Bimmerfest BMW banner

1561 - 1580 of 1715 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had my turbos replaced over the last week. A special thanks to Rob Beck for a great upgrade and customer service. After months of gradual decline in performance (and having to drive it cautiously to avoid limp mode), I finally have my car back. I had almost forgotten the torque that was available in 3rd and 4th gear in normal driving.

I only plan to keep the car two more years, and I considered just getting rid of it and finding a 435 or 535 with around 30,000 miles on it instead of replacing the turbos. But after driving a brand new Infiniti Q70 and a new ES350 over the last couple of weeks while on vacation, I'm glad I didn't. Neither of those cars are even in the same league as mine, despite being almost 10 years newer. Now I can just save money the next couple of years and get what I want when the time is right. I realized that my 10 year old BMW is still a better car than many brand new luxury cars.

I thought I might like driving the Q70. It's rated at 330hp. What a disappointment. It tracked with every wave in the pavement. The car was all over the place. And I felt like my 328i xdrive was just as fast, if not faster, with 100 less horsepower.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had my turbos replaced over the last week. A special thanks to Rob Beck for a great upgrade and customer service. After months of gradual decline in performance (and having to drive it cautiously to avoid limp mode), I finally have my car back. I had almost forgotten the torque that was available in 3rd and 4th gear in normal driving.

I only plan to keep the car two more years, and I considered just getting rid of it and finding a 435 or 535 with around 30,000 miles on it instead of replacing the turbos. But after driving a brand new Infiniti Q70 and a new ES350 over the last couple of weeks while on vacation, I'm glad I didn't. Neither of those cars are even in the same league as mine, despite being almost 10 years newer. Now I can just save money the next couple of years and get what I want when the time is right. I realized that my 10 year old BMW is still a better car than many brand new luxury cars.

I thought I might like driving the Q70. It's rated at 330hp. What a disappointment. It tracked with every wave in the pavement. The car was all over the place. And I felt like my 328i xdrive was just as fast, if not faster, with 100 less horsepower.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Highly recommend it for the N62. I've had mine for almost 8 months now, it's been amazing.

Side note: The coolant temp sensor on top of the water pump tends to read poorly after years/mileage. If you get a colder thermostat, you may get increased emissions codes for the thermostat because of the sensor. Replacing the sensor fixes this. I've done it to my car and a customer's car and can confirm it fixed both. :thumbup:

*Sensor is like $20 and takes 20 minutes to replace*
This was the reason (emissions errors ) Ive put the thermostat on the back burner for years now .
this is great information , think Im going to finally get around to installing one . Thanks for sharing the solution to that problem ..

·
Under the lift arms
12,899 Posts
Washed it.. loaded it with the beach stuff.. removed all her **** out of the car that happens to accumulate in the door pockets....

prepared for the 400ish miles round trip

Going to barnegat lighthouse with the kids today

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
She's looking really good .:thumbup:
:bigpimp: I still miss my metallic silver though, shines so good in the sun.

Just a note since many people overlook this, myself included: Make sure to torque the front thrust and control arms when the vehicle on the ground or suspension is compressed to ride height.

It's amazing how dirty the PS fluid can get, mine was black as night.

Evan
Thanks :thumbup:, It was in the air while I did this, ill go back sometimes this weekend to re torque it, while on ramps instead.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't post here often, but over the last month and a half my 06 530i has received the following treatments:

- New KONI FSD shocks front and rear with Eibach springs, with all new hardware, spring mounts, bearings, etc.
- New front and Rear lower control arms - torqued at ride height
- New front sway bar links
- New front thrust arms - torqued at ride height
- Alignment
- Replaced brake/clutch fluid Pentosin Super DOT4- old fluid was black and took nearly 2 bottles to flush it out
- Replaced MT fluid with Redline MT-85 - old fluid looked like muddy water, my guess would be it had never been changed at 142k miles
- Replaced CHF11S power steering fluid
- Replaced differential fluid and fill plug with Redline 75W90 GL5 fluid
- Mobil 1 5W-30 oil change
- Sure HiFi Bluetooth card, interfaced with the aux input on my CCC
- Bluetooth handsfree coding for my iPhone 8 plus - tutorial from Roskinc - works well, and the person on the other end says it's nice and clear

I've been busy. Got some more to do, but this has come a long way since I've owned it and it's getting better as time goes. :thumbup:

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
been a while since i seen this thread....i guess everyone has been working hard or hardly working on their 5er :)

done a few small things in the past,

-oil change + (LM ceratec + LM oil saver) -this is becoming a must buy on every oil change.....
-idler pulley
-tinted headlights and tail lights
-RGB flash-to-pass lights as DRL
-rear window spoiler
-replaced Y connector on top of valley pan with a brass Y; thanks to @HF for this fix! (mine broke off immediately as i went to examine the area O_O)
-AC belt
-DMTL pump

coming soon:
-comport tune
-secondary cat delete
-starter
-wish bones
-front struts
-all season tires (conti DSW06)

·
Registered
403 Posts
-tinted headlights and tail lights
-RGB flash-to-pass lights as DRL
You modified your headlights so it's harder to see at night and installed colored lights which are illegal in most states?

Why not put a more restrictive intake and exhaust as to degrade engine performance while you're at it?

·
BMWCCA 12660
306 Posts
I DO NOT understand tinting the head and tail lights....and making your car less visible to others...and one other thing, what is the reason for NOT HAVING THE DRS's working....STUPID...STUPID...STUPID :dunno:
This is ONE of the Federally mandated features that make sense, there are others.....3rd brake light....Air Bags, Seat belts, and others...these are GOOD things.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
You modified your headlights so it's harder to see at night and installed colored lights which are illegal in most states?

Why not put a more restrictive intake and exhaust as to degrade engine performance while you're at it?
without asking or knowing details, a negative opinion was your first thought?

first off, the tint is very light, you can barely see that its tinted in the day time... at night it has no effect against HID XENON 's

and with he RGB's every state isnt the same, some are strict and some just dont care... where I live, they dont care. I've been behind and in front/behind of local PO's and sheriffs...

People in my area, are filled with modified cars, and are heavenly in the car scene, and they rarely mess with us.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
I DO NOT understand tinting the head and tail lights....and making your car less visible to others...and one other thing, what is the reason for NOT HAVING THE DRS's working....STUPID...STUPID...STUPID :dunno:
This is ONE of the Federally mandated features that make sense, there are others.....3rd brake light....Air Bags, Seat belts, and others...these are GOOD things.
it doesn't matter if it makes sense to you or not... im guessing you dont tint your windows either, everything is preference... like the above, the tint is light, at night you wont notice the tint is there.

i dont know what DRS is, but what im referring to is the flash-to-pass bulbs, i rarely use these, and they are only used for flashing other cars ahead of you, i dont use them, so i replaced them with RGB's for fun appearance, and can easily turn them off. I flash to pass with my exhaust.

·
Registered
403 Posts
without asking or knowing details, a negative opinion was your first thought?

first off, the tint is very light, you can barely see that its tinted in the day time... at night it has no effect against HID XENON 's
I don't need to know details to know that tint darkens things and limits light transmission, that is literally the point of it, headlights are not exempt from the laws of science and there is no way it has "no effect."

Yes, a negative opinion is what modifications like this deserve since it limits visibility and ultimately safety your you and others on the road.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
I don't need to know details to know that tint darkens things and limits light transmission, that is literally the point of it, headlights are not exempt from the laws of science and there is no way it has "no effect."

Yes, a negative opinion is what modifications like this deserve since it limits visibility and ultimately safety your you and others on the road.
of course it has an "effect", but not to the point there needs to be a debate about it, there's no difference that you can notice on the road, my XENON's still light up the road as if i didn't have any tint, same goes for the rear. :thumbup:

·
Registered
403 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
of course it has an "effect", but not to the point there needs to be a debate about it, there's no difference that you can notice on the road, my XENON's still light up the road as if i didn't have any tint, same goes for the rear.
You've got to love the law abiding citizens around this place, huh! :)

What I'm interested in are some tasteful pictures of your e60. Sounds like you have quite a unique ride.

-oldigoodie

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
the matter of the fact is, its my car, and just like everyone else on this forum and around the world, do what they want by preference to their vehicle... is it legal ? no will I get pulled over for it? maybe, but thats my risk and not yours.

I bet its people on here who have more illegal tint on their cars than it is people who have illegal light bulbs in their headlamps... and Im sure all of us has gone above the speed limit in our machines which is against the law, so dont be a hypocrite talking about laws and obeying the law.

this shouldn't be a debate at all... if you dont like it or disagree with it, fine don't comment on it.

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
You've got to love the law abiding citizens around this place, huh! :)

What I'm interested in are some tasteful pictures of your e60. Sounds like you have quite a unique ride.

-oldigoodie

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
sure thing, ill post some pics later tomorrow, not as unique as you think but, its unique in my area, no one has an e60 like i do, i try to stand out away from all the basic e60's riding around...

1561 - 1580 of 1715 Posts