BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pics will follow. :) Not until later tonight, though.
Wish everyone could've been there. :(

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Yup, sure was. It''s too bad that it took until my fifth and final race before I finally found something resembling a line.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not just a line, but some idea of how to control the darned things...
My Bimmer felt SO floaty and the steering felt SO overboosted afterwards. Wow was that an adjustment.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
I drove 4 different karts on my five runs, and each felt completely different. Kart 3 understeered like a pig on initial turn in, Kart 18 felt like it had slightly better acceleration than the others and Kart 8 just did not want to go in a straight line.

What I really wish that I had figured out sooner was that you had to be on the gas before the light went green. For each heat except the last, I lost a spot before Turn 1 and then had to fight like hell to get it back. Passing was tough until I figured it out...you had to be aggressive, shooting to the inside at turn in for an early apex, but forcing the other guy to let up. Hopefully, he would lose more momentum than you instead of just coming back and passing you on the inside at the end of the turn.

It was relatively cheap wheel to wheel racing in a relatively safe environment. Loads of fun! :thumbup: (Can't wait to see Nick's pics)

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here we go...
Pics. :)

http://www.nrubenstein.com/gokart/

Keep in mind that aside from batch resizing, I haven't done anything with these images. They aren't even sorted. This is every pic we took today. :)

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Me getting chased by my father...

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Are you in any of the pictures? driving or sitting?
We ran 5 heats and mostly had different cars (numbers) each time. Nick was in ablack and yellow suit and I was in a blue and red suit with white helmet. Nick's father was also in blue and red and there's a bunch of pics of him as well.

I took most of the pics of Nick on the track. He took most of the pics of me on the track. His father took a few here and there and a friend of mine that watched and didn't race took some too.

Knowing the sequence helps figure them out too.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Here's clyde chasing the 10 car...

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

And here we are...
Clyde, Clyde's friend, Me. :) We look terrible in this picture. :p

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope. I t doesn't. It's also a bit too large...

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ISO1600, plus miserable shooting conditions will tend to do that. :p Autoexposure barely works with the doors open, too.

Here's a much finer example of output from this camera. :)

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Truth is, 99% of why I got it was for speed. :)
I finally have access to manual focus on a digital camera and minimal shutter lag.
Now, I'm trying to get out and use the damned thing. Most of my free time comes when I'm too tired to do much else besides go online. :p

Edit: I have a 990, BTW.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Ehhh...you can do better

not bad for a "basic" 995 Coolpix :dunno:
the "basic" 995 is not a bad camera. In fact, for waht it is, the optics are very good. Regardless...when you have a slow lens (5.6), no light and need to use a relatively fast shutter speed you're going to get dark, muddy pics no matter what camera you're using. Nick's pics can be improved significantly with mild massaging in photoshop.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.