BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have searched the forum and have a few questions. 98 528i I have the stupid wet floor syndrom on the rear driverside floor. It seems to come from the bottom up.

I am asking this as a question. While raining, does the "clogged" door collect the water and begin to spill over, bypasses the vaopr barrior and goes between the door panel and metal frame and drip down?

I have looked over the seal and have sat durring a rain storm but I get the "while you are watching it ...it wont happern thing happen." I just can not seem to find an exact trail. I have two rear floor mats the top one is dry as a bone. I even put tissues on top to see if it was leaking from the sunroof. I undertand that the vapor barrior is an issue, but my reason to know the trail is that I can add sealer to make sure it does not happen again.

I have the need for knowlege as to how the water is getting there. WHY WHY WHY!
Thanks

PS
I swear if Bangle has anything to do with this errrrrrr. :mad:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well to add to my post!! It has rained today, but this time I took the bottom "bmw" label floor eschutchen off. Upon rechecking the drain they were clear. I found that between the door panel and door frame there was water puddling up. Still not sure how this water is making it. Any info would be helpful

·
F87 on the way!
1,610 Posts
RakNaks said:
Well to add to my post!! It has rained today, but this time I took the bottom "bmw" label floor eschutchen off. Upon rechecking the drain they were clear. I found that between the door panel and door frame there was water puddling up. Still not sure how this water is making it. Any info would be helpful
Not sure where it came from but I had it too. They replaced a seal (~$300) but covered it under the warranty.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, mine is a 98 so I am assuming I am out of any warranty :cry: . It is just an interesting thing to see that the seal actually seems to hold the water to make it crest over to leak over the seal. :eek: I am almost thinking of putting a few holes in the seal so that the water can past out and flow outward. Its like a damn cresting and spilling over.

I am very certain that the water drips from between the door panel and the door frame.
Thank you for your input! :D

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
my fellow worker has the same problem with his and he has less mileage than i do, and mine isnt leaking. Hes been fighting this problem since x-mas and cant find the solution some days the floor is wet and others, its not!! Any help would definitely be appreciated!

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
We used to have a similar problem in a 323iT... the final fix was a new (replacement) vapor barrier... They kept resealing the old one, but it didn't help... The old one had become porous, allowing the water to weep through, and then run down the door panel and into the car... the final fix was determined by a BMW mechanic sent down from NJ... Meanwhile, our dealership had had the car in the shop for over two months... :tsk: We sold the car shortly afterward, but it did seem to fix it... Good luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
321 Posts
RakNaks said:
This vapor barrier, where is it? Is it the panel between the door frame and door panel. Mine looks like foam. I am assuming BMW will have a superceeded part.
This is very common on the E39. The vapor barrior is a clear or black plastic (looks kinda like a plastic trash bag) liner that seperates the backside of the door panel & the inside of the door cavity. Depending on how good a job the last person working on your car did (when replacing the window regulator or door lock actuator, as the vapor barrior has to be gently removed to access these items) you may or may not have one in place or it may be torn.

Replacing the vapor barrior & sealing it back on will fix your water leak-good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Woody said:
This is very common on the E39. The vapor barrior is a clear or black plastic (looks kinda like a plastic trash bag) liner that seperates the backside of the door panel & the inside of the door cavity. Depending on how good a job the last person working on your car did (when replacing the window regulator or door lock actuator, as the vapor barrior has to be gently removed to access these items) you may or may not have one in place or it may be torn.

Replacing the vapor barrior & sealing it back on will fix your water leak-good luck.
Do you know if there is any step-by-step pictures to replace the vapor barrier? I have same problem and will like to fix it befoer the carpet stains.
Thank you;

·
Registered
3 Posts
vapor barriers

I have a 97 528i and a 2003 525xi, and both have had a wet rear carpet from defective vapor barrier adhesion. Possibly poor adhesive used by BMW. The dealer replaced the vapor barrier in the door in each case. The 3 was in warranty, the 5 not (ouch!). Clearly a quality issue here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Vapor Barrier door leeks

I purchased a 2002 530 in October of 2007. I have had it into the shop where times I bought it (4)times (Fitzgerald Auto mall) They replaced every gasket they could find but from time to time I can still raise Goldfish in my back seat floor. Finally I found this site BMW 40 miles away wants aprox $299.00 per door. At this point I am thinking "if ya want a job done right then do it yourself...ofcourse if I mess it up, I can always take it to BMW. I may still have them do the drivers front door unless someone here can tell me how to diable the door side airbag the passanger front door is dry as a bone but the rest leak.

any help be appreciated [email protected]

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey,
Thank god someone revived this thread, I was beginning to wonder if it was only me. For a week now I have been racking my head to figure out where the water is coming from. So to make sure I am on the same page, this is the plastic "bag" liner inside the door that you access by removing the door panel correct? And then what? Get a new "bag" and clue the sucker on?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes it is under the inner door panel, it is like a thick tough foam not a plastic bag. Go to napa and get a roll of Butyl window seal, I got the 1/4" diameter which is just right and a roll will easily do 2 doors. Remove the inner door panel, carefully remove the liner, clean off all the old sealer, apply new and replace all the parts, no leak no more!

PS I think the roll of butyl was like $13

Lance

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.