BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only 9000 miles on my 09' 335i E90 manual. Today after driving in pouring rain all day, i started to hear a "spring stretching" sound upon letting the clutch pedal up going into a gear (usually in lower gears as I crept along in heavy traffic). The sound is coming from under the dashboard down by the clutch pedal somewhere. It does not make the sound if the stick is in neutral and I push the pedal in and out.

Any ideas?

·
about the mini part....
1,085 Posts
It's the windshield wipers! Or at least that's what I figured it was. :dunno: Can you feel it in the pedal?

·
Gooble Goobledygoook
955 Posts
I'm just starting to get that too, kind of like bed spring sound :eeps: It's there when I need to release the clutch slower.

I'm not sure if I want to bring it to the dealership...

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Throw-out bearing.

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
I had this briefly and then it went away.

It sounded exactly like a spring is used to pull the clutch pedal back towards you as you release the clutch.

When I dug arond a bit on the web, I found a company selling a HDPE bearing for the clutch pedal and they said it would get rid of the sound.

I'd let it go for a while and see if it goes away on its own.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
I had this briefly and then it went away.

It sounded exactly like a spring is used to pull the clutch pedal back towards you as you release the clutch.

When I dug arond a bit on the web, I found a company selling a HDPE bearing for the clutch pedal and they said it would get rid of the sound.

I'd let it go for a while and see if it goes away on its own.
If it indeed is the springs that "springs" the pedal back, the problem shouldn't go away in neutral.

·
On the Road!
165 Posts
I had the same thing - approx same mileage as you. I haven't heard it in a while - planned on mentioning it next time I'm in the shop. It sounded exactly like a squeaky spring.

·
Piacere di guidare
1,474 Posts
From your description, it's not the throwout bearing. If it sounds like a spring, it's probably something to do with the clutch return spring, which all cars have for pedal operation. Perhaps the bearing someone mentioned above gives the spring a pivoting perch and thus eliminates the noise. Either way, a shot of white lithium grease should silence it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all - I guess I'll watch it for a while and see if it goes away. If not, I'll bring it in. Oh, and Minicrazy592: I know what you're talking about w/ the wiper vibration in the foot pedals - but that's not this. As I said it's a sound, not a feel, and it's only on clutch let-up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had the same thing... lasted about 2,000 miles and went away all on it's own!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts