Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to Northern Virginia 7 months ago and am interested in getting the new M3 in a timely fashion. I went into a BMW dealer in early December and spoke to a salesperson there and inquired about ordering the car then. He said they weren't taken orders at that time. I called him yesterday and he told me with a $1000 deposit I can now order one with delivery hopefully by the end of the summer. I call another dealer in my area and was placed on hold for 1/2 an hour. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I just moved to Northern Virginia 7 months ago and am interested in getting the new M3 in a timely fashion. I went into a BMW dealer in early December and spoke to a salesperson there and inquired about ordering the car then. He said they weren't taken orders at that time. I called him yesterday and he told me with a $1000 deposit I can now order one with delivery hopefully by the end of the summer. I call another dealer in my area and was placed on hold for 1/2 an hour. Any suggestions?
Don't underestimate the power of a slowing economy; things have changed quite a bit for dealers just in the past few months. A few months ago I could not find a 335 convertible to test drive at any dealer within an hour of me - now I can go to any dealer and have my choice of cars, and take a thousand or two off of sticker. Get on a few lists, make a few deposits (if they insist on a check), and see what happens. You'll probably have one before too long. Of course the super M-enthusiasts will create a demand rush, but I am not sure how deep the demand will be; this is a pretty expensive 3 series. We'll see.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just try different dealers. I was #1 at my dealership with only 9 people on the list. I passed on the first one as I wanted to wait for the Dual Clutch Transmission. 2 weeks later they still didn't have anyone who wanted the first one. They have since sold it but the fact is with the economy slowing down, high end cars like the M3, M5, M6 will sit in dealerships unsold. Even so, BMW will continue to flood the market with M3's, like they did with the M5.

So if you keep checking around and wait for the "must have the car now" people to buy it at MSRP or higher, you'll soon be able to find an M3 probably with a slight discount. At $60K+ they ain't cheap and that limits the number of buyers.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Not sure that a slowing economy will have a huge effect on these cars. People spending $70K on automobiles usually aren't doing so with home equity money or require Congress' $1200 rebate check to help with the car. As long as the job market remains okay these cars will continue to sell....quickly....and at full MSRP. You might move up on the wait list a little faster if a few people drop off but that's about it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yes, the economy is flattened out. It is bad timing for the e92 M3 but at the same time, BMW anticipated it. They're not stupid. Anyway, case and point by summer you'll see some sitting around at MSRP. Let it cool for a bit. Also remember, when the economy was hot, the M5 was a hard car to find, but not even four-months after its launch you could find them at any dealership at MSRP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts