BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I arrived at work in the morning and turned the car off. I pulled the keys out, grabbed the door handle, and "magic".......both the driver and passenger windows on my 2004 330i sedan lowered about 1 inch. I have no idea what it is that I did, but I have been unable to reproduce the event.

I am assuming that I accidentally activated a feautre that allows the driver to slightly lower the windows to help keep the car cool (which I want to do in the hot Florida summer).

Does anyone know what sequence of steps I must have inadvertingly followed to get the two windows to lower like that???

·
Keeping it surreal
43,248 Posts
If you hit the UNLOCK button twice & hold it down, all windows & sunroof will open....

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
What a coincidence! I was washing my car yesterday and exactly the same thing happened at some point! All 4 windows lowered about 25%... I was freaked out! Because I had just stopped hosing the car. I guess, the key in my pocket pressed against something... :dunno:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Did all the windows go down simultaneously? BC if you press and hold the key, the driver's window goes down first, shortyly followed by the others. If this was not the case, I too would like to know what happened!

·
I'm an agent of chaos
3,732 Posts
It seems that the drivers window could not have gone down first because they all stopped at about 25% down.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Did all the windows go down simultaneously? BC if you press and hold the key, the driver's window goes down first, shortyly followed by the others. If this was not the case, I too would like to know what happened!
I don't know. I just saw all of them open at 25%. It could have been either case but I did not notice until it had happened.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both of my widows (front driver and passenger) came down at the same time, but only about 1", same as you would do manually if you just wanted to crack them a bit to let the heat get out of the car while it sat under the sun.

Seems a lot of people have read this thread but no one seems to know how to duplicate the trick. Whatever it was, it was pretty cool.

·
Registered
182 Posts
in my car the front front windows open first, and then the rear, so theres a possibility you just triggered it for a very short amount of time

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
first the zhp rack, then this. what the heck are we driving?

·
Registered
110 Posts
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i just tried that with my car...... WHLOY POOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i cant believe it!!!!!!!!!!! i am soooooooooo stunned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
theres another feature i didnt know about!!!hahahahahahahaha

·
Properly chastised re: Xi
1,007 Posts
Seems to me it's gotten to be a more common feature. My Jetta did this, my mom's old Maxima did this, my brother's Accord does this .. turn key, turn and hold, windows & sunroof all open. Still it's a neat discovery if you didn't know it works and you see it happen ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
But how to you turn on and use this feature? I would love to be able to have my windows be cracked open in the summer months (90+ every day.)

·
Keeping it surreal
43,248 Posts
But how to you turn on and use this feature? I would love to be able to have my windows be cracked open in the summer months (90+ every day.)
Surely you`re familiar with "RTFM"? (amazing what you can learn) And the windows don`t open by themselves, you have to crack them manually before you walk away from the car. You *can*, however, lower the windows from about 100 ft. away as you`re walking toward the car.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
110 Posts
Seems to me it's gotten to be a more common feature. My Jetta did this, my mom's old Maxima did this, my brother's Accord does this .. turn key, turn and hold, windows & sunroof all open. Still it's a neat discovery if you didn't know it works and you see it happen ;)
all my old V-dubs did that aswell, but not with my remote form a distance.

·
The Boss of Nobody
3,695 Posts
For a while there were instructional videos in the owners circle on BMWUSA. Here's a pretty good compilation of nifty tricks. My wife was busting my chops for watching all the videos, but when we went to buy, I was more knowledgable than most of the salespeople I dealt with.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?threadid=44922

·
Registered
88 Posts
Surely you`re familiar with "RTFM"? (amazing what you can learn) And the windows don`t open by themselves, you have to crack them manually before you walk away from the car.
Why don't you RTFOP, I know how to open the windows with the remote. The OP describes a completely different feature that would be very useful to me living in a hot climate.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,248 Posts
Why don't you RTFOP, I know how to open the windows with the remote. The OP describes a completely different feature that would be very useful to me living in a hot climate.
What the OP described is a freak occurrence, not a normal feature....and exactly how would it benefit you more than opening the windows & moonroof *completely* from 100+ feet away on a hot day?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts