Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after experiencing the polar vortex in Wisconsin and spending $300 on a battery because my car wouldn't start in the cold, I find out my car is misfiring. Took it back to the stealership today and they told me the indy didn't register my battery and that I needed to replace all coils and plugs at a cost of $1300. My car runs fine, aside from the misfire (raving slightly) in idle and going from 1-2nd gear, although can't really notice unless paying close attention. Overall, car drives well.

Upon questioning the service rep, he told me technically the 1st and 6th cylinder were misfiring and throwing codes and that the battery or cold could've caused the vanos code they saw. He said they moved coils around and it was the first and 6th coil. He recommended I replace all coils and plugs. He said this will likely solve my issue. What do you guys suggest? Do you think vanos has an issue? Should I just do all new plugs and 2 coils or do 6 plugs and 6 coils? Could I swing the cost of 6 coils and plugs, I suppose, but I'm a young professional and don't have money to throw around being a recent graduate. 2009 e91 with 127k miles, plugs last changed at 74k miles. Dealership wants $1300 and indy shop that I have had okay luck with said they will do all coils and plugs for $800 as well as register battery. Main question is do I do all plugs and coils, or just 2 coils and 6 plugs? Dealer recommended going from Bosch to Delphi coils. Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like a pricey bill from both the Indy shop and the stealership! I personally would go with Bosch over Delphi! I was getting misfires from my old Delphi coils... When I switched to Bosch my car ran like a whole different car!!! I paid around $160 for the coils and about $120 for NGK Platinum plugs... A total of about $500 less than the Indy shop and $1000 less than the stealership! I'm sure you can find good video on YouTube on how to do the job yourself... I would go with replacing all plugs and all coils if you choose to go that route... Don't just change one or two.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
If you could DIY the parts would cost you between 200 and 300 at places like
FCPeuro , Turner motor sport etc etc..
Plugs should be on the high end 12 bucks each on the low end 8 coils around 25 each.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What I personally do in such a case...
If you have a cyl 3 misfire for example
Swap coil 3 and 4
Erase codes
Run the engine

If you still have miss fire, check which cylinder.
If miss fire on cyl 4, defective coil pack
If still cylinder 3, check to push it a bit more, else might be your spark plug.

Also, pay attention... I read somewhere that if you have oil or other liquid it might creates miss fire with those coil packs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts