BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everything is only a matter of time. If your transmission were to fail, then where would you have it rebuilt today? Who can be trusted on the east coast with rebuilding a e39 transmission without getting completely extorted? For others that have rebuilt their transmission, how much did you spend by the time the codes were cleared? Has anyone swapped a used transmission or had their transmission rebuilt only to have it fail again? Has anyone received a transmission through car insurance coverage?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
another choice is to buy used form junk yard
i have doubt that you car insurance have something to do with failed parts
thanks for the suggestion. I ask about insurance covering transmissions because my friend's transmission failed in the snow. He waited a month for the snow to clear and then claimed "comprehensive" through flooding which did occur in some parts of Wayne, NJ. He received a brand new transmission for his 2007 toyota avalon after a $1000 deductible. Of course his way of going about it was not completely legal but I was wondering if others have heard similar stories.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I try to ukpkeep maintenance as much as I can.
There are very few reputable shops in U.S. of A.
Maybe none in Canada.

If Socal - viable choice is Dose BMW to rebuild the tranny.
This is the best choice.
A used tranny has the downside of no history - you don't know what you get.

For me, I will be between a hard spot and a hammer (no shops to quality rebuild ZF units), so I am reading and preparing as much as I can, for when time arises, maybe I could have the guts and DIY.

Talking with my indy concerning this situation he literally told me: "The guy who I know is rebuilding the units is not good enough, and all the trannies were bust after 1 or 2 years tops after his rebuild. The best alternative in this situation is to go to the dealer and get a new transmission installed for 4000 or 4500 bux"

·
Under the lift arms
13,168 Posts
Part your 540 out to me and buy a 6 speed ???

:)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
champaign- you are right about the car value depreciating, but I will never sell my e39 (unless my great great grand kids sell it to an enthusiast or bmw museum) so if I could pull off a free transmission through insurance I would

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe none in Canada.

This is the best choice.

For me, I will be between a hard spot and a hammer (no shops to quality rebuild ZF units), so I am reading and preparing as much as I can, for when time arises, maybe I could have the guts and DIY.

Talking with my indy concerning this situation he literally told me: "The guy who I know is rebuilding the units is not good enough, and all the trannies were bust after 1 or 2 years tops after his rebuild. The best alternative in this situation is to go to the dealer and get a new transmission installed for 4000 or 4500 bux"
I can't handle the truth and can't imagine what could possibly replace my e39. Does the owner of BMW have any daughters I can try to marry?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe none in Canada.

This is the best choice.

I purchased a factory reman automatic ZF unit for my 330i from Dose BMW in 2008. Paid $2600 + $800 core. Car is still driving great, and Dose sent me a check for $800 right away once they received the old unit back. The only thing i'd suggest, would be to use your own carrier for ~$100, not Dose's recommended carrier for $250 for the return shippment.

·
Registered
739 Posts
thanks for the suggestion. I ask about insurance covering transmissions because my friend's transmission failed in the snow. He waited a month for the snow to clear and then claimed "comprehensive" through flooding which did occur in some parts of Wayne, NJ. He received a brand new transmission for his 2007 toyota avalon after a $1000 deductible. Of course his way of going about it was not completely legal but I was wondering if others have heard similar stories.
That's called Insurance Fraud. In some places, you can get jailtime for it.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
That's called Insurance Fraud. In some places, you can get jailtime for it.
yea that was a bad example, my point was that at some point car insurance will cover failed parts depending on the situation and wondered if other e39 owners ever went through that process. I imagine that with a 10 year old e39 (worth 6-8k) they would consider it totaled and not give the value of the car just for the transmission

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Doru, i have been hearing rumors of ZF certified shops popping up here in the lower mainland as well as in calgary.. I think they are part of the Gearcenter/Highway group or something.
http://www.gearcentre-offhwy.com/

However i have no experience with them.
There is a ZF shop. I contacted them but it's for heavy machinery.
Also, talked with someone in De to ask what you need to open a ZF shop. Not easy. They will not allow to carry their brand name and work on their products if you are not certified by ZF.
You have to to be certified by them - meaning you pay for the school in Deutschland (not sure how long). Exams, yadda, yadda, yadda. Need the right paperwork from them and home.
Get license, open shop, apply for rights to import their parts (ZF). You're set. There are a few places in the US that carry original ZF parts. I could source 2 legit ones (not sure how they got their license). The 3d might be Dose.
Could be more, but I could not source them.

Not a chance, here in W Canada.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just talked to Gary (Gearcenter) 4032523880 here and he is going to check into it again .. Lucky you it is in calgary.
Maybe if we can show enough demand we may be in luck.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Just talked to Gary (Gearcenter) 4032523880 here and he is going to check into it again .. Lucky you it is in calgary.
Maybe if we can show enough demand we may be in luck.
There are maybe 10% of the BMW owners here in Calgarywho are technically educated and care about their car.
The rest either care about how the car looks, or if he/she is driving the right car for her/his standard, or drive a leased vehicle.
In the 10% category you see mostly e30, e36 (most), some e46, a few e39. The rest of e46 you can see them getting degraded as time goes by. Same for the dwindling e 39 fleet.
The rest are e60 and e9x. F10 start appearing, but very few. I bet the e60 and e9x are not serviced (tranny at least).

I would love to have a tranny pan just like the e9x have their engine oil pan - you slide the darn thing out and replace with a new unit. Dealer service only.

Soooo who do you think from all those people will go and ask for transmission service?
I believe the same "statistic" is in Vancouver.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Most ZF transmissions are bad because of a cracked drum. You can buy a extended warranty from a 3rd party warranty company and they will cover the transmission.

But they will make you get a used one, so you would tell them to get a used one with a Lifetime warranty. Our customers do that all the time. ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Statistically it is correct, but there are still a bunch of people and if they start having proper service shops available more people would come do it instead of dealing with the 3000% markup by the Canadian BMW dealerships.
Have you read the interview with the CEO of BMW canada, which basically states we can charge over 300% more then US dealers because canadians are to stupid and will pay it. Well the lough would be on him!

There is a reason that there is a 3 month wait in the service center at Friedrichshaven and Dortmund to get your tranny serviced.

Also heard of a bunch of people who basically figured out that it is cheaper to ship your car from here to germany then to get it serviced by dealers.. I would call that CRAZY!, but hey if i get nailed for $900 just for a fluid change and all they do is take old fluid out and look at it and put the same **** back in. Thanks but no thanks .. Done with Canadian BMW dealers!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just got a call back from Gearcentre .. They are not allowed to get into automotive transmissions from ZF because of BMW Canada, who has exclusive rights to ZF. ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess BMW NA doesn't have this deal, else Dose would probably not exist.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Talk to some indys and some dealers. Ask around. That will find you a good source.

If you can't or won't do that then pay thru the nose.

Transmission shops are notorious for rip offs. I had a friend that owned 2 of the beep beep shops. No names mentioned here. He sold them due to the ethics in the industry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a question...Mine has the GM 5L40E, would I have an easier time finding a local shop to do transmission work? Isn't this transmission in several GM cars, i.e. Caddys as well?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts