Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 328is and the engine makes a weird sound like paper hitting a fan. I have no idea where its coming from but my brother said it might be the alternator. Has anyone had this problem or know what it is? ( I would post a video of the sound but I don't know how)

·
BuckFifty
341 Posts
Try to identify where the sound is coming from. Either use a car stethoscope or a rubber tube, with one end to your ear and the other probing around. Don't stick it in the blade son lol

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its sounds like its coming from the alternator/ oil filter area. You can definitely feel the vibrations from the sound on the oil filter cap and I'm pretty sure the cap isn't the source of the problem

·
BuckFifty
341 Posts
Well I am not familiar with the sounds you describe an alternator. May you also consider your belt and tensioner wheel or alternator pulley. Check that your belt is in good condition, and it is setting well on all pulleys in the area.

If you think it is inside the alternator, then I highly suggest a ~$10 car stethoscope to confirm it.

·
BuckFifty
341 Posts
no prob.. get the car stethoscope only if you think you are positive it is the alternator. I recommend the hose technique if you are not sure, b/c you can't stick the stethoscope on moving parts ie belt and pulley wheels

·
Registered
193 Posts
Did u check that the belt or fan isn't actually touching something....sometimes the overflow hose that s attached to the fan shroud can become loose and touch the fan...last time I had sound like that it was a paper sticker that was attached to the radiator hose touching the fan...wasn't a hazard or anything just annoying...to eliminate this possibility start the car with no fan clutch...see if the noise disappear
..don't do it for too long..the engine may overheat...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Slip slidin around town
1,359 Posts
A bad DISA valve can cause a weird clicking type sound. Maybe check around the intake manifold? You can unplug it and see if it goes away as well. I know this is worthless without photos but.....

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found out my fan shroud is very loose and its probably hitting my fan. Hopefully that's the problem and nothing too big

1 - 9 of 9 Posts