BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are there anymore formal positions to be played/named here in the Bimmfest world we call the Knights of the Roundel? Some positions we have not explored are: Marquess, Viscount, Count, Earl, and Baron.

Maybe the next question should be, is do we need any other royal positions? For those on this forum who do not have a name, shall be now deemed/called a Squires, Peasants or Paupers.:p

:blah: Humor me okay.:D

·
Astigmatic Visionary
2,802 Posts
The Peasants, Paupers and Vassals are reserverd for us 3ers aren't they?:p ;)

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
gbelton said:
For those on this forum who do not have a name, shall be now deemed/called a Squires, Peasants or Paupers.:p

No need for that Duke Kwelfish. We have routinely labelled them as one miserable mob, namely the unwashed.

·
AMV Roady
7,469 Posts
650iOzBoy said:
No need for that Duke Kwelfish. We have routinely labelled them as one miserable mob, namely the unwashed.
I really like the Aussie term unwashed relating to certain types. It has a clean, subtleness to it. :rofl:

·
weRe not in kansas anymoR
793 Posts
650iOzBoy said:
...atleast he didnt say piss-ons!!! or better yet, piss-off !!!! :slap: :angel:

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Oh My!

I think I'm keeping out of this debate. However, anyone who wants a title can ask me for it or grab it him/herself.* We have Prince Siximus on the M6 Board as well as Lord Launchalot, Prince of Electrons. I am either the Kingfish, or simply Fish Bait** (and, whatever else I may be, always the Viceroy of O.E.M.).

We still have a bunch of Honorables who haven't claimed their titles. I guess the Keeper of the Fuel Injectors will have to keep the Domesday Book open awhile longer.

I don't think a 3er owner has to be part of the Mob. Some 3er owners may simply have fallen on hard times. :D

Hey, Jon, can we have our own forum? (Just kidding.)

* No Ladies yet!

** The vassal Fallen Angel's name for me. I am tough. I can take it.

·
ex-M couper
1,750 Posts
gbelton said:
Are there anymore formal positions to be played/named here in the Bimmfest world we call the Knights of the Roundel? Some positions we have not explored are: Marquess, Viscount, Count, Earl, and Baron.

Maybe the next question should be, is do we need any other royal positions? For those on this forum who do not have a name, shall be now deemed/called a Squires, Peasants or Paupers.:p

Well, as we are all Knights of the Rondel, we are properly addressed as "Sir" Soandso or "Dame" Soandso. This is separate from any ranking in the peerage. Knighthood is earned, and cannot be inherited.

As far as the peerage is concerned, all peers of the realm may be addressed as Lord or Lady Soandso be they a mere Baron or Baroness or a Royal Duke or Duchess or even one with no patent of nobility but only an award of Arms. Now addressing a Duke as Lord Soandso would be a gross insult but not technically wrong. He would be addresses as His Grace, Duke Soandso, or if he also had a Knighthood, as His Grace, Sir John, Duke of Rondelia.

As I seem to recall from memory, but subject to error:

A Baron beats a commoner --- Lord Soandso.
A Count (or Earl) beats a Baron and rules a (Surprise!) county --- His Excellency, Count Soandso.
I believe a Viscount is merely an unlanded Count.
A Duke beats a Count, and rules a Duchy --- his Grace, Duke Soandso.
A Prince beats a Duke and rules a Principality --- His Highness, Prince Soandso.
A Royal Prince beats a Prince and is in line to inherit Kingship --- his Royal Highness, Prince Soandso.
A King beats 'em all and rules a Kingdom --- his Majesty, King Soandso.

A marquis is a specifically French title of nobility ranking similarly to a Baron.

There are feminine versions of all these.
Baron -- Baroness
Count/Earl -- Countess
Viscount -- Viscountess
Duke -- Duchess
Prince -- Princess
King -- Queen

Marquis -- Marquise

If one wants to get deeper into it, there are many other titles of nobility in other countries. We could have Thanes, Margraves, Shoguns, and even Czars.

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You're Too Funny

Looks like someone has been doing a little WIKIPEDIA homework. Thanks for the lesson in Royal and non-Royal names.

Search back to the beginning when Mal first introduce this Knight-hood idea and you will find our English (England) brother in arms gave us a lesson in the ranking and file.

Thanks Bob Clevenger or is it, Sir Historian of SCI-FI and other great Facts...?

What? you have a given name already? Maybe you should re-think?

The Duke - Kewlfish:D

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Bob Clevenger said:
Well, as we are all Knights of the Rondel, we are properly addressed as "Sir" Soandso or "Dame" Soandso. This is separate from any ranking in the peerage. Knighthood is earned, and cannot be inherited.

As far as the peerage is concerned, all peers of the realm may be addressed as Lord or Lady Soandso be they a mere Baron or Baroness or a Royal Duke or Duchess or even one with no patent of nobility but only an award of Arms. Now addressing a Duke as Lord Soandso would be a gross insult but not technically wrong. He would be addresses as His Grace, Duke Soandso, or if he also had a Knighthood, as His Grace, Sir John, Duke of Rondelia.

As I seem to recall from memory, but subject to error:

A Baron beats a commoner --- Lord Soandso.
A Count (or Earl) beats a Baron and rules a (Surprise!) county --- His Excellency, Count Soandso.
I believe a Viscount is merely an unlanded Count.
A Duke beats a Count, and rules a Duchy --- his Grace, Duke Soandso.
A Prince beats a Duke and rules a Principality --- His Highness, Prince Soandso.
A Royal Prince beats a Prince and is in line to inherit Kingship --- his Royal Highness, Prince Soandso.
A King beats 'em all and rules a Kingdom --- his Majesty, King Soandso.

A marquis is a specifically French title of nobility ranking similarly to a Baron.

There are feminine versions of all these.
Baron -- Baroness
Count/Earl -- Countess
Viscount -- Viscountess
Duke -- Duchess
Prince -- Princess
King -- Queen

Marquis -- Marquise

If one wants to get deeper into it, there are many other titles of nobility in other countries. We could have Thanes, Margraves, Shoguns, and even Czars.
Lord Helpus, you are now Head of the Office of the Herald of the Knights of the Roundel. You will be contacted soon by these publishers:

Please give them the straight dope, er info.

Although BruceWayne is no longer with us (as a 6er owner), I am seriously contemplating making him the Gentleman Usher of the Carbon Fibre. While you wouldn't know it if you met me, until his death a few years ago my uncle-in-law was Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod (aka "Black Rod") in England. Through the now ex-wife who, along with the Z3, is now gone.

If you want to know what Black Rod does, just :google:. Obviously, we will have to give a similar important task to our Gentleman Usher. Since he will be clearing the way for me before I open 6erfest, he will have to be someone I can trust. BruceWayne, can you do it? You can lead the way in that Acura NSX.

Lord, help us!

By the way, the Princes and I are addressed "Your Highness" or "Your Majesty." When I am carrying the orb of state I may also be referred to as "Your Excellency."

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Where Are the Women?

BMWs, even 6ers, aren't owned exclusively by men. So where are the women? Princess Malibu is on the list, but only because she is a blood relation to the Kingfish. At 9 she can't drive yet. (Though she did convince me to buy the 6er in May 2005.)

Mrs. Credit777 is a 6er owner, but neither she nor her hubby, Lord Moneylent, has posted here in a while, not since they got back from the 6er driving school. So we can't bestow the title of Lady Moneylent, Duchess of San Diego, on her, I guess. Maybe when they check in again.

How about other women 6er owners?

·
ex-M couper
1,750 Posts
Yeah, Kingfish, we is beginnin' to sound more like The Mystic Knights of the Sea than The Egalitarian Knights of the Roundel.
C'mon in Ladies; this ain't no Old Boys Club.

·
Astigmatic Visionary
2,802 Posts
Knights of old were all about egalitarianism.:)

·
ex-M couper
1,750 Posts
Yep. All knights were equal under the code of chivalry. The unwashed masses were another thing entirely!

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agree

Mal, Clarke...

This is key to BMW ownership! Have Fun!!:thumbup:

·
Nothing witty here
2,604 Posts
If we're all knights, then we are all Sirs, no? The other titles do not imply knighthood necessarily although knights do serve under them.

·
ex-M couper
1,750 Posts
Correct. Knighthood does not imply nobility, nor does nobility imply knighthood.
Knighthood actually has a higher position in the order of precedence than nobility and all knights are addressed as 'Sir' or 'Dame.' So you would be porperly addressed as Sir Trail- Mix-A-Lot, Lord Irrelevance, or simply Sir [insert given name here].

I suppose I am Sir Robert, Lord Helpus! :) The 'KtR' in my sig indicated that I am a Knight of the Roundel.

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Sir Trail-Mix-a-Lot said:
If we're all knights, then we are all Sirs, no? The other titles do not imply knighthood necessarily although knights do serve under them.
Sir Robert said:
Correct. Knighthood does not imply nobility, nor does nobility imply knighthood.
Knighthood actually has a higher position in the order of precedence than nobility and all knights are addressed as 'Sir' or 'Dame.' So you would be porperly addressed as Sir Trail- Mix-A-Lot, Lord Irrelevance, or simply Sir [insert given name here].

I suppose I am Sir Robert, Lord Helpus! :) The 'KtR' in my sig indicated that I am a Knight of the Roundel.
Look, you guys can sort that out. I am not "Sir." I am "Sire."

·
Registered
163 Posts
Surprised to see such interest in the aristocracy from such an egalitarian country as
the USA.

FYI the rankings of the British titles in descending order are as follows:-

1)Duke )
2)Marquis/Marquess )
3)Earl * ) All of these are "Peers", are members of one of the
4)Viscount ) degrees, and are addressed as "Lord".
5)Baron )
6)Baronet -(lowest hereditary British order, addressed as "Sir").

* "Count" is the foreign equivalent of an "Earl"

Female Equivalents:-
1)Duchess
2)Marchioness
3)Countess
4)Viscountess
5)Baroness

There, I'm sure you now feel better for knowing this!

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm The Duke!

I speak, therefore I am!

THE DUKE!:rofl:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.