BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently took my '03 540 to the shop to do the valve cover gasket (also replaced the spark plugs and an oil change). It had a small leak which was minor and only could be seen when you take out the side covers. Small pool of oil so had the job done as preventative maintenance. They did the job, but as I drove away, the "service engine soon" light came on. I took it back so I had to leave the car another day. Picked it up the next day. Drove for about ten minutes and the light came on again! Made a u-turn, took it back and left it for them to check it out. Come the next day, the guy told me one of the techs left something disconnected (don't know what is was). Alright drove it around for a while, no light. After a few hours, the darn light comes back on. I called the shop the next day and they told me to bring it back (at this point is becoming frustrating). I drove with that annoying light on for about over a week. Haven't had time to leave my baby at the shop again. Couple of days ago, the light turned off by itself. How in the world could this happen? I know the light is not blown b/c when I turn on the car, the light turns on, then off so working properly. Anyone experience this before? I recall one of the workers telling me that the light has to do with emissions stuff. Is this also true? Maybe something dirty somewhere in the engine and cleared itself away that made the light go off? Let me know and should I be concerned?:dunno::mad:

·
I glow in the dark
580 Posts
I recently took my '03 540 to the shop to do the valve cover gasket (also replaced the spark plugs and an oil change). It had a small leak which was minor and only could be seen when you take out the side covers. Small pool of oil so had the job done as preventative maintenance. They did the job, but as I drove away, the "service engine soon" light came on. I took it back so I had to leave the car another day. Picked it up the next day. Drove for about ten minutes and the light came on again! Made a u-turn, took it back and left it for them to check it out. Come the next day, the guy told me one of the techs left something disconnected (don't know what is was). Alright drove it around for a while, no light. After a few hours, the darn light comes back on. I called the shop the next day and they told me to bring it back (at this point is becoming frustrating). I drove with that annoying light on for about over a week. Haven't had time to leave my baby at the shop again. Couple of days ago, the light turned off by itself. How in the world could this happen? I know the light is not blown b/c when I turn on the car, the light turns on, then off so working properly. Anyone experience this before? I recall one of the workers telling me that the light has to do with emissions stuff. Is this also true? Maybe something dirty somewhere in the engine and cleared itself away that made the light go off? Let me know and should I be concerned?:dunno::mad:
If I were you... I would bring the car to AUTOZONE and have them read the error code for you... so this way you know whats the problem is and also you know if your so called mechanic is pulling your chains... just my 2 cents... btw its ALL FREE at autozone....so you dont even have to pay... just drive there and ask one of the guys to get the codes read for you..simple as 1.2.3.... good luck.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
It can take several Drive Cycles to reset the OBD light if it is not reset by the shop. You could get codes read again, they should be stored in memory.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Yeah, you need to get the codes read yourself. Buy a used Peake R5/FCXII code reader on ebay or as said go to autozone and get codes read for free. They are obviously not telling you what the real reason for the CEL light or think that telling you wouldn't do you any good, so time to take action on your own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts