BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
New Guy of the Month
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there

I have a 96 318iC. M44. 214,000 miles.

It runs pretty good, starts kinda hard sometimes but the real fun is when I'm driving the car and hit 5000 RPMs.

At EXACTLY 5000 RPMs it bucks hard and the CEL comes on........ it actually blinks everytime the RPMs hit 5000. I just find this weird, it's almost like it is hitting a rev limmiter or something.

So at 5000 RPMs, it bucks, the CEL flashes and if I keep on the gas, the RPMs will drop to maybe 4700 RPMs (the CEL goes out) then it hits 5000 again, the light comes on, it bucks drops back down to 4700 etc etc etc until it upshifts, and the rpms drop. At this point the CEL stays on.

If I drive it normal and keep my foot out of it, it's fine, no bucking, no CEL.

Anyone have any ideas ?? comments ?? great thoughts ??

·
<<<Buddy
876 Posts
Sounds like a sensor problem, either crankshaft or camshaft sensor is my guess.

See if you can pull any codes from it, maybe it will point you in the right direction. :thumbup:

·
New Guy of the Month
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking I should just get on it, and trigger the CEL. Then off to autozone to get the code pulled.

Just curious, what makes you say the cam or crank sensor ?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I agree with them.
We, or at least I think its those sensors because they read RPMs of the engine wich is used to control everything. When you reach 5K, one of them seems to be with a reading problem, then your ECU cuts out.... when it lowers, the signal works again then you are able to run your engine again.

So... looks like one RPM sensor endeed...
good luck!

·
New Guy of the Month
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
trouble codes PO335 and PO320 crank position sensor.
The car runs absolutely perfect before 5000 RPMs.

Also, PO330 and PO325-- these are knock sensor codes. prob from trying to make it shift and keeping on the gas.

I don't think the sensors are the culprit. I could be wrong. however, I seem to remember working on a motorcycle and it ran great, but didn't rev above a certain RPMs until I put the airbox back on it. then it ran fine.

I'm going to try and drive it without the cai on it and see if it's a restriction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts