Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm looking at a 2012 335i convertible to replace my E36 323. Nowhere on the listing does it state M-Sport package, not in the VinInspect report or the Autocheck report, but it has the M emblem steering wheel and M-logoed door sill plates...
It's at a Kia dealership, have they got it wrong or is it an imposter?
If I go look at it (today) what should I look for to determine if it is or not?
Thanks in advance.

·
RLTW
564 Posts
Hi all, I'm looking at a 2012 335i convertible to replace my E36 323. Nowhere on the listing does it state M-Sport package, not in the VinInspect report or the Autocheck report, but it has the M emblem steering wheel and M-logoed door sill plates...
It's at a Kia dealership, have they got it wrong or is it an imposter?
If I go look at it (today) what should I look for to determine if it is or not?
Thanks in advance.
If you have the VIN, a VIN decoder will tell you exactly what pkgs the vehicle has. You want to look for these.

S704A M Sports Suspension
S7XAA M Leathr Wheelshift Paddlemultifunc (if auto)
S715A M Aerodynamics Package

There's a couple more but I don't know if they apply to a E93 like headliner and gloss shadow line trim.

https://www.mdecoder.com/

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,276 Posts
M-sport was a cosmetic upgrade to the Sport package, with some external stylings and some on the interior as well. There are zero / no / nada performance differences between an M-Sport and a Sport package E90, no matter what certain people on this board will try to tell you (if someone starts telling you there's a difference between the "M-Sport" and "Sport" suspension, he's wrong).

It's easy to tell if you have the one of the sport packages. Look at the seats. If they have the adjustable thigh extension at the front edge, they're the sport seats, and the car therefore has either the Sport or M-sport package.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have the VIN, a VIN decoder will tell you exactly what pkgs the vehicle has. You want to look for these.

S7XAA M Leathr Wheelshift Paddlemultifunc (if auto)

There's a couple more but I don't know if they apply to a E93 like headliner and gloss shadow line trim.

https://www.mdecoder.com/
Thank you very much! It is indeed an M Sport and I pulled the trigger on it today!
Here's what your link told me.
P337A M Sports Package
P7KBA Navigation Package Professional
S7XAA M Leathr Wheelshift Paddlemultifunc
They deliver it tomorrow, I'm so jazzed, been driving an E36 323 Cab for ten years now. I'll be keeping that for my son.

·
RLTW
564 Posts
Thank you very much! It is indeed an M Sport and I pulled the trigger on it today!
Here's what your link told me.
P337AM Sports Package
S704AM Sports Suspension
S715AM Aerodynamics Package
P7KBANavigation Package Professional
S7XAAM Leathr Wheelshift Paddlemultifunc
They deliver it tomorrow, I'm so jazzed, been driving an E36 323 Cab for ten years now. I'll be keeping that for my son.
Congrats! Enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
905 Posts
M-sport was a cosmetic upgrade to the Sport package, with some external stylings and some on the interior as well. There are zero / no / nada performance differences between an M-Sport and a Sport package E90, no matter what certain people on this board will try to tell you (if someone starts telling you there's a difference between the "M-Sport" and "Sport" suspension, he's wrong).

It's easy to tell if you have the one of the sport packages. Look at the seats. If they have the adjustable thigh extension at the front edge, they're the sport seats, and the car therefore has either the Sport or M-sport package.
You should read this thread paying attention to post #13..

·
Registered
5,495 Posts

+1 purely cosmetic

·
Breaking in the Pony
6,276 Posts
You should read this thread paying attention to post #13..
Quoted exactly from Post 13:
"For what it's worth, I seem to recall that back in 2010 BMW offered something called the Sport Package for the E92, and if memory serves me correctly, there was no sport suspension noted in that package either. It was, I think, wheels, trim, seats and tires. The M Sport Package back then, I think, just added more exterior cosmetic embellishments, different wheels and tires, a black headliner inside, and allowed one to get an M Sport only exterior color or two, which is almost exactly what the E92's M Sport Package now provides."​
Please tell me how that in any way belies my statement above of :
"M-sport was a cosmetic upgrade to the Sport package, with some external stylings and some on the interior as well. There are zero / no / nada performance differences between an M-Sport and a Sport package E90, no matter what certain people on this board will try to tell you (if someone starts telling you there's a difference between the "M-Sport" and "Sport" suspension, he's wrong)."​
That being said, the person making post 13 in that other thread is referring to an E92, which received zero suspension changes from either sport package option (all non-xDrive E92s received the sport suspension, and all xDrive E92s received the xDrive suspension). As the OP in this thread is asking about an E93, it's not particularly relevant.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Quoted exactly from Post 13:
"For what it's worth, I seem to recall that back in 2010 BMW offered something called the Sport Package for the E92, and if memory serves me correctly, there was no sport suspension noted in that package either. It was, I think, wheels, trim, seats and tires. The M Sport Package back then, I think, just added more exterior cosmetic embellishments, different wheels and tires, a black headliner inside, and allowed one to get an M Sport only exterior color or two, which is almost exactly what the E92's M Sport Package now provides."​
Please tell me how that in any way belies my statement above of :
"M-sport was a cosmetic upgrade to the Sport package, with some external stylings and some on the interior as well. There are zero / no / nada performance differences between an M-Sport and a Sport package E90, no matter what certain people on this board will try to tell you (if someone starts telling you there's a difference between the "M-Sport" and "Sport" suspension, he's wrong)."​
That being said, the person making post 13 in that other thread is referring to an E92, which received zero suspension changes from either sport package option (all non-xDrive E92s received the sport suspension, and all xDrive E92s received the xDrive suspension). As the OP in this thread is asking about an E92, it's not particularly relevant.
Guess you missed (or ignored) Does the coupe still have sport suspension as standard?

No. It really was not standard on the e92 either (only initially when the car first launched).

Despite that answer, I see on BMW's website that if one looks at the standard features for an E92 coupe, one will see that "sport suspension calibration" is listed as a feature. Moreover, one won't see "sport suspension" listed as an element of the M Sport package. Can one make any inferences from those facts? Sure. Would one's inferences be correct? Only if one is lucky enough to have made the correct inference, but not because there's a way (based on the info I've found) to prove which inference is correct. So what exactly is "sport suspension calibration" as compared to "sport suspension?" I'll be damned if I know, although, I can speculate on what it means as well as anybody can."

Also if you go onto Real OEM, you'll see listed parts for a 'standard' suspension (s225) for struts, sway bar and the bump stop.

And can you explain this statement "That being said, the person making post 13 in that other thread is referring to an E92, which received zero suspension changes from either sport package option (all non-xDrive E92s received the sport suspension, and all xDrive E92s received the xDrive suspension). As the OP in this thread is asking about an E92, it's not particularly relevant." I thought an E92 was an E92 (in this reality).

Now 1 more question, and think carefully: IF there is no difference between the standard 335i (E92) suspension and the Msport 335i (E92) suspension, why hasn't there been a class action lawsuit against BMW for charging extra for the Msport suspension when the 'stock' suspension is the same?

I've said it before and I'll repeat it: "The only way to know for sure what suspension you have is to decode the VIN". If you see S704A M Sports suspension then you KNOW it has the M Sport suspension.

Attachments

·
Breaking in the Pony
6,276 Posts
Guess you missed (or ignored) Does the coupe still have sport suspension as standard?

No. It really was not standard on the e92 either (only initially when the car first launched).
Dead wrong. From the 2009 E92 order guide, the 3rd year of production for all 335i coupes (which is what the OP is asking about):

Despite that answer, I see on BMW's website that if one looks at the standard features for an E92 coupe, one will see that "sport suspension calibration" .....

The marketing website and $0.50 leaves you short of money for coffee. You look at the order guide, which tells you what the cars come with. From the 2011 ordering guide, for all 335i coupes:

I'll be damned if I know, although, I can speculate on what it means as well as anybody can."
That's your problem. You speculate, endlessly determined to convince someone, anyone, that there's some difference between the Sport suspension and the M-Sport suspension, apparently because you want your car to be "special". The rest of us look at what BMW sold on the car.

And can you explain this statement "That being said, the person making post 13 in that other thread is referring to an E92, which received zero suspension changes from either sport package option (all non-xDrive E92s received the sport suspension, and all xDrive E92s received the xDrive suspension). As the OP in this thread is asking about an E92, it's not particularly relevant." I thought an E92 was an E92 (in this reality).
Oops. You caught me in a typo. The thread you linked to referred to an E92 where the OP is asking about an E93. I accidentally hit the "3" instead of the "2" when I typed it what the OP is looking at. So, it's corrected above to read:
"That being said, the person making post 13 in that other thread is referring to an E92, which received zero suspension changes from either sport package option (all non-xDrive E92s received the sport suspension, and all xDrive E92s received the xDrive suspension). As the OP in this thread is asking about an E93, it's not particularly relevant."​

I've said it before and I'll repeat it: "The only way to know for sure what suspension you have is to decode the VIN". If you see S704A M Sports suspension then you KNOW it has the M Sport suspension.
Yes, you say it all the time. In fact, I had you specifically in mind when I wrote "no matter what certain people on this board will try to tell you (if someone starts telling you there's a difference between the 'M-Sport' and 'Sport' suspension, he's wrong)" in post #3 above. I mean, if you're going to post RealOEM pages trying to prove that, post ones that show there's a difference between M-Sport and Sport, not M-Sport and Standard.

And, to the OP if he's reading this:
  • If you're looking at any non-xDrive E90-series car and it has the sport seats, it has the sport suspension.
  • There are no differences between the M-Sport and Sport suspensions in the E90 series within a model year.

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
That's your problem. You speculate, endlessly determined to convince someone, anyone, that there's some difference between the Sport suspension and the M-Sport suspension, apparently because you want your car to be "special". The rest of us look at what BMW sold on the car.

Yes, you say it all the time. In fact, I had you specifically in mind when I wrote "no matter what certain people on this board will try to tell you (if someone starts telling you there's a difference between the 'M-Sport' and 'Sport' suspension, he's wrong)" in post #3 above. I mean, if you're going to post RealOEM pages trying to prove that, post ones that show there's a difference between M-Sport and Sport, not M-Sport and Standard.
Well butt wipe, the reason I say I have a M sport suspension is because that's what BMW says I have.

I worked a couple different dealerships, managed a few shops .... even stood behind a parts counter for a couple years. When you ordered parts you checked the VIN, engine number, made tracings of parts tags, checked the line ticket and double checked the emissions label.
If you trust a sales person or sales material for your information, you're a fool.

Attachments

·
Breaking in the Pony
6,276 Posts
Well butt wipe, the reason I say I have a M sport suspension is because that's what BMW says I have.

I worked a couple different dealerships, managed a few shops .... even stood behind a parts counter for a couple years. When you ordered parts you checked the VIN, engine number, made tracings of parts tags, checked the line ticket and double checked the emissions label.
If you trust a sales person or sales material for your information, you're a fool.
Lacking data to support your position, you drop to insult while claiming an appeal to authority. And for some strange reason, you think there's some way that will convince people that you know what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
96 Posts
So we have determined the M-Sport package comes with the (only) sport suspension available on the e9x?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Breaking in the Pony
6,276 Posts
So we have determined the M-Sport package comes with the (only) sport suspension available on the e9x?
On a non-xDrive E90 series car in the US, both the Sport package and the M-Sport package add the sport suspension (unless the sport suspension is standard on a model, i.e. on a 335i coupe). In the E90 series, there is no difference between the suspensions added by the two packages.

On an xDrive E90 series car anywhere, there is no way to get the sport suspension, regardless of any packages offered.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
: popcorn:

(sorry guys, I had to, lol. In all seriousness tho, I am curious which is correct)

·
Registered
905 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
You'll have to ask Zooks …. He knows EVERYTHING, or at least he believes so.

·
Breaking in the Pony
6,276 Posts
: popcorn: (sorry guys, I had to, lol. In all seriousness tho, I am curious which is correct)
Well, there's a limit to how many pages of the order guides I feel like posting. That being said, post #14 is unquestionably correct. It's also a statement that could be proven false by example, if one existed.

You'll have to ask Zooks ***8230;.... He knows EVERYTHING, or at least he believes so.
More correctly, "sources his information from BMW documentation as opposed to 3rd party websites". If you think there's something demonstrably wrong in what I said, feel free to show BMW documentation that disproves it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have two 2011 e90 335d cars--one is a Sport, the other is an M Sport. According to Mdecoder.com, the principle differences are:

Under Editions and Packaging, the Sport lists S704A M Sports Suspension, while the M Sport lists
P337A M Sports Package
S7XAA M Leathr Wheelshift Paddlemultifunc

In a nutshell, both have Sports Seats, Xenon Lights, Fog Lights, and the M Sport suspension. I believe the M Sport has a higher top speed limit than the Sport but performance is otherwise comparable between the two cars. Handling is much tighter on the Sport version probably because it only has 40,000 miles while the M Sport is pushing 95,000 on the original suspension. Provides a useful basis for comparison and I have added suspension renewal to my short "to do" list.

The M Sport package is largely cosmetic over the Sport package. It includes a different front grill (larger scoops on the sides), a different rear bumper panel (where the exhaust pipes protrude), a paddle shift steering wheel with the M logo at the 6 o'clock position, M logo on the rocker panels, and S2MFA BMW Alloy Wheel M Spider Spoke 193 wheels (the Sport version has the S2B4A BMW LA Wheel double Spoke 195 wheels). Under casual inspection, the wheels look nearly similar.

For what it's worth, the S688A Harman Kardon Surround Sound System in the M Sport is noticeably superior to the S645A BMW US Radio in the Sport version.

In execution, except for the stereo, I'm perfectly happy with the wife's Sport as compared to my M Sport. I rarely use the paddle shifters in the M Sport and haven't yet had anyone remark that it is an M Sport... If I were to purchase new, I would seek a Sport edition, forego the M Sport option, and put the money I saved into the Harmon Kardon sound system.

Hope this helps.
Yes, I like sports cars. However, in my maturity, I don't need the "Wow!" factor of cosmetics that come with the M Sport line.

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,616 Posts
I believe the M Sport has a higher top speed limit than the Sport but performance is otherwise comparable between the two cars.
Any difference in the top speed governor is determined by the tire & wheel package ordered when the car was built, not the Sport v. M Sport package. Cars equipped with standard-performance all-season tires received the standard governor programming (130mph). Cars originally equipped with a wheel & tire upgrade to summer "performance" tires also received the increased top speed governor (150mph; option S840A, High-speed synchronization), if available for the model.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts