Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am one of the folks who would prefer the better ride while still retaining some of the handling. And while I am not sure I care for the new dash, I really like the interior being a bit more luxurious and not so industrial sports car. Will be waiting to be able to drive one to see if all that translates into the experience it looks/sounds like it will.

While some aren't happy about the stacked lights, I am genuinely pleased with the exterior lines to include those. The eye flows from front quarter to rear without interruption.

And 382HP?! Yes, please.

My wife isn't pleased about the loss of a hard top, but I think the plate in the front section will do fine in helping with noise reduction and heat retention in the winter. Less moving parts to go out is a plus.

This is the first car I have been excited over in a good while (that is within my willing budget). Just disappointing that that the M40i is the first car they show and will be the last to showrooms next summer. That is what I will want. We will see then if it ends up in my garage. I'm sure my wife will let me drive it on Mondays.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've looked over all the stats of the new Z, and think it is a mistake for BMW to abandon the hardtop convertible. I live in New Hampshire and would enjoy the hardtop in the Winter months.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I noticed one other thing about the new Z. There is no place for a front license plate. I would have had to drill holes in my front bumper, if Bavauto did not have a fix for the second plate. Why must we deface a $70,000 sports car to comply with the law for a front license plate. Europe requires a front plate, only much longer than any US plate.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I absolutely hate. I hate the new Toyota Z-3 1/2 with a passion. I despise the concept, the soft top, the overdone styling, and the kitsch adornments. Everything about this rice bred “bummer” is detestable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love my E89, especially the versatility of hardtop and convertible. Plus, I love the lines of the E89. I'm sure I'll soften on the new Z4 once it's in front of me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Test drove 2 yesterday. Pleasantly surprised by 4 cylinder. I will order a M40i.

There is a MotoMan review on YouTube with the 30i ... sounds like he is equally surprised!

·
ZEDHEAD
233 Posts
I really wasn't crazy about the show car but the production model looks great in pictures but I'm holding judgement until I see one in person.

Hoping I love it because I need another z4 after having an '06 3.0i & '14 35is the '17 M240 I'm leasing now is a great car but I'm not so crazy about the looks.

If I'm not crazy about it I will be looking for a used Z, either E85 or E89 will due, loved them both.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It looks much better in person ... I know, I read this a couple of times and I thought yeah, right, but I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw it in person. I thought these plastic inserts below the front bumper that hide some of the electronics looked awful in the pictures (depending on color), but they actually almost harmonize with the look of the car from the front - in other words, they were no longer a ***8216;problem***8217; for me.

Also, the back looks very busy in pictures, but once you see it in person, it just fits well within the complete picture & proportions of the car. It***8217;s a good looking car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I, too, like the appearance of the new Z4, but I think prospective buyers may wish to take into consideration the unusually harsh criticism of the Z4 that exists generally, and more specifically, regarding its appearance. That's going to get old. Of course, over time as new owners join the board there will be positive comments as well, but IMHO, pretty much like the response of Porsche owners to the 4-cylinder Boxster, the criticism of the Z4 will continue. Again, that's going to get old, and it's certainly not what someone coming to the brand expects to find on an enthusiasts' board.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am starting to like it better

I just wish they had a more traditional,Germanic, classy subdued way of being impressive. Like a modernized E89. The new one uses kitch and cliche. Too many slits and scoops. Bmw started with the cheek scoops on the M3. These had an impact. Now this Z just looks like the Asian wannabe cars to me, at least in photos. The big wide back end is impressive but that even emulates the MB SL styling which is not new anymore. MB and Audi and Porsche have stayed smooth and elegant and still set the standard for up-market simplicity.
The car pundits are not saying much.They assassinated the E89. All of them said the same things about the Z and the Bangle designs which actually were beyond their comprehension.at the time. Auto journos liked to copy-paste buzz words when they don't get it.
I have owned many sporty cars and my belief is that no one else notices or cares what my car looks like. But that does not mean I would purchase a car that is not appealing to me and my aesthetic concepts. End of rant and I do understand that this is all quite subjective.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the opportunity yesterday to visit the Vehicle Delivery Center in Jersey City with NJ Chapter of the BMWCCA. There were two Z-4 available to do everything but drive. I am interested in obtaining one so I was thrilled to see them. Really comfortable with a surprisingly large trunk.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cumberford Rocks

@Zyal8r

I couldn't agree with you more; the new Z4 is overworked with slits, scoops, and angles. It's lost a lot of the sensuality of the E89.

Not all pundits assassinated the E89: https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2009-bmw-z4-2/

I'd say Robert Cumberford's thoughts carry a bit more weight than your average car pundit!
Thanks =, I will archive that. I will even add a few thoughts. The E89 follows the 507 heritage and even the Z8 . Look at the grills and the side gills. I have seen them being shown all side by side and you could appreciate the bloodlines and heritage. If you put a G29 in that picture it would barely be recognized as a BMW.
If you find a Cumberford analysis of the G29 let us know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Local dealer had an E89 and the new Z4. The E89 was/is far better aesthetically speaking. The new Z4 is a design mess and gives off a plasticy appearance.

Trunks? Here is the interesting thing! The 89 has a much larger rear boot lid so when you open the rear trunk on the E89 you have greater access. Case in point: I have a carbon fiber folding bike. It easily fits in the E89 trunk. HOWEVER, the opening for the new Z4 is significantly smaller and the bike DOES NOT FIT through the smaller opening! Reminds me of the time I put a printer in the boot. Drove home with the rear lid open but the printer fit! Would never fit in the new Z4. Also, the new buttons in the interior/dash look cheap compared to the E89.

Sad really. BMW missed the mark.

Too bad BMW did not follow the Porsche model. REFINE REFINE REFINE. The E89 is a stunning looking car....but imagine it more refined with, e.g., slightly widened body work flaring over larger wheels and tires with bigger brakes and a more aggressive rear end and front end--evolving the E89 rather than creating a Frankenstein that has elements of Fiat Spider (front) and Corvette / SLS side and a generic BMW interior.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts