BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an E46 M3 strut tower brace today. :thumbup:

Car car feels a LOT crisper when cornering. I found that understeer was noticably reduced, as well. The car was simply a LOT more willing to dance. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now if UUC will just go ahead and release those bloody swaybars...

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

God DAMN is my engine bay filthy!

Someone want to clean it for me? :D

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$300 from Tischer post discount... I could have saved a few bucks ordering from Cutter... But then I'd have had to wait. :p And shipping would probably have been substantial as well.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well... Finally gave in to the urge to buy SOMETHING for the car

atyclb said:
ack--didn't see his answer before mine. $300 isn't really bad. $271 is the absolute minimum.
Unless you steal it. :D

I'm still not completely sold that it makes a difference unless you push your car really hard. I'm still thinking about buying the rear one.

20,210 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well... Finally gave in to the urge to buy SOMETHING for the car

alee said:

Unless you steal it. :D

I'm still not completely sold that it makes a difference unless you push your car really hard. I'm still thinking about buying the rear one.
It doesn't make a difference. I put one on and didn't feel anything

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well... Finally gave in to the urge to buy SOMETHING for

atyclb said:

It doesn't make a difference. I put one on and didn't feel anything
With all due respect, you drive a VERY different car from mine. :p
I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't make a difference on an M3... It makes a pretty substantial difference on my car. Of course I push pretty hard. :p I found that understeer is very substantially reduced. This isn't exactly a problem on the M3, so...

20,210 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well... Finally gave in to the urge to buy SOMETHING for

Nick325xiT 5spd said:

With all due respect, you drive a VERY different car from mine. :p
I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't make a difference on an M3... It makes a pretty substantial difference on my car. Of course I push pretty hard. :p I found that understeer is very substantially reduced. This isn't exactly a problem on the M3, so...
Oh I definitely believe that. Wagons and cabs are different beasts. But I'd bet that alee w/ his coupe wouldn't notice much difference either. Especially with him driving 60 miles a month

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good point. Al's driving habits are probably not going to be helped much...

Although my car IS stiffer than his to begin with.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
johnlew said:
Would I feel a difference in normal driving in a Cab? If so, for $300 why didn't BMW do this? Small $$$ relatively.
I bet it would make the most difference in a cab, being the least rigid of the E46 cars.

I wonder what the rigidity figures of an M3 with strut bar is, vs. a regular 3 series coupe?

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alee said:

I bet it would make the most difference in a cab, being the least rigid of the E46 cars.

I wonder what the rigidity figures of an M3 with strut bar is, vs. a regular 3 series coupe?
Folding seats are an option on the M3. I'd guess it's up there with the sedan w/o folding seats. (i.e. way stiffer than my car.)

I do wonder if the xi benefits more from it than other vehicles... After all, I've got that wacky suspension AND I have the engine torqueing the strut towers as well.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
johnlew said:

Under normal conditions? Why didn't BMW do it then, so cheap, especially mass produced for them.
Retail price in Germany is like $150. :p

My impression is that the car handles really uneven surfaces a bit better now... Although for the most part in gentle driving, the strut bar is transparent. Maybe the car feels a little tighter, but I don't know...

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For the NCC it doesn't.
I believe it's allowed in the SCCA, but it's been a while since I looked in the rules.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.