BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,626 Posts
It could be low frequency rumble indicating wheel bearing(s) starting to go bad.

When you hear the rumble, try putting the car in neutral and letting engine RPM drop to idle, with the car continuing to roll, and see if the rumble continues in spite of transmission being out of gear and engine at idle. It is possible for a mechanic to put the car on a lift, rotate each wheel by hand and FEEL any roughness in a wheel bearing that is going bad. Two bad wheel bearings can set up a 'beat frequency' and make the wob-wob-wob effect. I once had a low frequency rumble at slow speeds during turns, and the dealer found I was right about wheel bearings in the process of going bad.

· Registered
3,626 Posts
I will try that turn to the other side directly. Should the speed still 40kph?
The point is to try to start at the highest volume of sound while in straight line, unloaded state, then put load on one side (then the other) to see how load change affects the sound. Of course, doing so safely is important. If you can go to a large empty parking lot during the test antics, like sunrise on Sunday morning, great! No risk to others, lots of empty space for you to recover from being overly distracted conducting your test. The more clues you can provide the mechanic, the better that the trouble can be localized, diagnosed and properly fixed.

· Registered
3,626 Posts
To me, tire noise transfer is rather different than the metal-on-metal noise transfer of a bad bearing. Tire noise has a higher component of 'aural' (what you hear via air transfer, with windows rolled up vs. down). What is the calendar age of the tires (...see production date code)?

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For me, you can hear the noise when the windows is closed. So its Aural.

Back left DOT LMT4 A149 3108
Back right DOT LMT4 A1H9 3006

Front left DOT LMT4 A1H9 0310
Front right DOT LMT4 A1h9 0310

Thanks for replying.

· Registered
3,626 Posts
One tire made in 2008, nearing what manufacturers say is replacement time. One made in 2006...8 years into its life, really ought to go into retirement. The 2010s are fine.
Department of Transportation recommends changing even new-looking tires once they hit 10 years old, and many manufacturers recommend swapping them out at six years old. Rubber deteriorates over time due to UV and environmental exposure and the result leaves tire structure brittle and more prone to failure...brittle rather than compliant...affects road noise production.

· Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,725 Posts
Award

You get the trophy for "Worst Video of All Time Demonstrating a Complaint About a Noise".

Truly awful. Surely you posted the wrong video, maybe the one where at midnight you were testing out your camera in a closet?

But yes, I agree, it's the tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.