Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
The King of Common Sense
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know since everyone is an unknowingly hypocrite at any one time.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
There are ***8216;christians***8217; and there are Christians and there are Christians of a thousand variations. A Confessing Lutheran need not fear hypocrisy or failure to confess or a forgotten sin as we are reminded at Communion when we drink the Wine that is the new covenant in Christ***8217;s Blood freely given for all in forgiveness for ALL sin.

Perhaps my favorite service is Communion Minister.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,477 Posts
What assumptions should I make ...
The etymology of the word assumption is from Latin (Medieval) assumptio, ‘a taking up’, and, apropos, as then applied to Christ’s Mother ‘a taking up into Heaven’. From Latin through Middle English as assumpcioun.

All four uses of assume in Shakespeare’s Hamlet have the sense of take-up (lines 463, 705, 1675, 2563)

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,549 Posts
The etymology of the word assumption is from Latin (Medieval) assumptio, ***8216;a taking up***8217;, and, apropos, as then applied to Christ***8217;s Mother ***8216;a taking up into Heaven***8217;. From Latin through Middle English as assumpcioun.

All four uses of assume in Shakespeare***8217;s Hamlet have the sense of take-up (lines 463, 705, 1675, 2563)
More recently, Jerry Belson wrote a line he'd heard from a former teacher, "Never ASSUME, because when you ASSUME, you make an ASS of U and ME."

·
The King of Common Sense
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK, what is his point if someone introduces himself as a Christian? This comes up often with handyman, contractors, plumbers, service people, or even "Christian family in need of renting a house". You don't have to defensive. Just let me know that because you are a Christian, I can assume you are trustworthy.

If you don't believe me, this came from a quick check of craigslist..
<< < prev 1 - 21 / 21 next >
Feb 13 HONEST CHRISTIAN Lawyer/Family/Estate&Life Ins/Criminal Def/Industrial (Houston) pic map

Feb 9 HONEST CHRISTIAN Lawyer/Family/Estate&Life Ins/Criminal Def/Industrial (Houston) pic map

Feb 7 Christian Handyman Service, the right Handyman for the job! pic map

Jan 30 HONEST CHRISTIAN Lawyer/Family/Estate&Life Ins/Criminal Def/Industrial (Houston) pic map

Jan 24 HONEST CHRISTIAN Lawyer /Family Law/Estate Plan./Criminal Def/dustrial (Houston) pic map

Jan 21 Christian Brothers Concrete (Galveston) pic map

Jan 20 Christian Handyman Service, home repairs, siding (cypress, copperfield, NW & W Houston) pic map

Jan 16 HONEST Christian Lawyer /Family/Estate Plan./Criminal Def/ Industrial (Houston) pic map

Jan 15 Christian mobile mechanic (All over Houston) pic map

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not sure what they mean in that context, they seem to be linking it with honesty, so that is likely what they want you to infer. They are definitely trying to use it as a good attribute, but lots of people are deceptive, so maybe you shouldn't use them? They won't work on their Sabath day either, so you can assume they are lazy too.

Was this a genuine question or were you just Trolling around?

·
Nuclear engineer
17,477 Posts
Self-assigned epithets are virtue signaling. Trust and verify.

See the meaning of epithet.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,549 Posts
Was this a genuine question or were you just Trolling around?
You've nailed it. :)

Dave is old enough to know how he wants to handle people in the real world and he does a fine job of it. This is yet another chance for him to bring outward a familiar target of debate within himself. Most of the regulars know the drill and pick apart the pointlessness pretty quickly, just as you and Doug have done here.
Self-assigned epithets are virtue signaling. Trust and verify.

·
The King of Common Sense
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I can tell who is having a hard time convincing himself what is a Christian like in the real world. To most here, who cares, but a few seem to be targeted and offended by the question. To be a Christian is to spread the word, yet a few here have nothing to say, even offended that the subject was brought up. Now, I find that very amusing. My curiosity is still there. What does he implies when the handyman posts that he is a Christian? Will he only work for others who are Christians? Is there a secret handshake that I need to know before he comes and perhaps to replace a garbage disposal? Or the lawyer who claims to be a Christian in his ad. Can I trust him not to overcharge hours to a case?
And, there is Prop who prefers not to assume anything in his picked up quotation. Well, I assume a lot of things. When the light is green at an intersection, like most people, I assume it is save to cross it.

·
The King of Common Sense
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,549 Posts
Well, I assume a lot of things. When the light is green at an intersection, like most people, I assume it is save to cross it.
Before you go charging blindly through, here's hoping you follow the sage advice of our membership here:
Trust and verify.
Whether it's green traffic lights or an attorney who believes in giant spaghetti monsters in the sky, the advice doesn't change.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,549 Posts
they became defensive.
I can tell who is having a hard time....
a few seem to be targeted and offended by the question.
And so the truth rolls right back around.
I assume a lot of things.
I've seen it happen before, but it's rare so quickly and in the same thread...
"Never ASSUME, because when you ASSUME, you make an ASS of U and ME."

·
The King of Common Sense
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When someone proclaims himself as a Christians there must be some inherent value to do so. I don't see ads that reads, I'm a Muslim, or Hindu, or an atheist.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,477 Posts
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

See the cultural virtue signaling head gear currently going on in the United States House of Representatives.

I suspect Islamist-centric ads in such as Minneapolis or Detroit.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,549 Posts
When someone proclaims himself as a Christians there must be some inherent value to do so. I don't see ads that reads, I'm a Muslim, or Hindu, or an atheist.
Are you able to see within yourself and share with us why a person identifying himself with a religious label makes you leap to such assumptions?

·
Uniquely desultory
7,558 Posts
It's easy to say "I am a Christian." Not as east to unfailingly behave like one. While I believe in giving people room to make errors, to forgive, I'm not crazy about people wearing their religion on their sleeve. Jesus said to not pray where people can see you, in effect saying don't look for cred on some display (or claim) of religious faith. Talk is cheap. The proof is in the pudding.

Matthew 6

1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
unfailingly behave like one? What does that mean? It seems that everyone forgets that christians are humans - they are fallible. Humans are ALL fallible - every last one of them.

If someone tries to behave in a moral and upright manner for a solid majority of the time and screws up a couple of times - are they not a 'good person' - depends I guess on the screw up and a whole host of other factors.

I'll take someone who tried to work their life and personal business as well as their professional business in good way, whether they are christian or not. I also know a good many who do these things without attending church or telling someone about their faith immediately, and sometimes ever.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,477 Posts
I just last night and this early morning watched the moderated discussion betweeen Sam Harris and Jordan Peterson. Late in the two hour video, atheist Sam Harris accuses Jordan Peterson of "believing in God," and Jordan Peterson sharply corrected him, "I act as though there is a God!"

Peterson also noted that Harris also acts as though there is a Christian God for such behavior being inherent in Judeo-Christian and Western culture.

https://youtu.be/jey_CzIOfYE. As I said, two+ hours long and they returned the next day for another two hour discussion, Part Two/

https://youtu.be/GEf6X-FueMo

1 - 20 of 47 Posts