BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody
i have a 2006 BMW 530XI with an automatic transmission.
anyway, i was driving at about 30-40 MPH when i got to a bump, i get slower to go over it and there was a pothole at the bottom of its end so my car dropped into it and i hear a loud knock by the driver side wheel. and the car starts like a humming noise.

i parked it and looked underneath it. nothing is broken or loose and everything looks in place.
i drove it back and i hear the humming noise along with a slight steering wheel vibration.
and you only hear/feel that from inside of the car. from the outside it looks and sounds perfectly normal and like there is nothing wrong with it.

i took it to the shop and they couldnt find anything wrong and came to the conclusion it could be a torque converter issue.
took to the dealership and couldnt find the problem but they can feel it.
no codes or faults are showing up on the dashboard...

i've been looking up online the torque converter issue and nothing sounds or looks like what i'm experiencing. it shifts perfectly both in drive mode or the tiptronic gears.
no shifting delays or slipping or what so ever.

the only thing is it hesitates when i start it but it starts.

has anybody ever experienced anything like that with their E60/61 before? or anybody has an idea on what this could be?

·
Registered
346 Posts
You may have damaged the tire. Move it to the rear and see if that changes the noise and steering wheel vibration.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,384 Posts
Find out where the humming is coming from.

I'd believe a suspension issue, a drive shaft issue, a tire or rim issue. Those don't explain humming. Torque converter -- I don't see how that could have been damaged by the road hazard, but that could make a noise - not sure humming, but I don't know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts