BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what brand of anti-freeze is appropriate for late model BImmers (say 2000 and newer)? Are we stuck with buying only the factory stuff?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
os said:
Anyone know what brand of anti-freeze is appropriate for late model BImmers (say 2000 and newer)? Are we stuck with buying only the factory stuff?
It's a tough call...I've been using the run of the mill stuff from Pepboys to fill up inbetween flushes and no ill-effect. However, the manual and Bentley's both state that you SHOULD use BMW formulated anitfreeze. I figured the price difference isn't really all that great that it's really a toss up.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Not a guru here but....

I had a GM with steal block and alum heads and in 3 yrs (after a flush) metal (the heater tube connection at the block/rubber hose) had been completely eaten away. Come to find out that when there are diff. metals in an engine you can develop electrolysis which in turn corrodes the metal parts. GM sells tablets that you are supposed to use with the anti-freeze. I suspect that since BMW sells a formulation of anti-freeze that if such a anti-corrosive was required it would be present in the fluid. So, personally I will stick with BMW anti-freeze to be safe.

Just a thought

·
Registered
561 Posts
I just bought a gallon of the OEM stuff. Assuming you have no leaks, shouldn't have to use very much (just a top-off every now and then). I've only had to add a half a cup (to top off) in first year of ownership.

·
blubb blubb blubb
1,168 Posts
I've noticed my coolant level has dropped some in the 6 months and 4600 miles I've had the car. (Anyone else?) So I went to Pep Boys to get some coolant to top it off. There were a bunch of different brands in there. I asked the guys in the shop which one I needed and read them the part of the manual stating what is required- something like long life, metal free, amine free, etc. Two guys at once said the same thing: Get the Prestone long life one. It's in a grey bottle. Maybe $7.50 for the gallon. The most expensive one they have. I can look at exactly what it is when I'm at home if you want. I diluted that 1:1 with distilled water. Maybe took about a cup to fill it back to the max level. Just did that this weekend. We'll see if the level drops again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts