BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 X5 D started flashing the brake pad warning today, so I guess I will be doing a brake job next weekend.

Looking for advice on what parts to pickup, here's what I'm thinking:
Rear Rotors - Beck Arnley - $121.58 for the set
Front Rotors - Beck Arnley - $165.58 for the set

Rear Pads - Raybestos - $49.79
Front Pads - Raybestos - $69.79

Sensors Rear & Front - Raybestos - $13.95 + $14.95
Not replacing caliper bolts or spring retainers (this is the first brake job @ 60k miles)

I'm most concerned with the correct pads to buy. Other options are:

Brembo Pads - Rear & Front - $49.00 & $73.75
or
Bosch, Power Stop or Hawk HPS Street

Frankly I love the brakes as they are, so I'd just like to keep them working 'as is'.

Anybody have suggestions in these price ranges?

Thanks!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,094 Posts
For my E60 and E39, I SWEAR by, and am totally in love with, Zimmerman CoatZ rotors, and Akebono pads. Quiet and clean.
Same here- zimmerman rotors and akebono euro pads...amazon..free 2 day shipping.. I think 100 per rotor front, 75 rear/ Pads 60 or 70. I opted for OE sensor.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
If you like brakes as they are, you are looking at wrong options.
A. Rotors any of these:
1. ATE
2. Brembo
3. Zimmerman
4. Pagid
5. OEM

Pads:
1. ATE
2. Textar
3. Pagid
4. OEM (just bcs of pric)

If you want Toyota braking performance, get Akebono.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,094 Posts
Pads:
1. ATE
2. Textar
3. Pagid
Out of curiosity, is there only ONE option for each of these mfgs for the E70? Would help buyers to know.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Out of curiosity, is there only ONE option for each of these mfgs for the E70? Would help buyers to know.
You are right.
ATE regular pads are around $70. Now they have new ceramic version that is upward of $200.
Textar has e-pad, ceramic too. Not willing to try if they are anything like Akebono performance wise. Pagid has regular pad for around $56, but have Pagid Red that has improved performance. Thy are specifically made for Bavarian Aurosport and they claim that they dust less with better response. Highly doubt, but I might give them a try.
If OEM feeling is the goal, I would just buy all ATE.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've put Powerstop Z16 / Z17 pads on a few cars recently, and I think it's my favorite street pad now. Super cheap, low dust (probably 20-40% more dust than Akebono Euro, about 5-10% of oem). Good cold response, and no squealing like Akebonos tend to do when cold.

I'll take slightly more dust to not have my car sound like a garbage truck when braking in a parking garage when cold.

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
You are right.
ATE regular pads are around $70. Now they have new ceramic version that is upward of $200.
Textar has e-pad, ceramic too. Not willing to try if they are anything like Akebono performance wise. Pagid has regular pad for around $56, but have Pagid Red that has improved performance. Thy are specifically made for Bavarian Aurosport and they claim that they dust less with better response. Highly doubt, but I might give them a try.
If OEM feeling is the goal, I would just buy all ATE.
Ive had the bav auto pads and they stop like oem they are about 50% less dust but still dusty. id go w the akebonos to be honest w ziimermann z coats and call it a day.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Ive had the bav auto pads and they stop like oem they are about 50% less dust but still dusty. id go w the akebonos to be honest w ziimermann z coats and call it a day.
You are telling me or OP?
I think birds already know Akebono's WILL NEVER enter my garage.

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
You are telling me or OP?
I think birds already know Akebono's WILL NEVER enter my garage.
U asked about the bav auto red pads. Ive had at least 3 sets on my older x5 and an e46 both stopped great. alot less dust but still dusty. all around a solid choice. If you were debating Im telling you they are good!

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
U asked about the bav auto red pads. Ive had at least 3 sets on my older x5 and an e46 both stopped great. alot less dust but still dusty. all around a solid choice. If you were debating Im telling you they are good!
Ah OK. I was thinking you are talking about Akebono.
Yeah, apparently they are made for Bav Auto strictly. Dust is non issue, I go for performance, but if it dust less that is good.

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
I just sold my e53 that had a fresh set of akebonos and also have them in my s550. I nvr had a squeeling issue. e53 pretty much felt same after the pad replacement. In my s550 believe it or not the car stops better than the oem benz pads which were gross all the time.(dusty).car used to creep forward at lights with the oem pads and the akes solved that. On my e65 750 i did notice they were less initially grabby than the oem pads. I also notice slight less grabby on e60 535. 99% sure ill put them on my e70 in a few months when pads are due.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I just sold my e53 that had a fresh set of akebonos and also have them in my s550. I nvr had a squeeling issue. e53 pretty much felt same after the pad replacement. In my s550 believe it or not the car stops better than the oem benz pads which were gross all the time.(dusty).car used to creep forward at lights with the oem pads and the akes solved that. On my e65 750 i did notice they were less initially grabby than the oem pads. I also notice slight less grabby on e60 535. 99% sure ill put them on my e70 in a few months when pads are due.
I actually managed to miss STOP sign with Akebono pads. I knew it that car (VW CC) braking will have less initial bite, and still put them on. They were bed in. So approaching intersection and did not see STOP sign and slammed on brakes and actually ran STP sign half a car. Granted, I had before EBC Yellow Stuff, but still even compare to OEM VW pads they were bad.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hello DaHealey. I, like yourself, am happy with the OE brakes that my X5 came with. I always buy my brake parts from the dealer (online or local, if they will price-match), and everytime, the brake pads are made by Textar. For something like this, where you want to compare dealer stuff verses available OEM options, FCP Euro does a really nice job listing all your options. When it comes to rotors, I have never been able to discern who makes them, but my hunch is Zimmerman. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
I actually managed to miss STOP sign with Akebono pads. I knew it that car (VW CC) braking will have less initial bite, and still put them on. They were bed in. So approaching intersection and did not see STOP sign and slammed on brakes and actually ran STP sign half a car. Granted, I had before EBC Yellow Stuff, but still even compare to OEM VW pads they were bad.
wow never felt i was missing any braking grip, but I guess every car is different. I know my benz got better and my 750 was worse.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
wow never felt i was missing any braking grip, but I guess every car is different. I know my benz got better and my 750 was worse.
Yeah, I took those Akebono's down after that, they had maybe 2K.
I think you are right, depends on the car. Cars with more performance oriented brake set up will experience decline in braking.

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
well my s550 boat I felt stopped so much better after. So your prb right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I JUST INSTALLED EBC green 6000 series on my 08 X5 4.8i along with there slotted rotors,$340 dollars absolutely outstanding.I used EBC for years racing and this set was very responsible price and the difference from the stock paid pads is night and day.perfect brake in Las Vegas is the distributor for the US.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I JUST INSTALLED EBC green 6000 series on my 08 X5 4.8i along with there slotted rotors,$340 dollars absolutely outstanding.I used EBC for years racing and this set was very responsible price and the difference from the stock paid pads is night and day.perfect brake in Las Vegas is the distributor for the US.
So Green stuff works good? I used on VW CC their Red Stuff (good) and yellow stuff (amazing, but noise is, oh well). Now I have on wife's Tiguan Brembo rotors and red stuff, and works great.
So, no noise, all good?

1 - 20 of 115 Posts