BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
It pretty much looks exactly the same as the Behr or Nissens radiator, but I have never seen this one before. The problem with the OEM radiators is the plastic side tanks, specifically the neck for the 540i, and the expansion tank for the other models. From looking at it, in my personal opinion I don't think you would be any worse off with this one, since the Behr one is junk anyway. Like everyone else on here I would recommend the Zionsville, but that isn't in most people's budget, because the best solution is to just replace all the plastic on the radiator with aluminum. If you do get it let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
Stick with Behr or Nissens brands. They are not perfect but they are known "quantity".

This new brand "Rad" may be good or may be bad, basically an unknown "quantity".
Don't try to save $30-40 and later pay $4-5K for an overheated engine damage.

Do a cooling overhaul if more than 100K miles.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I bought one from this seller. Slipped right into place. The only issue I had was some molding slag in the hole at the bottom for the cooler hose. Had to break some slag away and clean it up so the hose would slide in far enough to engage the quick connect fully.

Probably the same mfg as Behr/Nissens without the brand name upcharge. Still a junk radiator with plastic end tanks that will eventually leak or rupture, but, I can replace 5 of these for the cost of one Zionsville. I got 100K out of the original, so for the cost of the Zionsville I can put on approx 500K miles. If she's still runnin' at 600K, I'll connsider a Zionsville :rofl:.
Its good for the maintenance schedule to replace every 80-100K miles, by then its about time to flush/change the coolant anyways. :rofl:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts