BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd really appreciate any advice on what is wrong with my 1996 E39 520i
1. Every so often, usually when in the sun, I'll lock my car, walk away, and all of a sudden the alarm starts ringing within 1min. It'll ring for 30 seconds, stop, then ring again for another 30 seconds, then stop for good.
2. Every so often, usually when left in the sun, I'll try and unlock my car, and all the doors will unlock, except for the driver side door. I've figured out that I can lock it again then unlock it directly with the key in the keyhole and this sometimes works. When it does work, the alarm will immediately start ringing when I open the car door after it unlocks.
3. The kicker: tonight, I randomly found the front right headlight on. It won't turn off no matter what I do. I've checked the blinker feature to see if it's that, it isn't. I think there's something wrong with the security system seeing as the alarm was the first presentation, and maybe the other issues are hinting at why the alarm goes off? I don't think it's an issue with the car thinking that the hood is open, because that connection seems to be nonexistent (I can't find it when following directions on youtube videos posted for this issue).
Does anybody have any clue to what may be going on here? Are these problems potentially related?

·
Under the lift arms
13,086 Posts
dissconnect the hood switch for starters.. then do a voltage check on the charging system, and battery check on the battery

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
1. Disconnect the hood alarm switch and observe the result.

2. Your driver's door actuator may be failing.

3. The headlight problem is likely caused by a failed output transistor inside the light control module.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hood alarm switch doesn't seem to exist. I've tried to find it a number of times and it is not where it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The hood alarm switch is just in front of the left side cabin air filter box, on the right side of that left hand box.

Our cars do strange things when the battery voltage gets low. Do what Burnig2nd suggested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts