Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into a discussion today about which car, past or present, would closely resemble a manual e39 V8 (540MSprt and M5s I suppose). Not sure if it's been discussed here but what do you guys think? Not very many rear wheel drive sedans with a manual V8 besides the obvious modern day muscle cars...Chevy SS, Charger. I know Benz has a ton of sweet V8s but very few, if any, with manual transmissions. Some older Audis got thrown in the mix as well but we all know how reliable those old Audis were lol. Anyways, feel free to chime in.

It's always so difficult to explain to people what makes a BMW a BMW especially the older models. Analog, balanced, smooth, intuitive, blah blah blah lol.

·
Casual Fanatic
2,151 Posts
Manual, RWD 8-cylinder bimmers continued to be made in the E60 and F10 generations.

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 192 K miles
1,519 Posts
But the E60 has a questionable reputation...so, the F10 may be a better bet.
I stick with the E39

·
Constantly Learning
2,013 Posts
Occasionally I think that if I ever come across a clean E90 Comp package in Interlagos that could be a substitute. I'd still have straight 6 coupe and V8 sedan, just now two M3s both in IB. The last naturally aspirated and the last sedan M3s made before BMW went to the 4-Series nomenclature.

But not holding my breath.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You don't "replace" your E39 anymore than you can "replace" your dog. However, it would still be a BMW. Just newer and with none of that Bangle era stuff (sorry E60). It would be the newest BMW I could get that has a manual transmission. I've been thinking of adding an E38 but those are super hard to find in good condition and if they are really clean, the guy want's a ton of money for it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
1968-70 Chrysler B-body... however these are hard to beat. My buddy asked me how come you bought a BMW...I said go find me an American V8 mid-size RWD and a stick. I guess I could go with a CTS-V or or G8, but they'd be 2-3x as much.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
F10 6-Speed M-Sport RWD in the last year of production. Very hard to find.

Of course a clean E39 M5 would trump that, but economically, I can get the above a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My older brother was a muscle car junkie back in the day. If only he'd kept a few lol. He's strictly a Benz dude now. Yeah I skipped the entire Bangle era...went from an e30 in High School, then e36, a few Japanese sports cars, got married and bought an e39, got divorced and got an m roadster haha. And earlier this year bought the m sport. My pick would be an F10 but those are difficult to find in manuals as well.

Edit: We must've been typing at the same time Joe-BMW lol.

Edit 2: Here's a good read - https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/08/04/look-back-f10-bmw-5-series-leaves-us/

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
My older brother was a muscle car junkie back in the day. If only he'd kept a few lol. He's strictly a Benz dude now. Yeah I skipped the entire Bangle era...went from an e30 in High School, then e36, a few Japanese sports cars, got married and bought an e39, got divorced and got an m roadster haha. And earlier this year bought the m sport. My pick would be an F10 but those are difficult to find in manuals as well.

Edit: We must've been typing at the same time Joe-BMW lol.

Edit 2: Here's a good read - https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/08/04/look-back-f10-bmw-5-series-leaves-us/
Too funny. I also had an E30 as my first bimmer and a divorce!

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
Funny you made this thread now.. Out of curiosity I posted my wagon for trade (I know, it's not a 540i, m5, OR even a 5 speed), and in the small list of cars to trade for, the w211 E55 AMG made it on the list. A close buddy of mine goes through cars almost every other week. Usually he'll buy, repair, and flip. Most of the time he'll find some really nice cars, but still end up selling them. He found a mint condition e55 amg a couple months ago and he says that ones a keeper. Around the same generation as our e39's, but they will walk on 540's and m5's any day, and still have the comfort, class, and looks.

But obviously, they only come in Auto in the US AFAIK.

Hopefully one day I'll own an e39 M5 6spd, with an e55 AMG as it's room mate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too funny. I also had an E30 as my first bimmer and a divorce!
Hmm, wonder if there's a correlation?! lol

Funny you made this thread now.. Out of curiosity I posted my wagon for trade (I know, it's not a 540i, m5, OR even a 5 speed), and in the small list of cars to trade for, the w211 E55 AMG made it on the list. A close buddy of mine goes through cars almost every other week. Usually he'll buy, repair, and flip. Most of the time he'll find some really nice cars, but still end up selling them. He found a mint condition e55 amg a couple months ago and he says that ones a keeper. Around the same generation as our e39's, but they will walk on 540's and m5's any day, and still have the comfort, class, and looks.

But obviously, they only come in Auto in the US AFAIK.

Hopefully one day I'll own an e39 M5 6spd, with an e55 AMG as it's room mate.
Haha. Bro has an 05 e55 wagon. Tells me it's got 300k miles and not a single leak ;)

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts

Haha. Bro has an 05 e55 wagon. Tells me it's got 300k miles and not a single leak ;)
:yumyum:

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
E30 or e46....

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
A 911 would be nice. I'd even settle for a non-turbo.

·
Registered
793 Posts
A silver M5 2003 ….. E39 ..yep:) Serious.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts

She hated when I bought that car. It was pre marriage and I think she viewed as she was never getting a ring. I shouldn’t have caved in hindsight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 42 Posts