BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Banned
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1995 s50 m3!!!This is my legacy! IVe had dreams of this day! Just looking at how beautiful she is and now shes gonna get a New heart and new lungs and new everything!
Bought her for $2,000 with the Dme 109,xxx miles still a baby!! Im going to rock with my C0CK OUT!!!!:banana::freakdanc
It will look way better once i get working on it!
I will let you guys know how everything goes! this project will undergo in about 1 to 3 months! Wish me luck and people will definitaly die!!!

Attachments

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
Congrats dude :thumbup:.

Randy should have his automatic transmission available for purchase in a few months as well. Maybe you can work something out with him.

And decent price for the motor :thumbup:.

·
Banned
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats dude :thumbup:.

Randy should have his automatic transmission available for purchase in a few months as well. Maybe you can work something out with him.

And decent price for the motor :thumbup:.
I already got a zf tranny! thanks though bro!:thumbup: Good looking out!

And no i do not have any swapping experience

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
are you going to be doing this fully by yourself? with a friend? takin it somewhere?

·
Banned
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really really want to do it myself but i cant because my mechanical level is probably only at a 6 outta 10..it takes a 9 at least..im thinking of taking it to my mechanic..why do you have experience?

·
Fireballs inc.
9,256 Posts
1995 s50 m3!!!This is my legacy! IVe had dreams of this day! Just looking at how beautiful she is and now shes gonna get a New heart and new lungs and new everything!
Bought her for $2,000 with the Dme 109,xxx miles still a baby!! Im going to rock with my C0CK OUT!!!!:banana::freakdanc
I will let you guys know how everything goes! this project will undergo in about 1 to 3 months! Wish me luck and people will definitaly die!!!
Congratulations cuahtemoc I hope it all goes well it should be pimp as soon as its done:D......
I have one request tho while we're on the topic of your car, can you post a picture or two of your car with the rolled/pulled fenders I'm looking to do this and I'm trying to see how yours came out Thanks:thumbup:

·
Banned
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wiilll do for the pictures..im pretty busy now adays ive been trying to take pictures of my rims but time doesnt allow me..! i will try this morning..Thanks guys for the support! im almost sure i can take it out myself with a few other experienced guys..My neighbor Drag races funny cars..he swaps that big 5000hp motor so we should be good

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I really really want to do it myself but i cant because my mechanical level is probably only at a 6 outta 10..it takes a 9 at least..im thinking of taking it to my mechanic..why do you have experience?
yea i do. it doesnt take much mechanic level experience as you think, you just need to make sure you have everything your going to need(and trust you are going to need to get even more after) and all the tools and time. the experience you need is more pulling the engine out and putting it in. everything else is just hooking everything back together, if you know your engine bay you will be good.

if i was you i would get some friends and just go at it, youll learn alot and get more out of it. and also take off the front end completely it will make it so much easier.

·
FixItFaster
1,936 Posts
and also take off the front end completely it will make it so much easier.
No it won't.. :confused: Feel free to do this if you want to waste several hours on something that won't help at all.
If you have an engine crane/hoist (remove the hood obviously) and know how to turn a wrench an engine swap is just like replacing a part, really requires no real technical skill or intellect (just a good memory). I've never swapped a s50 in place of an m50, but I'm thinking it may be neccesary to swap harnesses. That will be the time consuming part.
Again have fun with the project! Keep us updated.

·
Make your own Luck
1,814 Posts
Congrats on the engine! :thumbup:
We are going to see some pictures in the "before and after" thread right? Haha
Good Luck with the swap hope all goes well.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
No it won't.. :confused: Feel free to do this if you want to waste several hours on something that won't help at all.
If you have an engine crane/hoist (remove the hood obviously) and know how to turn a wrench an engine swap is just like replacing a part, really requires no real technical skill or intellect (just a good memory). I've never swapped a s50 in place of an m50, but I'm thinking it may be neccesary to swap harnesses. That will be the time consuming part.
Again have fun with the project! Keep us updated.
lol if you got power tools it takes 10 minutes(without power tools 30 minutes MAX). and yes it does help alot. it allows you drop and pull the engine with a lot less strain and help, you could actually easily do it yourself this way other wise your going to have to lift it up turn it and angle it alot more( this is difficult with even 3 people). also when its off you have much easier access to engine mounts and other things you will need to be hooking up. it doesnt take much time to take off at all and will save you a bunch of awkward positions and strain.

·
Sexy Sax Man / Kebab Lord
6,521 Posts
Congrats!

Now you just need to paint that Valve Cover black and it'll be sweet...

and a ZF 5spd right? :D :p

·
Registered
760 Posts
Engine swap is actually pretty easy, disconnect hoses and sensors, undo motor mounts, remove motor. Working with the Hondas, we did a D to B swap and a B16 to B18 swap in a day with no issues. Both cars were out driving that evening.

·
Banned
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Engine swap is actually pretty easy, disconnect hoses and sensors, undo motor mounts, remove motor. Working with the Hondas, we did a D to B swap and a B16 to B18 swap in a day with no issues. Both cars were out driving that evening.
Never compare a honda motor to a Bmw motor the engine swap is fairly different. My friend can put his honda motor in 30 mins..its way easy with a 4 banger with space. im contemplating whether i should do it or not.I need to find a thread on the internet that does it step by step id feel way more comfortable! Does anyone know were i can get one!?

1 - 20 of 119 Posts