BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 BMW 530I. Recently I've had some weird problems with it. The tighten gas cap light came on which I thought tightening it would make it go away. Well, after about 3-4 starts the Check engine light comes on saying increased emissions. The code readout is a small evap leak. That's not the weird part. The weird parts is that the car runs perfectly fine until I get gas. As soon as i get gas and try to start it up it will turn on but sputter for about 15 seconds. It acts like it will almost die on me but eventually the RPMs stabalize in which I can then drive off. What in the world would cause this. It has happened about 5 times in a row and only as soon as I start up after getting gas. Could a bad gas cap cause this? I dont want to go buy a new gas cap if that isnt the problem as they are $36. I did clean around the gas cap tonight with wd-40 as the seal was dirty and put a rubber band around the seal to see if that would help seal it. And I notice that when I take off the gas cap it doesnt seem real tight but then again I dont know how tight it needs to be?

Any Ideas would be great!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.