Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 BMW E38 has this weird starting issue where you turn the key and the engine fires up but the starter doesn't sound like it disengages. Soon after a warning comes over the display that I need to shut down the engine because of an oil problem. I stop it and fire up again and it's fine. On occasion I will find a small oil puddle under the car after an occurrence. Do I just need a new starter?

·
Registered
411 Posts
oh dude,that is not good!^^i agree with miguel...i would not run the car anymore until you get the leak fixed and new oil put in man or you will be looking for a new engine on ebay.... :'(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I keep a close eye on the oil...an it doesn't seem to drop much, and the oil bit doesn't happen often...but I have to start the car with the door open to make sure it doesn't make the noise.

Sometimes it's like the car is having trouble starting and will start but the cars automatic start doesn't think the car is started and continues to turn over.

It has in the past started and then stopped and the starter is still pushing it...like the starter is preventing the engine from starting because it's slowing it down.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

1 - 5 of 5 Posts