BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what car did you drive at you driver's examination?

I got my final (we got 2 stages here in Ontario) exam comming up and I am wondering whether I should go in my car or rent some cheap chevy with a slushy?

My friends say not to take the exam in a manual car, and a Bimmer at that, 'cause I'll get failed just for the fact that it's a manual, and a Bimmer :dunno:
Don't think it's true, but my friends are all older than me by at least 20 years, so maybe I should listen?

Anyone has any experience/comments ?

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
rost12 said:
Just wondering what car did you drive at you driver's examination?

Anyone has any experience/comments ?
1983 Oldsmobile Firenza. What a piece of crap. The day before, I replaced the radiator cap...during the parallel parking part of the test steam started coming from the passenger side front of the hood. Examiner asked if everything was okay and I said yes. I couldn't see the pylon up there I wound up nudging it while parking. Since I didn't knock it over, it didn't cause me to fail :thumbup:

Anyway, if your examiner is a prick and you're a young guy showing up in a late model BMW, he may be harsher than if you showed up in something made in North America and 10 years old. OTOH, if you don't do anything wrong and do everything right, it won't matter what you're driving.

·
Registered
738 Posts
rost12 said:
My friends say not to take the exam in a manual car, and a Bimmer at that, 'cause I'll get failed just for the fact that it's a manual, and a Bimmer :dunno:
In the corrupt state of RI, my 17 year old managed to take his test in the E46 (manual) and got a 98 on it. It was pouring rain. I think the test administrator was either impressed or he didn't fit in the sport seats, so the test consisted of driving around the block. Makes you wonder why everyone in America lacks driving ability!

·
Ölmeßstabmeister
762 Posts
None! No driving test required so far... and when I was 16, I didn't even have to take the "written" (ie multiple guess) test since I had passed it 5 months earlier getting my lerner's permit...

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Re: Re: What car did you drive at the driver's exam ?

DrBimmer said:
Makes you wonder why everyone in America lacks driving ability!
I got my first license in Maryland. In MD, at the time, the test involved driving around a closed loop behind the MVA (which means DMV in every other state :rolleyes:). Had to obey all signs, do a three point turn, parallel park, back up 50 feet and not much else.

My little brother got his first license in California, where they at least made you drive on public roads. Anway, when my brother and the examiner were getting in the car, the girl who had been in line in front of my brother was just exiting the parking lot at the DMV...and promptly hit a pedestrian. The examiner made her get out of the car right there. I guess that's what it takes. :bawling:

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
beat up oldsmobile

heck..i don't even remember the model name. shared the same platform as the chevy celebrities. cutlas ciera maybe? 4 door that drove like a boat...very floaty. speed bumps? what bumps...

which location are you getting the testing done? do it up in aurora(bloomington and yonge) they seem to be more laid back there, well at least back when i did it. we didn't have this graduated licensing back then.

ya..i tend to agree with the others, there maybe a risk of jealousy from the examiner to see a young whipper snapper in a e46. why risk it...just go for an old beater that's an auto. this is no time for showing off your car or you manual driving ability. the goal is to get your license here.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for you responses :)

CrhisTO - i'm getting my exam in Oshawa since that's where I managed to get the closest date.

As for the car, I'm not showing off my car, my age or my abilities. I'm just using the only car I've got to do what needs to be done:dunno:

BTW, I can't even rent a car, since I'm 20 and you need to be 21 to rent one :dunno: :dunno:. So I'll have to ask my father to rent one for me and then drive it, even though that's not legal :D

I'll probably just go with father's car, since it's an Audi and has an autobox. It is my understaning that Audi does not have the negative image BMW and MB possess. Let's hope this helps :)

Oh, and I'll try not to hit pedestrians :)

I still have 3 weeks to get back into "non-agressive" mode of driving...Wish me luck :)

·
10,856 Posts
'92 MB 400SE. I didn't have any good options. The alternatives were a Cherry red '97 SL500, a '95 GMC Suburban or a '94 manual 325i. I didn't know stick at that point. :(

·
Registered
240 Posts
LMAO,
This brings back warm memories. I took my driving test in a full size chevy van! Needless to say, I got dinged on the 3pt turn.:)

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
1986 Chevy Blazer, I think it was the 4.0 liter. Manual. Passed the first time (WA State). I never went to driving school though, I just drove after the age of 15 and waited until I was 18 to take the test. :D

Patrick

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
1,817 Posts
It was a late 70-something 2-door Chevy Impala with a carbureted 305 and auto trans.

In New Jersey, I just had to drive two blocks, make sure to STOP at the stop sign, hang a right, and immediately go to the cones to parallel park. (I believe that this was a time-saving strategy, as the majority of people flunked by doing a "California" (i.e. rolling) stop at the sign. If they DID pass that, then the parallel parking would do them in). Then off to drive another couple and blocks and I was done. No "real" driving to speak of. ;)

Then, my dad said, "No more automatics for you. You're gonna have to learn to drive a stick so that you can use the OTHER car."

Gasp ! The 4 on the floor CHEVETTE !!!!! :eek:

The motorcycle test was even a joke. You basically had to do a figure 8 on their parking lot. Done deal. :thumbup:

·
3,440 Posts
In 1987 I took the exam in my mother's 1986 BMW 524td (yup, a diesel). I remember the examiner asked about the tweeters located on the doors by the exterior mirrors.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It was a 1980 Chevy Citation. Can't say I hated it, but then again, the mere fact I was driving was good enough for me. Really didn't matter what at the time.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
A driving instructor's Tercel. I paid him 65 bucks, got me the school's huge sign on top and an auto just to be safe. I passed in about 3 mintues without any kind of parallel or reverse parking. :confused:

·
Registered
182 Posts
1976 Buick Century.

For your driving test, I'd suggest taking the car with the tightest turning ratio. That should make parallel parking or 3-point turns easier to manage.

·
Registered
679 Posts
My classic '84 Bonneville LE (still for sale by the way). The guy was reading a newpaper in his lap and we only went around the block also.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts