BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay... so the 330i is on order. I figured out what options and packages I wanted, and it's time to move on to other things: accessories and mods! What "essential" items am I missing? Please keep in mind that I prefer to remain mostly OEM.

EDIT: Seeing as how I've taken some heat for calling this list "essential items" :p ... plus the fact that I missed a couple items, I updated the list below.

Must-Have Items
  • 35% Madico tint, charcoal gray. Dark enough to keep the sun's heat out, but light enough to see into and out of the car easily. $200
  • BMW Wheel locks PN: 36 13 1 180 882. Thrown in by the dealership. $Free
  • BMW Floor mats PN: 82 11 1 470 424. Thrown in by the dealership... both carpeted and rubber. $Free
  • BMW Universal garage door opener PN: 82 11 1 470 125. I need to be able to get into my garage. $140
  • Thule base rack/cross bars. I've got bikes and Thule bike carriers... so I need the rack that fits the BMW to replace my old rack. $150
  • XM Radio. I'll just transfer my Pioneer unit from my current car. I'll never listen to FM radio again.

Would-Like Items
  • BMW Warning triangle PN: ???. Being safety conscious... using it only once could very well make it worth it.
  • BMW First aid kit PN: ???. Same principle as the warning triangle.
  • BMW Clear lenses PN: ???. Purely aesthetic, but something that I personally really like.
  • Style 42 Cross Spoke II wheels PN: 85 32 9 408 691. I like these much better then the stock 68M's that come with the sport package. $440 ea.

Not Sure About Items
  • BMW Alarm PN: ???. Trying to determine if it's worth the cost.
  • BMW Umbrella and holder PN: 82 27 9 405 747. A neat thing, especially since I always carry an umbrella anyway. $47
  • BMW Aluminum pedal kit PN: 35 00 0 007 018. Eh, just something to help personalize the car. $60
  • BMW Valve caps PN: 36 11 0 009 840. Just some more personalization. $12
  • BMW Trunk deck spoiler PN: 51 71 0 000 670. Not sure yet. Anyone have pictures? $225

Wish List
  • BMW M3 Paddle wheel
  • Dinan CAI
  • Dinan Exhaust
  • Dinan Throttle body
  • Dinan Software
  • Dinan Steptronic software

What am I missing? What else can I spend my money on? :eek:

G

·
OBS3SSION said:
Okay... so the 330i is on order. I figured out what options and packages I wanted (still deciding on the NAV), and it's time to move on to other things: accessories and mods! What "essential" items am I missing? Please keep in mind that I prefer to remain mostly OEM.

• 35% Madico tint, charcoal gray. A must-have, and to be done as soon after delivery as possible. $200
  • BMW Wheel locks PN: 36 13 1 180 882. Thrown in by the dealership. $Free
  • BMW Floor mats PN: 82 11 1 470 424. Thrown in by the dealership... carpeted and rubber. $Free
  • BMW Warning triangle PN: ???. Where can I get one of these?
  • BMW Universal garage door opener PN: 82 11 1 470 125. Another must-have. $140
  • BMW Umbrella and holder PN: 82 27 9 405 747. A neat thing, especially since I always carry an umbrella anyway. $47
  • BMW Aluminum pedal kit PN: 35 00 0 007 018. Are these worth the $60?
  • BMW Valve caps PN: 36 11 0 009 840. $12
  • BMW Rack base/cross bars PN: 82 11 1 470 125. I may go with Thule instead... whichever is cheaper.
  • Style 42 Cross Spoke II wheels PN: 85 32 9 408 691. I like these much better then the stock 68M's that come with the sport package. $440 ea.
  • BMW Trunk deck spoiler PN: 51 71 0 000 670. Not sure yet. Anyone have pictures? $225
  • XM Radio. I'll transfer my Pioneer unit from my current car.

What am I missing? What else can I spend my money on? :eek:
Funny. But I do not consider ANY of those to be essential. Valve vaps? Essential? Umbrella and holder? Essential? Aluminum pedals? Essential?

What about drivers schools?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I use the word "essential" loosely, and perhaps a bit tongue-in-cheek. Basically, it boils down to wanting a nicely equipped and accessorized car.

As for school... I've taken one, and will be doing the performance center delivery with the included school. I may also look into returning for the 1 or 2-day school as well at some point. But, I don't track the car, street race, or other any other form of motorsport, so the use of schools for me is simply what I can apply to daily driving.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
What am I missing? What else can I spend my money on?

The first thing that comes to my mind would be to replace your steptronic transmission with a manual. Also, I wouldn't spend $60 on the shinny pedal fad. Warning triangle, what do you want that for! Other than that… I would say you have got the OEM mods covered.

PS: Get the NAV, you will love it!:thumbup:

·
Registered
138 Posts
go get the NAV

Well I would say go for the NAV instead of all these mods. NAvigation is much more usefull and worth the value and keep in mind this thing you cannot add the orignal BMW nav after you have the car or after ur car goes into production.

·
Spending Way Too Much
211 Posts
Not sure whether this is "essential", but if you are safety-minded, like me...

1. European/Canadian First Aid Kit & Bracket (mounts under Passenger Seat, and includes Hard Plastic Box with Green Cross, Hard Plastic Bracket which is used in the Sedan, Coupe AND Cabriolet...I found this out the HARD way!!, German First Aid Supplies & 3 Self-Tapping bolts that screw into holes that are exist in the seat frame) - $62.50CDN (about $37US, plus shipping...probably $10.00). You can order it from Otto's BMW, here in Ottawa and they'll ship it to the US. They've done this quite a few times. Call 613-725-3048 and ask for Bob Dufour in Parts. (www.bmwottawa.com)
It took 5 minutes to install this.

2. BMW Fire Extinguisher (Can't get them in Canada, but you may be able to in the US) - They mount under the driver seat. Not sure about the price

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The first thing that comes to my mind would be to replace your steptronic transmission with a manual. Also, I wouldn't spend $60 on the shinny pedal fad. Warning triangle, what do you want that for! Other than that… I would say you have got the OEM mods covered.
I chose to order a Step because I've been driving 5-speeds for 14 years, and to be honest with you, I'm getting a little tired of rowing my gears all the time. Besides, I'm not as coordinated as I'd like to be, and both my wife and myself is sick of the car lurching around every time I shift gears. Test driving the Step, I found it to be the best auto-manual transmission I've driven. Fun too.

Shiny pedal fad point taken. They were on the lower end of my priority list anyway.

Warning triangle? Please tell me you are at least somewhat safety conscious. I've had use for a triangle many times, and not once for breaking down. I've picked up nails in my tires and have had to change them in bad places (blind corners, over the crest of hills) and I've also stopped to help others... mostly family members who break down or get flats.

Well I would say go for the NAV instead of all these mods. NAvigation is much more usefull and worth the value and keep in mind this thing you cannot add the orignal BMW nav after you have the car or after ur car goes into production.
Well, I think I'm going to add the NAV to my order. But I will still get some accessories as well.

I am surprise with all the essential parts you have listed, I don't see the M3 steering wheel. That's a much, IMHO.
Actually, I forgot to add the M3 Paddle Shift wheel to my wish list. Looks like a nice mod, though perhaps a bit expensive.

I also dont see CLEARs as a part of the list along with the M Stearing Wheel. These 2 ares musts along with the NAv
You're right about the clears. I do indeed want those too, and forgot to put them on the list. See... this is why I ask these questions. ;)

Not sure whether this is "essential", but if you are safety-minded, like me...
Good point. Yes, I may just need to look into the first aid kit and fire extinguisher. Perhaps a bit frivolous, but isn't owning a BMW frivolous to begin with? :D

FWIW, I'd recommend the Thule rack over the BMW one, even if the Thule costs a little more: www.coates3.com/bmw/racked_bimmer.htm. Thule offers a much wider array of accessories for their rack system than BMW does.
Yes... I may need to go Thule regardless because I already have the Thule bike carriers for my current car. Didn't think of the compatibility issues.

Need a short shifter and hella air horns too
Um... no.

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
OBS3SSION said:

[*]BMW Warning triangle PN: ???. Where can I get one of these?
You can get this along with other OEM stuff & some german only stuff from Maximillian Importing Co.

1-800-950-2002 until 6 eastern time

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Based on the input, I've updated the list on the top post. Oh, and I added NAV to my order yesterday. Hopefully now my list won't be scoffed at anymore... I "fixed" the part about it being essential items. :p ;)

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
OBS3SSION said:
Based on the input, I've updated the list on the top post. Oh, and I added NAV to my order yesterday. Hopefully now my list won't be scoffed at anymore... I "fixed" the part about it being essential items. :p ;)
I saw your original list and saw nothing wrong with what YOU wanted !!!

Some people here are so quick to jump on others when they see things on a list that THEY don't feel is essential but then when you ask a question they are the same people to tell you that you shouldn't need to ask because you should know what you want . . . sounds hipocritical to me !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts