Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Underachiever
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Im still investigating, but my neighbor saw my 04 X3 lights come on at 0400 today. When I got up, the battery was dead. My keys are hung up in a safe place. I do see a "failed lightbulb" alarm even tho all the lights work. So I jumpstarted the X3 and will check at midnight etc.
This is a very odd problem!:dunno: Any ideas will be appreciated.

·
Frequently perplexed
47 Posts
Are only marker lights on or are the full headlights on? The latter is obviously Very Wrong. The former sounds as though the wiring thinks auto-on is working a little too well. Or do you use manual off/on? Either way, consider leaving a trickle charger on the battery. If the marker lights come on, there's some chance the battery won't be dead when you are awake enough to try to do some troubleshooting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Going by my Acura experience (Im a service writer) all signs to me are pointing to a water leak somewhere. check fuse boxes for corrosion, IE pull relays and fuses and check where they plug into. Also check sunroof drains to make sure they are free and working as intended. Unless of course it hasn't rained or snowed recently. Id still check fuse boxes and main relays.

·
Frequently perplexed
47 Posts
Sounds good to me. IMHO automotive and, in general, DC wiring is pain and suffering waiting to happen. Tap the horn and wipers move. Open a door and the horn blows. Arghhh!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds good to me. IMHO automotive and, in general, DC wiring is pain and suffering waiting to happen. Tap the horn and wipers move. Open a door and the horn blows. Arghhh!
Could be worse, We could be on a british car forum. Have you ever tried to figure out Lucas electrical ? That is an unholy nightmare, although the early bmws weren't the best either with ground wires that would turn into not ground wires depending on what circuit was on or off.

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
Exterior lights.
Did they stay on, or did they flash on and off?

As said above, it sounds like a short somewhere, the pain is to find it. The rear hatch release has been known to short out internally, causing the lights to come on (occasionally flashing the lights as when you unlock or lock the car) and keeping the interior lights on as well, so that might be worth investigating.

·
Underachiever
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:rofl::rofl: Funny stories! So far I found a burned out license plate bulb. I did a nighttime check the others are fine. The battery held the charge over night. Yes, we had a LOT of rain and I dried out the floor so anything is possible! :eeps:

·
Registered
31 Posts
:rofl::rofl: Funny stories! So far I found a burned out license plate bulb. I did a nighttime check the others are fine. The battery held the charge over night. Yes, we had a LOT of rain and I dried out the floor so anything is possible! :eeps:
Now the fun begins, looking for a water leak. Start with the roof drains, maybe the rear hatch area, make sure that rubber seal is in good shape and not letting water in. If you had a windshield replaced recently that could be a source. I know on certain model acura's the fuse box in the driver foot area will get water because there is a connector from the roof drain to another drain which gets stuck and water comes out from that connector. The fuse box is right in front of that connector. Also on the SUV's check the pass and driver side under the roof molding. get weird body stress cracks just about 4-6 inches above the windshield. It would be helpful to know which lights came on, head lights, brake lights or side marker lights as they should have different relays and possibly different fuse box locations. (Im still very new to X3's so i dont know all of the places they can leak from aside from the sunroof). Also inspect the sunroof area to make sure those rubber gaskets are in place and not warped.

Random thought - have you checked your chassis grounds to eliminate possible shorts caused by improper grounding ?

·
Underachiever
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now the fun begins, looking for a water leak. Start with the roof drains, maybe the rear hatch area, make sure that rubber seal is in good shape and not letting water in. If you had a windshield replaced recently that could be a source. I know on certain model acura's the fuse box in the driver foot area will get water because there is a connector from the roof drain to another drain which gets stuck and water comes out from that connector. The fuse box is right in front of that connector. Also on the SUV's check the pass and driver side under the roof molding. get weird body stress cracks just about 4-6 inches above the windshield. It would be helpful to know which lights came on, head lights, brake lights or side marker lights as they should have different relays and possibly different fuse box locations. (Im still very new to X3's so i dont know all of the places they can leak from aside from the sunroof). Also inspect the sunroof area to make sure those rubber gaskets are in place and not warped.

Random thought - have you checked your chassis grounds to eliminate possible shorts caused by improper grounding ?
I'll do all that. Norcal is about to get 3 days of heavy rain!! :eek::yikes:

·
Underachiever
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the X3 dried out. No more bulb alarms and the vehicle is garaged for these big storms in Norcal. Its always sumthin with an X3!!! :mad::D

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got the X3 dried out. No more bulb alarms and the vehicle is garaged for these big storms in Norcal. Its always sumthin with an X3!!! :mad::D
I knew it had to be a water leak, now for the fun part, trying to find it. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts