BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

went over a speed bump kinda fast and now my power steering is gone!?!

4530 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  sonspot
Ok so i diddt really go over a speed bump it was an intersction that i crossed was like a speed bump, i was running an orange light, didnt hear any clanks or notice anything weird but my power steerign is gone.
checked the fluid tank dont notice anything weird, fluid still there not too dark, no leaks on the drive.

havent scanned for codes yet.

note; for some reason my DSC is permantly off ("brake" light orange and DCS icon on)
some people might find it as plus

i'm running on pretty big 18"
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I went over a speed bump at school with alittle momemtium yesterday and bottemed out on my cross member! But everything is still cool. Check the pump.
Hmmm, my friend in the Dominican Republic hit a SHARP speed bumper in the middle of the night with his VW Gol and nothing happened. He was doing 25-30
If you don't have a leak (which I would expect you have if you hit the bump hard) then your pump is probably stuck.
I'm willing to bet if you slacken the belt you will be able to pull the power steering shaft and pulley out the front of the pump.

Make sure you install or (pay to have) the new pump (technically old) and pressure hose referenced in the TSB. A new reservoir would be a good idea as well since there is a filter in it.

Same thing happened to me with my 325.
Oh, no! :yikes: Another "lifetime" filter... I guess Europeans must have very short lifespans... :tsk:
A new reservoir would be a good idea as well since there is a filter in it.
Was talking about this the other day with a friend. The "lifetime" design aspect is based around how a car would be driven over in Europe. North America is really the only place where you will see older, super high mileage cars (ie. the 1995 740i w/ 165K I worked on today).

Gas is super expensive, taxes are high, etc., etc. so they have fewer miles put on them and the "lifetime" parts may just last a lifetime there --- simply because the miles are low. Here, on the other hand, cars are driven every single day in stop/go traffic, short trips, varying speeds, high temps, low temps... whatever.... all the time and anytime thus requiring more maintenance.

PLus, don't forget their job IS to SELL you cars.... :)

OP -- you find the problem yet?
Oh, no! :yikes: Another "lifetime" filter... I guess Europeans must have very short lifespans... :tsk:
maybe you shouldnt run lights,.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.