Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 545i

So when I got my car, it had his error. I replaced the sensor. Still there, so I know an issue is triggering it.

Not all the time, the timing seems to be off when I start the car. I get 29CC, combustion misfires, several cylinders.

The only other weird error code i see, but it is not being reported anymore is 2A63, valvetronic motor, sluggish operation and 2A6B, valvetronic power limitation.

I have all the DIAG software. Just looking for a starting point. It goes and comes...weird weird weird......

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? It is still there. I was able to look at the VANOS position on all the inlet and exhaust banks is 120 degrees
But, on exhaust bank 1 and 2, it shows 63.40 and 70.10 for adaptation. All the others are at 120 for adaptation. This is engine off, on only changes a bit. Since my car is a manual tranny, VANOS wont take control until im moving along at a pretty good clip.....

OBDII shows an error of P0393......

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulled the VANOS solenoids, cleaning them. The exhaust CPS driver's was not all the way down with the gasket I installed. It is a pain to reach. Low back of block. I will re-seat and clear the errors.
The plugs are not reversed as the N62 has a sensor with built in wire to intake and exhaust have no wire attached to sensor.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the new sensor to sit all the way down. Reseated intake too. Engine is a bit quieter but still have error. Checking the wiring next.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, seems like the sensor is bad. I just tested the harness and get 12v, 12v, and 0 (ground). When I placed the sensor near metal with the ignition on, no change. I guess the internal electromagnet is inop...smh...Ordered a genuine one....on way....

·
Under the lift arms
12,940 Posts
ez buddy... slow down..

How are you pulling these codes? and what equipment are you using to communicate with the vehicle

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ez buddy... slow down..

How are you pulling these codes? and what equipment are you using to communicate with the vehicle
ISTA.......
Ran the test plan...followed all the instructions and the schematic.

Watched a youtube video on testing the magnetic sensors. With ignition on, place the sensor next to something metallic, and the voltage should drop.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone? Still getting these errors. Tested the 2 motors with meter, they are ok
Installed a new VVT ECU in the passenger side airbox, next to the DME
I have no IVM

If it is 1 of the Eccentric cam sensors, how do I know which one?

·
Under the lift arms
12,940 Posts
what is your charging voltage?

Do you have anything other then ISTA?

can you pull data from another/with source?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Anyone? Still getting these errors. Tested the 2 motors with meter, they are ok
Installed a new VVT ECU in the passenger side airbox, next to the DME
I have no IVM

If it is 1 of the Eccentric cam sensors, how do I know which one?
Can you provide a full list of DME codes you have..
Each sensor has its own code that it will set.

·
Under the lift arms
12,940 Posts
ffs..

valtronic, dcs headlight, radio... ihka

im assuming that you your still fighting your timing problem...

clear everything start over,

are you sure you even running the correct pak for ista.. I want you to scan the car with something professional

nt510, snap on, autel..

the aux and fogging.. i dont care about.. those are chasis codes not drivability codes,

I have no clue what you have done, Im not going to be able to help you here, there is so much going on *your testing motors and changing this and that.. i cant keep up with that.. at least not on this environment,

6 months have gone by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne9L4r2-33M

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ffs..

valtronic, dcs headlight, radio... ihka

im assuming that you your still fighting your timing problem...

clear everything start over,

are you sure you even running the correct pak for ista.. I want you to scan the car with something professional

nt510, snap on, autel..

the aux and fogging.. i dont care about.. those are chasis codes not drivability codes,

I have no clue what you have done, Im not going to be able to help you here, there is so much going on *your testing motors and changing this and that.. i cant keep up with that.. at least not on this environment,

6 months have gone by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne9L4r2-33M
That's it. Haven't done anything in 6 months. I just changed the VVT 2 days ago since I had a spare. While I was under, I checked the Ohms readings on the 2 motors to make sue they were good. I cleared the codes before I posted this. Lots of other codes cleared out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cleared codes with both INPA and ISTA+, just now......showed no codes in system but the CID and AHL. Let the car sit, put ignition to ON. Both motors initialized. As soon as I cranked it, immediate reduced power and both Vanos codes appear. I am leaning towards 1 or both Eccentric cam sensors. It does sound like rattling, so its in the Vanos.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found a picture of the Eccentric cam connector. On top of valve cover, rear of engine, both sides. I popped the electrical cover off,and oil is definitely on wiring.....so im guessing that one is 100% bad. gonna check other 1.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts