BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
looks nice! how much is it supposed to be?

is that the confirmed official design?

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Confirmed design will premiere at Detroit Auto show.. My price will be 29k and some change, fully loaded. I opted not to get the navigation system and that brought me under the 30k mark. With nav it runs to around 31k. That's EVERYTHING though.. 6 speed, leather, auto-seats, heated seats, bose stereo (damn I hope that sounds decent), and the torsen LSD is standard on all the models.

Should be fun. If you have Qs I can answer them. For fun's sake, here's the torque curve:

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well... every year Mazda has an event put together with rotary enthusiasts that they call SevenStock. The VP of Mazda NA comes out and gives a speech about whatever... and this year they did talk about the RX-8.

He was innundated with questions, but released this much... the price of the car will be from 26k-31k. 250 horsepower, does the dash to 60 in around 6 seconds (most people are conservative on their times so I wait for C&D to get their hands on it and their uhm.. downward hill 0-60 times :p). Weight will be under 2900lbs. 12.8" brake rotors front and 11.8 rear. The lateral accelleration is .9. And the MazdaSpeed version would top out over 300 horses, to be released after the initial RX-8 launch.

I got a hold of a German options list with German pricing... I accounted for a bit of currency and economic disparities, and came up with the figure of around 29k and some change for the way I want it, which is EVERYTHING except navigation.

Any Qs you have about the car? It's a good BMW competitor, in my opinion... a much better buy than the 330 I was initially looking at. I save myself over 10 grand by getting this car over the 330 :)

[edit]
forgot to mention there's a carbon fiber drive shaft, and standard 18x8 wheels with Z rated rubber.

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
I don't think I'll be far behind you my friend. I fully intend (at this very moment; of course, like a woman, I reserve the right to change my mind about future automobile purchases at the drop of a hat) to sell my 330i and buy/lease an RX-8 once they've been out for a few months (and I can get 0%/60 mths, like the rest of the Mazda fleet) and I can get one by negotiating *up* (thanks Tom) from from invoice and not worry about stupid stealer ADM's.

(For the purposes of this hypothetical situation, I'm going to presume that I'm going to enjoy the driving experience at least as much as my Bimmer, perhaps even more so).

:D

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Impulss said:
Pics please!! All the spy photos I've seen so far.... i don't like :thumbdwn:

I'll race you when you get your RX-8 :D
You'll win :p The M3 is faster :)

Here are the pictures

These are the CLOSEST to production that are known of so far... There are going to be changes but right now, nobody knows what they are.

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hts said:
I don't think I'll be far behind you my friend. I fully intend (at this very moment; of course, like a woman, I reserve the right to change my mind about future automobile purchases at the drop of a hat) to sell my 330i and buy/lease an RX-8 once they've been out for a few months (and I can get 0%/60 mths, like the rest of the Mazda fleet) and I can get one by negotiating *up* (thanks Tom) from from invoice and not worry about stupid stealer ADM's.

(For the purposes of this hypothetical situation, I'm going to presume that I'm going to enjoy the driving experience at least as much as my Bimmer, perhaps even more so).

:D
I don't think you'll get 0% until there's a year-end clearance.. and even then the RX-8 won't be on clearance. Not for at least a while longer. I'm just going to lease mine when it comes out, because I figure with the demand there will be a higher residual and I can get a better rate that way.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Good choice. The RX-8 is the only non BMW I'm considering. I really like the promise of a light weight, high horsepower four door at a reasonable price, and think the design of the interior is cool.

The weight has been confirmed at 2900 pounds? That was the spec that was conspicuously absent in all the press releases from Mazda I've seen.

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let me try to answer all the questions I can :)

First:
The weight has been confirmed at 2900 pounds? That was the spec that was conspicuously absent in all the press releases from Mazda I've seen.
It's been confirmed at LESS than 2900 lbs. Take a read of this on my site. Should clarify that. I'm estimating the car to be mid 2800 lbs, but we can always hope for lower :)

When do you expect to see delivery of your RX8 ?
May of 2004. Even if it's released earlier (which I doubt anyhow), I have to wait until May because that's when I graduate school and will be able to afford it. I already told my folks about it, and they like the car... If I don't find a job right away my dad agreed to pay for a few months of insurance and payments. I don't think I'll have a problem though, I have lots of experience where I'm headed :)

What is the torque? It doesnt have much right?
It's not a torque monster. Rotaries aren't known for torque. The RX-8 is rated at 162 lb/ft at 7500RPMs. However, since the maximum torque is reached at 7500 RPMs instead of the low 3s and 4s for most V6s, there's a real benefit. Take a read here.

Any other questions, please ask away :) Happy to answer, especially for those of you who want all that BMW has to offer but without paying the premium :) I think the RX-8 will be as close as it gets. The 350Z may be fast.. but it's not balanced properly (and most magazines have already mentioned this). The RX-8 won't be as fast as the 350Z, but faster than the 330, and hopefully better handling than both :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.