BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
operknockity said:
I believe that is Damon's car. From his sig pic, he has 235/40 S-03's on 18" Hamann HM2 rims.
It is Damon's car, got it from the titanium headlight thread. I'm seeing that the wheels in silver are about $350 but don't seem to come smaller than 18". I've got fairly new 235/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sports on the car and would like 17" wheels if possible. It's for a 540iAT sport.

Keeping up with cleaning these wheels is awful. And, I need to refinish 3 of them for $700 anyway. Spare is a new wheel.

·
Registered
279 Posts
John,

They're Hamann HM2s in 18x8.5 w/Bridgestone S-03 Pole Positions in 235/40/18. HM2s are
a VERY popular wheel and I'm absolutely sure that Hamann has fitment for the 540. Unfortunately
(or maybe fortunately - depending on how you look at it) you will have to upgrade your rubber 'cause
I don't think they're available in anything under 18".

Call Pete (?) at WheelExperts.com. I got my whole setup for just a hair over $2k. I'm in SoCal and
WheelExperts.com is in TX (IIRC), so I saved sales tax. I also picked up the wheels @ WheelPower
(the importer) in SoCal, so I saved shipping as well. :D

FWIW - I think that the 540 would look wicked with a set of 18" HM2s, even if that means shelling out
a few extra clams for new rubber. :thumbup:

Couple more shots...

·
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Damon said:
John,

They're Hamann HM2s in 18x8.5 w/Bridgestone S-03 Pole Positions in 235/40/18. HM2s are a VERY popular wheel and I'm absolutely sure that Hamann has fitment for the 540. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately - depending on how you look at it) you will have to upgrade your rubber 'cause I don't think they're available in anything under 18".

Call Pete (?) at WheelExperts.com. I got my whole setup for just a hair over $2k. I'm in SoCal and WheelExperts.com is in TX (IIRC), so I saved sales tax. I also picked up the wheels @ WheelPower (the importer) in SoCal, so I saved shipping as well. :D

FWIW - I think that the 540 would look wicked with a set of 18" HM2s, even if that means shelling out a few extra clams for new rubber. :thumbup:

Damon, thanks for the reply. Besides the dough, one of my concerns is a harsher ride for my wife. The car has the sport package already and I'm don't know if 18" wheels with less rubber would make for a harder ride. She, and I for that matter, seldom have the opportunity to really put the car thru all that it's designed to be. Also, I'm concerned that with less rubber, she may be more prone to curb rash and nicks, etc. I'll call wheelexperts and talk to them, maybe they've got suggestions. Thanks.

That's one beautiful car you've got there. I'll vote it as one of the best looking (if not *the* best) on this forum. Such continuity in the package, silver, painted and machined wheels, black with titanium trim interior, clears. It all comes together fabulously. Understated elegance with just enough sportiness and meat.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
I really like those wheels as well... one of the only aftermarket wheels I've seen that I do like as much as/better than the stock 68Ms. And just about the only product from Hamann I've seen that doesn't just look cheezy, IMO.

Is it possible to use the BMW center thingie on the HM2s, or are you forced to exhibit the Hamann logo?

·
Registered
279 Posts
johnlew said:
That's one beautiful car you've got there. I'll vote it as one of the best looking (if not *the* best) on this forum. Such continuity in the package, silver, painted and machined wheels, black with titanium trim interior, clears. It all comes together fabulously. Understated elegance with just enough sportiness and meat.
Thanks John. Understated is precisely the look I'm going for. I'm not really big on "ice" and extravagant aesthetic mods; I'd rather keep the appearance bold, yet clean at the same time. Next will be light/med tint and then performance-enhancing mods only from that point forward. Eisenmann exhaust, conforti intake & shark (when it's out). Maybe Shrick cams.....maybe. UUC SSK and sways.

In another year, maybe an sc unit if I don't get the cams. Dinan, AA.....depends what's out at that time. ...and of course a coupe of //M badges on the trunk for good measure (sic). :D

(edit) Fcuk it. I won't talk about things I don't know are FACT (like the swaybar thing). I don't want to be responsible for starting any unfounded rumors.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Damon said:
Eisenmann exhaust, conforti intake & shark (when it's out). Maybe Shrick cams.....maybe. UUC SSK and sways (if the sways won't wreck the auto-leveling on my bi-xenons - which I think they can do).
Interesting... never heard of that concern. I have the UUC Sways and haven't noticed any difference in my bi-xenons, but will pay closer attention now that this seed has been planted in my brain... how exactly would the sways affect the auto-leveling? Do you think the auto-leveling is somehow body roll-dependent?

I'm with you with regard to mod/appearance philosophy. I'm going for a classy, clean, stealthy look. The only "cosmetic" mods I've done are 38% tint and debadging. Also looking forward to Conforti CAI/Shark (when available), and possibly UUC TSE down the road at some point. But that will probably be it, unless I decide to go for upgraded springs/shocks in the future.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Theoretically, the upgraded sway bars DOES NOT affect the autolevelling of the Xenon lights. The autoleveling sensors (I had to look this up in the Bentley's manual) is mounted to the suspension and connected by a rod to the lower control arm (front and back). However, since the sway does limit the amount of flex and motion the lower control arm has in relations to the other wheel, and limit bodyroll in general, it CAN have some effect on the sensor. Can't really say it's got any effect since the day my sways are installed, although Stuka has noted that my Xenons don't autolevel at all, not like his 2002 bi-xenons.

My suspicion is actually, that the autolevel sensors are disconnected when I changed my front bumper.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Damon said:

I think it has to do with lowering the susp & adding beefy sways. Maybe it'll happen with the stock sways as well. I don't want to start any unfounded rumors, but I think that's it. I seem to remember someone saying it a few months back. Someone lowered, added beefy sways (not nec. UUC) and the sways smashed the auto leveling deeliebob when the susp took a hit.

I'll have to look into it more, 'cause I really want the UUC sways.
It's probably got more to do with the lowering.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The HACK said:

It's probably got more to do with the lowering.
Good point you raise...

Originally posted by The Vinnymac on E46fanatics last month
First off, you'll be fine with the stock sway bars. You will not be able to adjust them anyway.

The xenon self-leveling servo arm is attached to the front passenger control arm and needs to be disconnected (on nut/bolt) before you drop the front suspension or else it will break. Make sure you mechanic is aware of this. It will be intuitively obvious what needs to be done once you look at it.
Looks like I was scared for nothing. SwayBarbarians here I come. :D

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Damon said:

Just noticed something Hack. Why the M3 rear-view mirror?
My friend bought an E46 M3, and did NOT like the autodimming feature as well as the shape/ergonomics of the E46 M3 interior mirror. He wanted a none autodimming, regular E46 mirror and proposed a trade when he recieved his vehicle.

Not one for turning down a project, I tackled it head on and swapped the mirror with him. Had to take apart my headliner and snake a wire down the driver's side of the car to get the autodimming mirror feature to work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The HACK said:
My friend bought an E46 M3, and did NOT like the autodimming feature as well as the shape/ergonomics of the E46 M3 interior mirror. He wanted a none autodimming, regular E46 mirror and proposed a trade when he recieved his vehicle.
Hmm...I'm getting an M3 and suspect I'll want to do the same thing. I don't care for the oval look, and I NEVER dim my mirror, so...

Pretty easy transplant on the M3 side?

Alex

·
AWD? In California?
133 Posts
VERY easy. Mirror is a 5 minute job provided that the wiring is already present.

Personally, I prefer the look (and the tint color) of the M3 mirror over the standard E46 mirror. The M3 mirror is large enough to cover the whole rear window (with the C pillars just barely in view), and dims to shades of blue rather than greenish-black for the regular E46 mirror. On top of that, the clown nose is a lot lower-profile, and the mirror housing itself is finished in a smooth black plastic rather than the semigloss textured plastic of the regular E46 mirror.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.