Posts
I gave that a thought. How much weight would i get rid of with gutting an interior though?
I never looked up the weight but I would imagine at least a couple hundred pounds.
You didn't answer my first question though, what is the goal?
You realize this is a large car. The engine is only mid size.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I think we are going in circles. It is an interesting discussion, but we have not determined your overall goal. Are you looking to make a race car out of this or an oversized tuner???

Stripping out the interior will save some weight and another heavy item is the battery which weighs about 70# (??) use a lighter battery. it will save more weight than carbon fiber.

Hopefully the car will start.

You could reduce weight about 100+lbs easily.

BUT the best idea would be to go to a race track and see what the others are doing. They have great ideas!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts