Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is what I've settled on:

1) Wash with dawn
2) P21s GEPC
3) P21s Wax
4) Am I supposed to use a QD next?

Anyway.... So what do I use to apply and remove this stuff? I was planning on foam to apply wax and MF applicators to apply the polish (GEPC) - then MF towels to remove both. Specifically, these two products:

http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/vipmicappad.html

http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/applicators.html

Am I on the right track here or are there better recommendations as far as both type and quality of applicator goes?

My other consideration: should I use a PC? With a PC you apply the product by hand, "Buff" with the PC and then final wipe with MF, correct???? Would I be much better off just going this route?

Any suggestions appreciated......... :bigpimp:

-Nick

BTW - car is a 2000 BMW 323i, silver, with significant time on the city roads, highways and in the snow/rain.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I use the round foam applicators for applying waxes/polishes and terry cloth applicators for applying leather dressing. I find that the foam distributes product more evenly on smooth surfaces. I like terry for more textured surfaces.

For the P21S products, the foam applicators should be fine. People who use sealants often prefer microfiber applicators.

Sorry, I can't provide any information about the PC. I use old fashioned elbow grease. :D

P.S. I used to live in Chester County, so I'm familiar with your road and weather conditions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awd330 said:
I use the round foam applicators for applying waxes/polishes and terry cloth applicators for applying leather dressing. I find that the foam distributes product more evenly on smooth surfaces. I like terry for more textured surfaces.

For the P21S products, the foam applicators should be fine. People who use sealants often prefer microfiber applicators.

Sorry, I can't provide any information about the PC. I use old fashioned elbow grease. :D

P.S. I used to live in Chester County, so I'm familiar with your road and weather conditions.
thanx! I can't imagine the salty/snow winters are any better up there :) Except I'm sure anything's better then PennDOT :bigpimp:

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
My Year round schedule (Note: does not include cleaning wheels, engine compartment or interior)

Note: No products are mentioned (Except P21S Paint cleaner since its a magical potion that brings out the luster) below since its my opinion that its not necessarily the product, but the surface preparation, product application and removal that makes or breaks a good product.

Twice a year
See washing method at bottom that I prefer to use.
~Wash with Dawn to strip old wax, rinse.
~Wash with quality car shampoo, rinse.
~Claybar using detail spray for lubricant (leftover rinse water acts as lube too)
~Rinse and dry
~Using Porter Cable (PC) I apply polish 2 ft. by 2 ft. section at a time.
~Remove polish after completing each section by hand with Microfiber towels.
~Using PC, apply P21S Paint Cleaner. Same method as polish.
~Remove P21S Paint Cleaner after completing each section by hand with 100% cotton towels.
~Using PC, apply quality wax, same method as polish.
~Remove wax after completing each section by hand with Microfiber towels (Don't use the same ones as for the Polish removal stage!)
~Use a finish detail spray with 100% cotton towels.

Total time: 4-6 hours, depending on 'interuptions' from my kids!

Every 3 months
~Rinse and dry
~apply P21S paint cleaner on a 2 ft. by 2 ft. section at a time by hand with a foam applicator.
~Remove P21S paint cleaner after completing each section by hand with 100% cotton towels.
~Remove wax after completing each section by hand with Microfiber Towels

Total time: 2-3 hours.

Once a week
~Rinse the car to begin with.
~Using a wash mitt, one linear motion, then flip the mitt, back across the same area, rinse in
2nd bucket, then back into the soapy bucket, repeat. I rinse off each section when finished.
~Use the straight hose to rinse entire car, which sheds 80% of the water if the car is waxed.
~Use a california water blade on the flat surfaces, and synthetic chamois to clean up areas the the CWB doesn't get.
~Griot speed shine (or any good detail finish spray) to complete the job.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ripsnort said:
My Year round schedule (Note: does not include cleaning wheels, engine compartment or interior)

Note: No products are mentioned (Except P21S Paint cleaner since its a magical potion that brings out the luster) below since its my opinion that its not necessarily the product, but the surface preparation, product application and removal that makes or breaks a good product.

Twice a year
See washing method at bottom that I prefer to use.
~Claybar using detail spray for lubricant (leftover rinse water acts as lube too)
~Rinse and dry
~Using Porter Cable (PC) I apply polish 2 ft. by 2 ft. section at a time.
~Remove polish after completing each section by hand with Microfiber towels.
~Using PC, apply P21S Paint Cleaner. Same method as polish.
~Remove P21S Paint Cleaner after completing each section by hand with 100% cotton towels.
~Remove wax after completing each section by hand with Microfiber towels (Don't use the same ones as for the Polish removal stage!)

Total time: 4-6 hours, depending on 'interuptions' from my kids!

Every 3 months
~Rinse and dry
~apply P21S paint cleaner on a 2 ft. by 2 ft. section at a time by hand with a foam applicator.
~Remove P21S paint cleaner after completing each section by hand with 100% cotton towels.
~Remove wax after completing each section by hand with Microfiber Towels

Total time: 2-3 hours.

Once a week
~Rinse the car to begin with.
~Using a wash mitt, one linear motion, then flip the mitt, back across the same area, rinse in
2nd bucket, then back into the soapy bucket, repeat. I rinse off each section when finished.
~Use the straight hose to rinse entire car, which sheds 80% of the water if the car is waxed.
~Use a california water blade on the flat surfaces, and synthetic chamois to clean up areas the the CWB doesn't get.
~Griot speed shine (or any good detail finish spray) to complete the job.
thanks for the very useful information!! :thumb:

two questions:

1) Why do you polish and use P21s cleanser? I thought the P21s stuff WAS a polish?

2) Why do you use cotton towels to remove P21s cleanser and MF for everything else?

thanx!
-Nick

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Paint cleaner will touch up("cover up if you will) the small swirls, but polishing will actually remove the swirls. Its been recommended to me to actually only polish a couple times a year since you are indeed removing a micro-thin layer of clearcoat. The P21S paint cleaner afterwords restores natural oils and "feeds" the finish. You can skip the polish phase if you have a light colored car, you won't see many swirls with light colors, but if you have a dark color, you'll want to polish to remove (not just cover up) those nasty swirls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts