BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having cleaned out my car today i noticed the rear offside passenger footwell was very damp, Quite wet actually, Its not a spilt drink, something is obviously leeking and from what i can gather reading other peoples comments it could be a door seal. The only problem is other comments are about other bmw`s, Has anyone with a e65 come across this issue before?

·
E65/E66 Helper Man.......
1,511 Posts
make sure it's not coming in from your sunroof... i, as well as a few other members have reported water leaking through if you had a bad weather seal...

·
14 Posts
have the seals checked.

before i traded my '04 for an '06 last year i dropped car off for regular maintenance with all windows, sunroof and sunroof shade closed. one of the items on punch list was noisy sunroof.

next day it was raining when i picked up car. just like always the car was cleaned and waiting in the service bay. i got in and drove away. about 1 mile down the road when i came to a stop light the water started to show at the area you mentioned, near the sunroof opening, and along the outer edges of carpet where the bmw door step nameplates are. turned around and drove back and found out the following:

the techs left the sunroof glass open but shade closed and as you all know that darn shade can block a good deal of noise-coupled with the fact that my stereo was on i never even knew roof was open!

needless to say they quickly offered up a free full inside/out detail.

* i have to say that i was happy for the drain holes that directed most of the water to the outside

·
14 Posts
hmmmm - my shade doesn't completely close when i have the sunroof open:dunno:
the shade has closed with sunroof all the way open on my prior '02, '04 and does not on my '06.

tech told me that '02-very early '04 production dates did not have the "safety clip" feature that was added so shade can not be closed while sunroof is open.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Had my car into bmw recently regarding the wet carpet, they say the doors and sunroof are fine, there not the cause of water entering the nearside rear carpet, they now want to take out the seats, carpet, and center console to look for the cause??? surely theres an easier way of diagnosing this problem. Does anyone know of, or heard of any other way that water can enter that rear passenger footwell? just to add, it always seems wetter under the passenger front seat right by the floor air vent, could water enter through that?
Any help on this matter would be grate thanks.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
On my 540 I used to get that, it was the plastic sealer on the inside of the door, water would get in and leak through the bottom of the door, It could also def be the sunroof DRAINS get them blown out, it was very common on my e34.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just removed the back seat, pulled the carpet forward and sucked about half a bucket of water from under the carpet, no wonder i can`t get it dry, the carpet has a thick sponge backing which holds the water. Im sure your right about the door seal, im gonna wash it in a moment and see if i can spot where its running in now ive got the seat and carpet up.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
got the water in the roof im going soon before my warranty expires so wish me luck fellas

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
washed the car and cannot see any water running into the car??? certainly not from the rear door? ive removed approximately 6 litres of water from under the carpet and out of the sponge that backs the carpet. Im wondering wether a previous owner may of had a door seal fixed in the past and this waters been sat there prior to it being fixed? If i was to try and check the sunroof drains, where do i start and how do i blow then out?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Opened both passenger doors and poured water over the glass and water isnt comming in through the door its running off as it should be, tried to see the sunroof drains but cannot seem to see them? anyone know where i should look exactly on this model of car??? and are there drains on the rear window?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Your SA @ the dealership can pull the history of your vehicle. Hopefully that can shed some light on your problem.:dunno:

·
Registered
26 Posts
First of all from this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GL62&mospid=47775&btnr=54_0308&hg=54&fg=05

Look at item #19

You should have two water outlet hose rear & one water drain hose Left front, one Right front. Total of four outlet.

I tried this on my 745I since I'm having some issue too. slide back sunroof.
You should be able to see the left and right front drain hole. pour some water from a cup not a lot. the outlet of the water should drain near your front driver and passenger tires.

Look at this link:
http://www.volksbloggin.com/2008/01/21/guest-how-to-replace-sunroof-drain-hose/

the outlet is in the exact location of your E65.

Someone told me if they are indeed clogged to use your air compressor to blow the dirt out.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I might have the same problem.. I have 2006 750li and if the car stands on 25-30 degrees angle, nose up I get wet carpet on the passenger rear side and also upper side and a little bit of roof cover is wet. BMW checked it under 4 hours of water pressure but it didn***8217;t leak. I think it only happens when the car is on the angle and in heavy rain..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey all, I had my car in for wet carpet also. It was the rear passenger quarter window leaking. Somehow the seal that goes around the glass was screwed up. It was letting water in every time it rained, washed the car, and when there was dew. The water ran down the door and onto the floor. BMW vacuumed as much water as they could cleaned the carpet and installed a new seal all under warranty. Smelled for a couple weeks but that went away. Good Luck!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts