Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the things you can do for an e90 under 3K to make it faster? Something that wont make your car super loud or mess with everyday driving, but enough to boost it's HP...

·
Registered
4 Posts
it's not a direct hp gain,.. but, lose the run-flat tires. it'd be about the equivalent of taking out a passenger from your back seat. plus it won't muck around with daily driving, actually might make it handle better!

aside from the obvious; exhaust, air intake, chip, etc. there are better ways to make your e90 quicker (and are less likely to void your warranty). i'm considering a light-weight flywheel & a pair of non-rft's this spring. the 06 330 is a few hundred pounds too heavy and needs to go on a diet. just as good as getting a few extra hp, in my opinion :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I love the Sport seats but they just can't be light. I bet you can lose >100 lbs (and some comfort) by replacing both with race seats.

The obvious is not obvious to me. Who makes a "chip" for the e90 and what is the gain? What is the proven gain of any CAI or exhaust available for it?

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
You could spend $3K on a driving school...that would make your car faster.

·
Registered
291 Posts
First three things I would do to an E90 if I intended to take it to the track:

-Buy lighter wheels in the same size for all four corners and put really good rubber on them.

-Free-flow exhaust that is loud enough to hear. You can't hear the stock exhaust at the track with the windows down.

-Short-shift kit.

Those three things alone would make it much better as a track car, though it is good right out of the box. After doing those three things, I would then start looking at what could be done to the engine. Having a good track car isn't always about increasing power.

·
Registered
291 Posts
First three things I would do to an E90 if I intended to take it to the track:

-Buy lighter wheels in the same size for all four corners and put really good rubber on them.

-Free-flow exhaust that is loud enough to hear. You can't hear the stock exhaust at the track with the windows down.

-Short-shift kit.

Those three things alone would make it much better as a track car, though it is good right out of the box. After doing those three things, I would then start looking at what could be done to the engine. Having a good track car isn't always about increasing power.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
There's always a curmudgeon who loudly proclaims, "improve the driver not the car! H'yuk, h'yuk, h'yuk" <or whatever your yokel-laugh sounds like>. Even if the thread is not about driving skill. After SCCA auto-x'ing for enough years to have been a club instructor I know enough about skills versus hardware. But thanks for asking.

Seems like street-to-track cars, esp. heavy ones like ours, most frequently require improved brakes. But I have no idea how the stock e90 stands up to a track day. Do the stock pads crumble and cry for mercy? Does the rotors glow and boil OEM fluid?

If I understand e90 construction correctly, we could really use a Torsen-style limited slip differential.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Penforhire said:
Seems like street-to-track cars, esp. heavy ones like ours, most frequently require improved brakes. But I have no idea how the stock e90 stands up to a track day. Do the stock pads crumble and cry for mercy? Does the rotors glow and boil OEM fluid?

If I understand e90 construction correctly, we could really use a Torsen-style limited slip differential.
I took an E90 325i to Watkins Glen last summer and did about 3-4 sessions on-track (probably around 2 hours on track). The brakes held up better than I thought they would, but at the least, you should certainly upgrade to a better pad compound if you plan to track it on a regular basis.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Penforhire said:
There's always a curmudgeon who loudly proclaims, "improve the driver not the car! H'yuk, h'yuk, h'yuk" <or whatever your yokel-laugh sounds like>. Even if the thread is not about driving skill. After SCCA auto-x'ing for enough years to have been a club instructor I know enough about skills versus hardware. But thanks for asking.

Because most of the time it's true. I've seen club instructors who have no clue what they're doing.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Penforhire said:

Then I guess you posted in the wrong forum then. If you had any intention of competing the E90, we would have to know what class and what type of racing. But instead we get a general question about performance mods, which without knowing what class or type, there is no way we could possibly know what to recommend other than driver training.

But in the end I have to wonder if someone with your credentials shouldn't know this or where to begin for track preparing a car. From what I understand the fundamentals are all the same.

One more thing. 90% of the people I have met that compete Bimmers stick with a stock brake setup. Maybe pads but that's it.

·
Tightrope walking
9,559 Posts
Penforhire said:
The wife and I spent two days at Sears Point in Nov last year and drove her e90 pretty hard. After 4 hours of track time (8-30 min sessions) I noticed no loss in braking power of any mushiness in the feel. The pads have held up admirably. Did not see any red rotors, either. But neither of us is advanced enough to really push the car, so I can't say with 100% certainty that you won't experience any problems.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I'm not the original poster. It just annoys me when responders show a lack of understanding of the original post and refuse to add anything helpful.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Penforhire said:
Even if the thread is not about driving skill.
Hey your highness,

This thread is posted under "Motorsports, Racing & Track" subforum and the original poster asked about making the car faster yet maintain its daily drivability. All signs point to improving driving skills.

Request the thread to be towed to the E90 subforum instead if our replies here bother you that much.

·
Registered
809 Posts
wahpah said:
What are some of the things you can do for an e90 under 3K to make it faster? Something that wont make your car super loud or mess with everyday driving, but enough to boost it's HP...

If the 330i is not fast enough for you, trade it in on a Mustang....

I second dumping the runflats - the extra mass at full diameter add significant rotational inertia.

Replace the differential with one that increases engine revs by about 15%

·
Registered
658 Posts
wahpah said:
Wheels/tires are always good...

And you can always :eeps: :eeps: NOS it :eeps: :eeps: :eeps:

It's cheap, and gives insta-gains. But your warranty (and possibly your engine) is pretty much toast.

·
Registered
474 Posts
BMW 330 is not worth "fixing up". 255HP is more than enough power for daily driving, keeping a fun car to drive in the tracks, etc.
If you wanted a fast car:

1. Get a BMW M3. Cant afford it? Buy it Used.
2. IS350 is faster but youll hate the "comfort" driving.
3. Put stickers around your car that says "AEM".. Clearly those give 25hp each.

kind off topic but i hate how 3series has two exhaust together. I thought it would look nicer if they were on each side.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts