BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 X3 with 17" wheels. Apparently that's not so common, but it is what it is.

Anyway, it's time for new tires again. Last time I did this, I put on these:

245/55R-17 Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZP

They are apparently unavailable now.

Tire Rack has three options, these look like the best alternative:

CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON RUN FLAT - SIZE: 245/55R17

Is that my best bet? I had heard bad things about Bridgestone Duelers.

I am open to not doing runflats, but don't really have a concern either way. In my experience, nobody has these in stock, so if I do have a flat, I'm looking at buying new tires anyway and not having the use of the car for a couple days, so non-runflats aren't looking so bad.

Ideas?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had the Pirelli all-weather tires on my wagon, and they had poor steering response, so that I was never satisfied. Now I have the summer P7 Cinturatos, also from Pirelli, and they have very nice steering response. I use Pirelli Soto Zero tires in the winter. The X3 is a little heavier with more ground clearance than my F31, so that my experience is not exactly comparable to your case.

In between the first Pirellis and my present ones I had high performance Continental tires that were too harsh and too noisy and also wore down too quickly. I found a telephone call to Tire Rack very helpful. Good luck in finding tires that you like!

·
Registered
278 Posts
If your wedded to run-flat tires and no 17's are available, why not by a set of 18" wheels and take your pick of various brands? There are plenty of reconditioned X3 and X5 wheels (both will fit your car) on ebay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am open to creative suggestions, and not wedded to run-flats. This is already a ~$1000 undertaking, so I wasn't necessarily looking at ways to double that (i.e. winter/summer tires, or new rims). I could spend the extra money if it really was the best answer, but would prefer not to.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I bought a set of General winter tire AND wheels for my 2016 X3 (sized 225/60-17) and spent no where near a $1000 for the entire setup. Not sure where you buying your tires, but Tirerack lists two dozen tires in 225/60-17 and many are around $100 each. BTW, my owner's manual lists 225/60-17 as an acceptable size for the 2016 X3. Granted there not as wide as 245's, but the difference is not easily noticed and you're concerned about cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I will look into that, that's a creative suggestion. I was quoting approximate prices for tires considered to be valid for my vehicle, and none of those are close to $100/tire.

My owner's manual does not say 225 60r17 is an acceptable tire for the vehicle, and I've never seen any online tire size lookup (at a tire vendor or the BMW web site) list that as an acceptable tire size, but perhaps it's an option. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK tire fans, so armed with the suggestion to change sizes, today's best idea is a Bridgestone Driveguard 235/60r17. This is still a runflat, just slightly larger and thinner than the 245/55r17s spec'd for the car. They are at TireRack for $138 plus various fees for delivery and then installation. So this looks like my go-to plan unless anybody has any other inspiration.

·
Registered
230 Posts
just few weeks back had new CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON RUN FLAT - SIZE: 245/55R17 tires, previously had Bridgestone Duelers but less then 15K miles 2 of the tires worn out completely on the edges. when asked the tiretrack SA who suggested to go for CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON RUN FLAT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
225/60r17 would be the alternative correct size to your 245/55r17. I use that size for my winter tires vs my 18" for summer. Check tire comparison Tool:
https://tiresize.com/calculator

It is the correct tire diameter, sidewall, circumference, and revolutions to not affect your speedometer.
Understood. The Tirerack agent claimed that the 0.4" difference in width made the 235 a better choice for the application, despite the 1.x% speedometer difference. You may disagree.

·
Who, me?
2,733 Posts
I am open to creative suggestions, and not wedded to run-flats. This is already a ~$1000 undertaking, so I wasn't necessarily looking at ways to double that (i.e. winter/summer tires, or new rims). I could spend the extra money if it really was the best answer, but would prefer not to.
We replaced our Bridgestone Duelers with another set of Bridgestone Duelers (runflats). That's been a couple of years ago. On a 2011 with that same size.
I joined Costco just to buy the tires from them. They were that much cheaper. I think I was out for about $900, including the $55 membership.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.