BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure my stock clutch is on it's last leg at 111,xxx. Today I was on the freeway doing 80 and I could smell it really bad when I downshifted to pass someone. I *really* loved the ACT 6-puck clutch and lightweight flywheel in my '93 MR2 Turbo but I can't seem to find one for the 540i. I've heard I can use the M5 assembly. Aside from sourcing the parts, I'm not sure if I should do it because after I did it on my MR2 there weren't many people who could drive the car without killing it a couple times first. The nice thing is with an on/off clutch like that the thing lasts forever. On the plus side, I was putting a VERY noticable ammount more power to the rear wheels. So much so that I dropped four tenths of a second in the 1/4 mile compared with the stock clutch in good condition (I didn't wait for the stock clutch to go bad before replacing it with the 6-puck). Another thing I'm worried about is the rest of the drivetrain holding up to a clutch this brutal. I'm not worried about the tranny so much as the rest of the components.

The other thing I mentioned is the flywheel. I won't spend the insane ammount of money for the rebranded Fidanza UUC's selling, so I've thought about going with the JB Racing unit. Anyone have experience with these?

Pro's of 6-puck:
- More power to the ground (increasing efficiency in the drivetrain)
- Longer life
- Much better "feel" when shifting

Con's of 6-puck:
- Other people will have trouble driving it
- Increased wear and tear on other components?
- Availability/cost

What do you guys think? I've already taken into account that some people feel this "luxury automobile" isn't "meant to feel this way" and/or that I'm "ruining the balance and/or luxury of the 540i". I appreciate your concerns but I believe half the fun of owning an automobile is customizing it to your own liking.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Getrag

Hey,

How are you? I replaced my 540i6 clutch with a Getrag. Speaking in non-technical terms here, I can tell you that the clutch is "shallow" and "very quick" (I like it that way), and that a lot of first time drives of my Bimmer stall it the first few times. Anyway, good luck in your search.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts