BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after not doing any mods in awhile and being so busy I thought it time to do one. I ordered a bmw 3.46 diff to replace the factory 3.07. Damn bmw thinks highly of these diffs.
So I will be pumping some info from people at HC on this job:)
I will do a right up here on the install even though andym did a great write up on this mod.
I am hoping the 3.07 has some value to the turbo crowd since its such low mileage...
Max

·
///M 'n it up!
1,738 Posts
Please do some before and after quantitative tests! I am interested in the results, and price.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Well after not doing any mods in awhile and being so busy I thought it time to do one. I ordered a bmw 3.46 diff to replace the factory 3.07. Damn bmw thinks highly of these diffs.
So I will be pumping some info from people at HC on this job:)
I will do a right up here on the install even though andym did a great write up on this mod.
I am hoping the 3.07 has some value to the turbo crowd since its such low mileage...
Max
Wouldn't be so low mileage if you'd DRIVE to Homecoming, chump. :)

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much did the 3.46 cost?
Please do some before and after quantitative tests! I am interested in the results, and price.

Thanks!
Wouldn't be so low mileage if you'd DRIVE to Homecoming, chump. :)
Monk: It was just shy of 1900.00 but that includes a 100.00 core charge, I am going to keep my old one for a bit just until I know all is well with the new one once it is installed.

Wildag: I plan on doing so, It will be a month before I get around to putting it in....

DWM: Yeah yeah:) I really would if I could this year, Most of the fun was driving up to topoca* every year....

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The diff came in today, I was surprised that it had to come from germany, BMW has a large parts distribution warehouse here on the u.s.; I would have assumed that they would have kept 1 there... Anyhow, There does not seem to be any damage to the unit, There was a small amount of oil soaked into the cardboard inside the box but I hope that was just from the vent.

Attachments

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vinci, Well yes and no, Its for me but I billed you :) :D

I just hope it works out well, I worry way to much about parts and pray that nothing is wrong with it, I do not want to have to pull it back out later.... It is pretty though...
its funny because bmw says its rebuilt but after inspecting it I think it may actually be new.

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stop! Don't install it! :yikes:

Or rather, install it in your living room - it is art! :D

Is this the same unit that comes with the 2.5i?
Yeah; This is staying in the dinning room until its installed, have to make sure its safe:) and it is nice to look at as well/

I believe so, I know it was used on the automatic transmission models z3 with the 3.0

See you soon Vinci

·
Analyst + Therapist = ...
8,102 Posts
weren't there any from an auto salvage?

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The kitchen build up, I have been pretty sick the last few days so ; I took to the kitchen:)
I just emailed Randy in panic thinking that they mis-boxed the diff cover, Well the picture I was comparing it to is from underneath so It appeared that my 2 ears were much lower than they should be....:)

Attachments

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
The kitchen build up, I have been pretty sick the last few days so ; I took to the kitchen:)
I just emailed Randy in panic thinking that they mis-boxed the diff cover, Well the picture I was comparing it to is from underneath so It appeared that my 2 ears were much lower than they should be....:)
What's the hammer for?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts