BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've been continuing my search for my used BMW and am on to a 1997 540i now. The first car I'd looked at was over here.

So the 97 540i in question has 145,000 miles and is owned by a gentlemen claiming to be a BMW tech. He says that the following maintenance has been done:

"Recent work includes, valve cover gaskets, crankcase ventilation system overhaul and coolant block plate. Inspection 2 was just performed which includes changing all fluids(except transmission), all filters and sparkplugs. Front control arm bushings, tie rods, drag link, rear lower ball joints, and all sway bar links front and rear were just replaced. Alignment was performed after replacement of these suspension items. Tires are all matching and in good condition. Has all owners manuals and booklets."

I spoke with him for quite a while on the phone and he seemed like a very nice, knowledgeable guy. He said that the power steering lines would probably need to be replaced soon and their was a rear brake rotor issue that he would fix before I bought the car. He is the third owner although has only owned the car for 2 months which seems a little suspect , but he said he switches car's often and my impression is if the guy has been a BMW tech for 17 years he could be buying older BMW's nobody wants to touch, fix them up and then sell them. The car also has maintained service records. At any rate I'm going to take the guy up on a test drive and see what I think. He's asking 5200 OBO. Thoughts???? Any other big questions I should be asking this guy? Appreciate any input :thumbup:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Does he have receipts for everything? I would also do a carfax.

·
-------------------------
1,643 Posts
Price seems pretty good, plus its OBO, Id offer $4500 and go from there.

I agree something doesnt sound right if hes only had it for 2months, youre probably right though he bought it for cheap and fixed it up to make a little profit. Test it out and see how it drives etc. You can always get a PPI done on it.....Id definitely ask to see the receipts and he should have them all since hes had the car for 2 months.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
spend 100 bucks...

Price seems pretty good, plus its OBO, Id offer $4500 and go from there.

I agree something doesnt sound right if hes only had it for 2months, youre probably right though he bought it for cheap and fixed it up to make a little profit. Test it out and see how it drives etc. You can always get a PPI done on it.....Id definitely ask to see the receipts and he should have them all since hes had the car for 2 months.

Good luck!
As suggested above, get another tech to look over the car (pre**** inspection)- it's money well spent. Fact is, this guy may be 100% on the 'up and up', but you don't really know that.....right??? If you REALLY like the car, spend a little now as it may save you considerable grief and reassure you about the purchase.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts