Bimmerfest BMW banner

1441 - 1460 of 1715 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Just replaced my original alternator with 334,000+ Km on it. Got caught by surprise so I needed a tow home. Fortunately it was daytime, so I wasn't stranded in the dark but I did get caught in rush hour traffic.....Anther Bimmer driver blocked a lane so I could push the car off to the shoulder. Gotta say thanks for that.

The replacement unit is supposedly a rebuilt and came in a Remy box , but when I opened it up, I found it has both a Valeo and a Remy sticker on it. Apparently it was manufactured in Poland and looks brand new. The price worked out to about 250 $CAN. I have also ordered a replacement regulator but don't expect that for a week or so.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Tried to install a Wagner front mounted intercooler on my 535xi today. Instructions included were "plug and play" with some minor trimming of plastic parts.

Yeah, right. That minor trimming is going to be some major trimming / removal of plastic parts. Front bumper will have to come off to do it. Getting the old FMIC out is actually very easy. That's when the fun starts.

Looks like a job for my indy. While he's in there, I'll have him install the new ER charge pipe.

I did a lot of research on this particular FMIC before I bought it. It really irks me that the companies that make these products either don't really check the fitment, or they mislead their customers. A $1,000 FMIC and charge pipe upgrade just turned into a $1,500 upgrade.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Tried to install a Wagner front mounted intercooler on my 535xi today. Instructions included were "plug and play" with some minor trimming of plastic parts.

Yeah, right. That minor trimming is going to be some major trimming / removal of plastic parts. Front bumper will have to come off to do it. Getting the old FMIC out is actually very easy. That's when the fun starts.

Looks like a job for my indy. While he's in there, I'll have him install the new ER charge pipe.

I did a lot of research on this particular FMIC before I bought it. It really irks me that the companies that make these products either don't really check the fitment, or they mislead their customers. A $1,000 FMIC and charge pipe upgrade just turned into a $1,500 upgrade.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts

Are you sure they actually said this with respect to an xi model? From my experience, we are mostly on our own to make things work for a 535xi.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I tried to get bugs off of the side view mirror. But it has that plastic on it. Can that be replaced because it doesn***8217;t seem like it can be cleaned?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Are you sure they actually said this with respect to an xi model? From my experience, we are mostly on our own to make things work for a 535xi.

Yeah, I checked it on numerous sites. It clearly said 535xi.

But you're right...xi's are in a category all their own. Lots of parts don't fit. It's always a risk.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
64 Posts
A week ago today, 3-24-18, did the LM1 to LM2 swap on my 06 530i. Went successfully.

Just have to troubleshoot why my DRL's aren't working.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Replaced left and right valve, upper timing cover gaskets new drive belt, new rad hose new vacuum pump gasket, new vanos solenoids, new intake and exhaust camshaft position sensors new spark plugs. Must say the works valve cover gasket replacement I have ever done

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
28 Posts
Replaced left and right valve, upper timing cover gaskets new drive belt, new rad hose new vacuum pump gasket, new vanos solenoids, new intake and exhaust camshaft position sensors new spark plugs. Must say the works valve cover gasket replacement I have ever done

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
390 Posts
Replaced windshield washer pump. Which meant removing wheel. Which was apparently put on by an 800 lb gorilla because it took my 200 lbs on a breaker bar to get the lug nuts loose.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Dressed up the wheels with lug nut covers from Amazon. $19
Had some door dings removed. $150
Bought a BMW travel mug that actually fits in the cup holder. $18

BTW while at BMW I talked to a service tech (remember when they were called mechanics?) and he said a good way to help keep brake dust off your wheels and make them easier to clean is use spray wax.

·
Registered
390 Posts
delete duplicate

1441 - 1460 of 1715 Posts